How do you decide what to build next?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Usually that means more automation, but sometimes it can mean replacing cobble with something prettier before my eyes start to bleed.
This reminds me, the Wand of Equal Trade is your best friend. Just build your structure with the ever-abundant Cobblestone until you can get something prettier, then swap it out by the stackload. Hell, I just finished my new foundations last night and went crazy changing it into the bricks that had baked up while I was laying them down. Then threw the cobble I swapped back into the Hoppers to cook overnight. There's a lot to brick up, 26x26 from 70-something down to bedrock.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
This reminds me, the Wand of Equal Trade is your best friend. Just build your structure with the ever-abundant Cobblestone until you can get something prettier, then swap it out by the stackload.

That is exactly what I do. The Wand of Equal Trade is my best friend, and will continue to be until the Mercurial Eye finally makes its glorious, triumphant return.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That is exactly what I do. The Wand of Equal Trade is my best friend, and will continue to be until the Mercurial Eye finally makes its glorious, triumphant return.

Do we have any confirmation that it'll be coming back?

Because if not, I'd suggest a two prong attack on this: First, we build a time machine, and skip a month into the future until we see the first release of EE3 that isn't in prerelease status.

Secondly, we build another time machine, and skip back into the past to seed the universe to allow for EE3 to have the Mercurial Eye because that'd make life a whole lot easier. The EMC system rework is going to be interesting to watch work with this.

But yes, we are going to require time machines.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
Do we have any confirmation that it'll be coming back?

Yes, thank god. Pahimar confirmed that the Mercurial Eye will return, back when EE3's thread was only a few dozen pages long and had yet to crush his soul with its legions of whiners. Apparently, it was one of his first suggestions to Xeno, and he loves it too.

The Mercurial Eye was my absolute favorite item from EE and I've written several heart wrenching poems about how much I miss it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The Mercurial Eye was my absolute favorite item from EE and I've written several heart wrenching poems about how much I miss it.

Really? I'm calling you out on that, because that seems a bit extreme. I mean, yeah, I was willing to build two time machines to change the future and the past, but writing some poems?

On a more serious note, that'll be good beans indeed. We've got EE3 installed and it just sort of sits there and stares at the wall as we run around with all of the other mods. Perhaps we come back for some obsidian, or a coconut or two (HarvestCraft, why don't you transmute! Hahah), but it is mostly just ignored. Ah well.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
"Oh Mercurial Eye
Your absence makes me sigh
I miss you more than the ability to fly
Without you, my base is a pigsty
It looks like it was built by a magpie
Oh... Mercurial Eye"

...well, I never said they were GOOD poems.

Reactions: Whovian and Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
"Oh Mercurial Eye
Your absence makes me sigh
I miss you more than the ability to fly
Without you, my base is a pigsty
It looks like it was built by a magpie
Oh... Mercurial Eye"

...well, I never said they were GOOD poems.

Hahahah! Well played. Well played, indeed. I'd say send that over to the EE3 team, and make a note using cut out letters/words from newspapers saying something like "If you want me to stop sending you poems, add the mercurial eye!".

Reactions: Katrinya

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I usually have a really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really bad habit of saying building something will costs too much resources, then get bored of manual mining, but then I dont have enough resources for a quarry (Usually the diamonds and/or gold) + 3 hobb steam engines + an aqueous accumulator (Seriously though, the quarry will auto fill the engines with the coal it mines, so you will never have to refuel it once it gets down to mining coal.) then I get bored of the game, then I log in a day later, work on a few pointless things that don't do anything for me, then get bored again. Sadface.
My problem kind of tends to coincide with this except that my problem is that I don't get ideas to build things. It's always been my problem in life. People always tell me how good I am at certain things and ask why I don't do more with it and I always tell people that I don't know what to do with it. All the ability in the world is useless if you have no clue what to do with it. Then if I do find something I could do a good amount of the time I trivialize the project and write it off as pointless. Then continue to mine and do another vanilla type things until I find something to do or just get tired of playing the game.