How do you decide the progression of your base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zen300

Jul 29, 2019
My last base was a two building base. First building was trophy and magic and bed place. Whereas the second building was all the tech, both BC and IC2 stuff and tanks upon tanks.

My current base plan in the direwolf20 pack is actually one building with a more modular design. I already have a core of the building setup with plans for a room or extension that will be used for the various mods. This combined with the modular design of the base allows me to very easily add another room for what I need. Right now as it stands only two rooms are actually planned out; Thaumcraft4 and Ars Magica 2.

And I think going forward I will keep using this modular design for my bases, I do owe a bit of the inspiration credit to the MFFS base that Dire made.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
First I find a relatively flat area to built on the edge of multiple biomes. Then I proceed to clear the landscape and place torches everywhere. If I can get a bed made in day 1, I won't need any walls and can stay out in the open with torches everywhere, but if not the case I will try to build 2 high walls in the general outline of my building and will build up later when I get more resources. I then go mine and mine and mine until I find enough diamonds for a quarry. After that I try to build up a power source to power my quarry. After that I focus on actually building up my 2 high walls into a nice looking base. Then if the mod has it I make power armor. By now I will have come up with a huge goal.

Right now I am playing Finbarhawkes's modpack (similar to infamy) with the goal of making a factory that will mass produce missiles. I have just finished upgrading my power armor and am planning on building an me system next to sort out my inventory and building either a UE fusion reactor or a ton more solar panels to have a massive amount of power.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Spend a lot of time looking for a good flat BoP biome neighboring a mountainous one, build hidey-hole, raid villages. Then make a smeltery from TiC, double ores etc. I get to magic (Thaumcraft) after I have "everything" else because I then just have to find the right order to scan and I can scan everything. I have been, as of late, trying to force myself to make builds nice sooner rather than later. If I want power, I need a dedicated shop etc. End game is usually a giant themed build. The last was an underground village; I quarried a 64*64 square that was 20 blocks high (lit with wrath lamps), and made a simulated town, complete with buildings for various occupations etc, all underground.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
(btw dont use the pink wood for a door if your a dude, trust me)
But...what other door is more appropriate for the entrance to my breeding area? *waggles eyebrows*

I have a 'Hovel of Shame' that progresses to a small house. Then I build more houses, until I have a town, each large, non-atmospheric house having a specific function. Then I build a wall around the whole thing, build a fortress suitable for an evil overlord, populate the village with villagers, and then sacrifice them in an underground shrine. Muahahaha~! :D

Or, that's what I've been planning for awhile anyway.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Hovel of Shame like Saice, then build the main base and its facilities while still living in the Hovel of Shame, expand the Hovel of Shame (aka a bunch of 9x9 connected without walls to each other, full with resources and machines) and when the build is finally done, move everything using pipes/turtles/carts/AE/LP.
For example, a build I did (never saw the internet) was a missile silo that was placed underground, took a bunch of chunks (9 in a 3x3 square), featured 4 rocket areas (the corner chunks) and the only visible thing on the top... Was the Hovel of Shame, 50 blocks away. My bed was the last thing I took from there.

Don_Quijote

Jul 29, 2019
I most times experiment in creative and come up with a layout for my base. It's one massive fortress with many distant branches, so there is room for everything. I love absolute efficiency, thats why everything somehow has to be close in the central building. The rest is just a big village. Sadly I just startet with ftb, so I have some planning to do when unleashed 1.6.4 releases^^. Bofore I had my own modlist, which wasn't very far from vanilla. Somehow that became boring, because while constructing the main building, there was nothing to fill it with anymore...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Bofore I had my own modlist, which wasn't very far from vanilla. Somehow that became boring, because while constructing the main building, there was nothing to fill it with anymore...
Yeah that's a problem that I tend to get as well even in modded MC. Once you have build housing for all your machines etc. motivation to keep building can be a bit low at times, despite that I quite like building architectural/aesthetic structures. Its just not the same when you have nothing to put in it. And even if I do manage to build it, I just don't put the same detail into it as my main builds.
Have recently finished my take on the Hatchepsout's Temple in Egypt, but other than stairs a a few other bits, I haven't been able to muster the motivation to really go over it with some microblocks.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The problem I find with starter holes is that I tend to stay where they are, because all my infrastructure is setup there. The only base I've ever managed to successfully move out of is the very first base on my very first world. I moved almost a thousand blocks away into a pair of towers I'd set up in a valley at the corner of my minecart track. I originally designed it to move sand, but that didn't pan out. It was surprisingly easy to pack the entire base into a single AE system, and then pack that all into a single chest cart and connect it to a Steve's Cart 'loco'. Would have been fine if I hadn't ridden along and had a Creeper blow up the train when it stopped for the night. (Because being a Noob I only had a solar panel on it.)

My base progression tends towards expand as I need it. I tend to use mostly outdoor machinery, and only if I need to, constructing a building around them later. I tried the large open layout with my second Unleashed base, with a dirt wall around it, but it never quite worked. I kept getting mobs inside the zone anyway.

My 'hovel of shame' is almost always wooden, and usually box shaped, but I prefer even numbered construction, so I can have double doors. I usually use cobble stone for 'furnace' rooms because it bothers me to put burning things in wooden rooms, even though there's no mechanic for them catching fire from a furnace. Compressed cobble looks really good for that purpose. Fits the decor and looks like the furnace.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, well if my original Hovel is a hobbit hole, then usually I convert it into the entrance of the grand underground complex that I dug out underneath it anyway.

Underground is cool.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Would have been fine if I hadn't ridden along and had a Creeper blow up the train when it stopped for the night.

LOL. Great image !

I picture a band of creepers with Western bandana-masks, riding spiders, and robbing stagecoaches and trains of unwitting guys named Steve with their city-slicker solar panels.

Your train robbery was too smart for simple Creepers. I sense an Enderman behind that plot....

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
What's really creepy is that there actually was an enderman nearby. I know because after I put everything back together, I went after him for the ender pearl to power the anchor cart. He got away. So he was the master mind then...

Alfred the Butler

Jul 29, 2019
When I first start out in a new world, I usually just find the nearest cave and start to mine it out for supplies, find some sheep and just sleep the night. Then as mentioned before, I too get a jet pack and fly around. Once I find a giant mountain i usually hollow it out, and then I build floors or chambers inside of it. Once that is done I then proceed to Focus solely on power generation. After I have a boat load of power gen. I then work on automated mining and resource gathering. After all that is done, then it's on to automation and other things. After all that is done, then it's time to put in the fancy parts, just make it look good. Maybe add a mine cart railroad system on the inside.

I love my mountain bases, they work so well! :)

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
I almost all the time build my basic chest system on dirt level in basic small wood house. Then dig down to the basement and there i put my machines (ore processing etc). Also i make new building for Thaumcraft stuff. Later in game i expand basement to put more machines & power system. Also i make building for bees.

But right now i will like to build underground base - similiar to Etho has made in his single player vanilla MC base.
I like building inside a big mountain and then make rail system to every interesting places.
Good that 1.6.4 packs came out.

The system of building is different when you're using different mods - especially biomes mod. You must walks thousands blocks to find the best "spot".

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
What I've always wanted to do was hollow out a volcano and live in it. I hardly ever play in survival anyway ( apart from servers) and always mess around on a superflat world and build factories until i corrupt the world or the lag becomes unplayable.

beauedwards1991

Jul 29, 2019
I usually find a hilly bit with a flat top, level it out a bit and build a small base. I then go outside and start a mine (well away from the area) and find tons of iron and gravel. I then start with Tinkers, creating the über Stone Hammer. Chuck a diamond, emerald and a TE3 leadstone capacitor (eventually) and build underground rooms. Then take over the world.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
"In a hole in a ground, there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole full of worms and oozy smells. This was a hobbit-hole and that means good food, a warm hearth, and all the comforts of home."
That is my first home, with a small garden outside and a fence to keep out nosy neighbors with all their moaning and clattering.

After a fashion, I find a large mountain, and carve out an impressive keep inside the hollowed cavern. Everything is then grown and maintained inside my thick stone walls. I start my appropriation of villagers into becoming my subjects, and give them warm homes too dwell inside.

Reactions: Jess887cp

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
First is my 'nomadic' phase. Just to make things interesting, I like to start off using exclusively TiCo tools, which means building three tables and carrying around some patterns as I move around until I find a place I like with good natural resources nearby. During this phase, I tend to hide in little holes in walls and the ground to hide from the creepy crawlie things around, assuming I can't use a bed for woolen temporal anomalies.

Once I find a good place, I build my version of a Hovel of Shame, which should probably better be called the 'Foyer', since it tends to be the base's entrance. Frequently, I will use the Natura Redwood Tree because I can scale up and down vertically with the elevator blocks and leave the environment largely untouched (until I start my industrial farming started).

From there, I set up base, then do some mining, and proceed from there.