How do you light your base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gabe224

Jul 29, 2019
I am fairly new to modded minecraft so I usually just use torches, how about you guys?

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I am fairly new to modded minecraft so I usually just use torches, how about you guys?

I like those fancy thaumcraft balls of light (whitish-red) that look like they are floating mid-air. I forget what they're called.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I like those fancy thaumcraft balls of light (whitish-red) that look like they are floating mid-air. I forget what they're called.

You're thinking of Nitor.

I usually light up my magical parts with Nitor. In the 1.4 packs I make light fixtures using RedPower microblocks and lamps. I'm not sure how I will light up my bases in the recent 1.5 packs yet, I haven't built any proper bases in them.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I got into RP2 lamps. I use them in my floors/walls/ceilings (obviously), but it makes it look like lighting in some highly advanced tech-facility. You know, where the lighting is in the floor, and it's one dimmed LED spaced exactly where the lighting is perfectly even everywhere in the corridor. Of course I don't haven't achieved such thing. But that's how it is?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I got into RP2 lamps. I use them in my floors/walls/ceilings (obviously), but it makes it look like lighting in some highly advanced tech-facility. You know, where the lighting is in the floor, and it's one dimmed LED spaced exactly where the lighting is perfectly even everywhere in the corridor. Of course I don't haven't achieved such thing. But that's how it is?

I like using Christmas colors for my main home, and white for my factory buildings.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Lime green, cause that's what I have the most of. It also sticks with my hi-tech theme. White would've worked and I was considering black. Lime green just sorta made it look like "everything go" style. I wish they would change colour on RS signal. Like turn red when shit comes to pull or something (nuclear meltdown, watertank blow out, herobrine...)

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning on using gaseous glowstone, normal glowstone, liquid glowstone, and redstony goodness for my base.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Or even better. Red for red alert, all-hands to battle station. Orange alert for all non-military personal to quarters. Yellow alert for washroom break. White/green for normal standings.

Program redstone to do that. It'd be a lot of space tho.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Deathshroud09

Jul 29, 2019
Lime green, cause that's what I have the most of. It also sticks with my hi-tech theme. White would've worked and I was considering black. Lime green just sorta made it look like "everything go" style. I wish they would change colour on RS signal. Like turn red when shit comes to pull or something (nuclear meltdown, watertank blow out, herobrine...)

Turtle's connected to a redstone network would allow this, make them react to signals and break/replace the light blocks when appropriate.

Reactions: casilleroatr

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
On a previous build, I just dumped buckets of liquid glowstone out on my ceilings. The stuff seems to condense back into glowstone blocks if you try pouring them out above a certain altitude, though. :(

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.4.7 I used a combination of rp2 inverted lamps, xycraft lamps and nitor for my main areas. Staircases that ran to bedrock would be illuminated with glass encased lava fall in the central column. Jack o' Lanterns would function as a stand-in for glowstone/lamps before I have access to glowstone. I would still end up using a lot of torches in less developed parts of my base, or in an outpost.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the IC2 luminators, but make sure you place them on cables - they're a pain in the butt to recharge manually, and, so far, haven't found a way to use turtles or something to recharge them.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've always been fond of the IC2 luminators as well, but they are always a pain to wire up. Back in 1.4.7, I used RP fed watermills to dump out 2eu/tick in order to power them with tin cable. I wish there was a super low voltage transformer to convert down to 5eu/tick. An AESU seemed a little expensive for the task.

In 1.5.2, I'm using torches while I build out my base. In the first small level of my secret underground base, there isn't sufficient room for proper lighting, so I used gaseous glowstone.. It worked out pretty well. I just wish there weren't the random sparkles. I will likely use IC2 luminators for the rest of the base once I get it built.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I recently discovered that some mod or other in Unleashed allows me to create stone sticks out of two cobblestone (just like vanilla sticks with wood planks), and combining those with coal or charcoal lets me make stone torches. Same deal as vanilla torches, but they look a LOT better IMO. ;)

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I recently discovered that some mod or other in Unleashed allows me to create stone sticks out of two cobblestone (just like vanilla sticks with wood planks), and combining those with coal or charcoal lets me make stone torches. Same deal as vanilla torches, but they look a LOT better IMO. ;)
It's Tinker's Construct. Quite convenient, eh? :p.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I use square grid (every 64 blocks) of magnum torches at level 45 around my main areas, which allows me not to worry too much about lighting up to level 90 and make really efficient mob farms. It could be cheaper in a triangle grid, but I would probably mess it up.