How do you generate large scale MJ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
Making a ton of EU is easy, just use a nuclear reactor or two.

What methods do you use for large scale MJ production?

A field of combustion engines just seems cheesy. It will work, no doubt, but isn't there something larger?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of boilers with lots of Industrial Steam Engines, lots of Magmatic Engines... Lots of Biogas engines, lots of Force Engines...

Reactions: xbony2

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One max sized high pressure boiler will net you 144MJ/t. One max sized multifarm with oak is more than plenty to keep it running with charcoal. This is what im doing in my present build. If I use more power than that, a range trigger activates 20 Biogas engines(fuel by ethanos made with saplings from multifarm) delivering another 100MJ. If thats not enough a 24 Magmatic engines are triggered producing another 96MJ/t. Atm the Magmatics have never been needed(while running all the extrabees machines, MFR stuff and 2x quarries etc).

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Force engines fueled with liquid force (squeezed from logs) throttled by crushed ice nets 16 MJ/t. A fully upgraded (2 bronze and 2 tin electron tubes) nets 14 MJ/t at the cost of 50 EU/t if my math is correct. As far as I know there are no really massive power generation methods for MJ like there are for EU. I personally use force engines connected to redstone energy cells set to max output to keep the more demanding machines happy.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also, the main difference between Mj and Eu seems to be that there aren't really any MJ power sinks, like there is with EU and Mass fabricator and overclocked machines. If you just set up multiple parallel Redstone energy cells being fed by your production, their storage is cable of supplying any peak activity that you might have. Very few machines have any substantial steady MJ demand.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the main difference between Mj and Eu seems to be that there aren't really any MJ power sinks, like there is with EU and Mass fabricator and overclocked machines. If you just set up multiple parallel Redstone energy cells being fed by your production, their storage is cable of supplying any peak activity that you might have. Very few machines have any substantial steady MJ demand.

Well, there is MFR auto spawners that can run at 200 mj/t per spawner, MFR laser drill at 400 mj/t per drill, a MFR treefarm runs at 100mj/t, AE system at 200mj/t, extra bees machines run on hundreds of mj/t and then we have quarry's at 100mj/t per quarry. Quite a list there tbh :)

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
When I played on 1.4.7 I used several HP steam boilers running on fuel from a steves cart tree farm hooked up to industrial steam engines.

I haven't tried to generate much at all in my new world yet though so I'm going to stay tuned to see :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, there is MFR auto spawners that can run at 200 mj/t per spawner, MFR laser drill at 400 mj/t per drill, a MFR treefarm runs at 100mj/t, AE system at 200mj/t, extra bees machines run on hundreds of mj/t and then we have quarry's at 100mj/t per quarry. Quite a list there tbh :)
That is true. But with the quarries diminishing returns on energy supplied, giving it 100 MJ/t is rather a waste. You are much better off with 2-3 quarries then running at 30MJ/t. Also the extra bee machines are not really anything that you can keep running all the time. And the AE system I find much easier to just supply with EU.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
MFR biofuel generators, one bioreactor can provide enough biofuel to run I think it was ten gens (with a small gain in fuel) I had 6 reactors so 60 gens (items used were provided by a 21x23, 4 golem TC farm and one rancher for ink sacs), ~960 mj\t. Also had 10 magmatics and 2 max size LP boilers (on charcoal from a 3x3 MFR treefarm using ghostwood with no fertiliser)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Ranchers nerfed in the 1.6 version, just FYI. For everything that can be "milked" to say.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
on the server I play on I built 18 36hp boilers, sqid power yooo
oh 13 rancher 43 bioreactors, probably can power like 80+

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use MFR's bio generators for MJ production. You can prety much run a bunch of the things off just the output of a simple tree or crop farm (I'm partial to useing a melon farm auto crafting seeds and stuffing those in there) You can get better fule per item efficency if you deversify what you put into them but you can get away with just makeing a bigger farm. I had a bank of 40ish feeding my TE redstone energy cells back on my 1.5 world and never managed to seriously depleate the bank for very long unless I hooked a couple of the MFR mining lasers up to it for kicks. The nice thing is they are automaticly "smart" kind of like the IC2 geo thermals. If there is no demand for the power they automaticly turn off to avoid wasteing fuel. Yes I know you can do this with BC gates now on any MJ producer that responds to redstone but thats an extra step (and a non trivial one if seting up a large power bank)

Reactions: PierceSG

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
GregTech fusion reactor feeding power converters. No point in doing things half-way. Of course the resulting 8 max size quarries resulted in a save corrupting game crash.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use MFR's bio generators for MJ production. You can prety much run a bunch of the things off just the output of a simple tree or crop farm (I'm partial to useing a melon farm auto crafting seeds and stuffing those in there) You can get better fule per item efficency if you deversify what you put into them but you can get away with just makeing a bigger farm. I had a bank of 40ish feeding my TE redstone energy cells back on my 1.5 world and never managed to seriously depleate the bank for very long unless I hooked a couple of the MFR mining lasers up to it for kicks. The nice thing is they are automaticly "smart" kind of like the IC2 geo thermals. If there is no demand for the power they automaticly turn off to avoid wasteing fuel. Yes I know you can do this with BC gates now on any MJ producer that responds to redstone but thats an extra step (and a non trivial one if seting up a large power bank)
Wow thanks, I totally forgot about the MFR Biofuel generators. I have some excess biofuel and didn't want to make another boiler. These Biofuel generators looks very promising.