How do you feel about an Advanced Jetpack

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
As a player using Gregtech I don't mind it since it'll be fairly difficult to get it early on. I also like the fact that it doesn't lead to the gravichest unit at all. its a resource sink so if you do it too early it costs you for making other devices. Seeing as the quantum suit if stupidly expensive in Gregtech this could ease the pain until you can get a matter fab properly powered. For people using easier versions of IC2 I don't know if it'll be utilized as much.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
It was one of the first things I built in my mid-game world once it became available. The recipe is fairly complex and expensive, but nowhere near gravisuit-complicated.

What did I get?
  • An energy meter added to the HUD to let me know how much power I have left.
  • One extra inventory slot
  • The convenience of not having to land periodically to swap out my lappack and jetpack so I can break one block and instantly recharge my drill
  • The ability to turn it off so I don't fly every time I just want to jump
  • The ability to fly higher, which I very, very rarely need.
So it's a convenience, at a not-insignificant cost. I'm happy with it all around.

Reactions: Guswut and Moezso

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna have to agree with MrZwij...When I played my first FTB map I remember looking at the recipe for the gravichestplate and my nonexistent stock of iridium and just grumbling. I did make an electric jetpack as soon as I could and then went up the lappack progression, and I remember the times (yes, more than once) that I irresponsibly equipped my lappack in a dangerous area only to forget that I didn't have the jetpack on, resulting in the loss of both :( If this jetpack was available then, I would have been quite content to work up to it.

If people are worried about this jetpack auto filling tools with power, then you could always just do what I used to and unequip your jetpack to put on a lappack. If your tools are draining it too quickly, then just be cognizant of what you're doing... i.e., don't spam a mountain with your jackhammer or vajra... if that's your plan, then carry a separate lappack to equip, or keep a bag with an electric wrench / omnitool, an MFSU, and a large capacity battery pack or 2 to recharge your pack on the go. I usually play with a friend or 2 and we always have 1 shared enderpouch so that if one is at home and the other is exploring, we can just charge each other's stuff through any distance.

Reactions: Moezso

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna have to agree with MrZwij...When I played my first FTB map I remember looking at the recipe for the gravichestplate and my nonexistent stock of iridium and just grumbling. I did make an electric jetpack as soon as I could and then went up the lappack progression, and I remember the times (yes, more than once) that I irresponsibly equipped my lappack in a dangerous area only to forget that I didn't have the jetpack on, resulting in the loss of both :( If this jetpack was available then, I would have been quite content to work up to it.

If people are worried about this jetpack auto filling tools with power, then you could always just do what I used to and unequip your jetpack to put on a lappack. If your tools are draining it too quickly, then just be cognizant of what you're doing... i.e., don't spam a mountain with your jackhammer or vajra... if that's your plan, then carry a separate lappack to equip, or keep a bag with an electric wrench / omnitool, an MFSU, and a large capacity battery pack or 2 to recharge your pack on the go. I usually play with a friend or 2 and we always have 1 shared enderpouch so that if one is at home and the other is exploring, we can just charge each other's stuff through any distance.
You could take it a step further and use a wireless remote/enderpouch/redpower setup. Put chargables in pouch, press button on remote, wait, remove charged items from pouch. Also, your point about forgetting your lappack is on instead of your jetpack and falling in lava or something is the reason I love this thing so much.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Anybody who has ever jumped off a nether fortress with a lappack on will appreciate this thing.

Not that I've ever done that. No way. Never.

Reactions: Molten and Growle

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
LOL yeah. My friend did that I mean, YES I was talking about my friend....

:oops: * walks away whistling*