How do some of you play this game without breaks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe steal minetweaker from another pack (e.g. Crash Landing) remove the stuff that your pack doesn't have, and play that (and make sure you have at least the same mods as the pack that has) and you may find yourself enjoying the new recipes...
Circuit Boards for Machine Frames = time consuming, but not annoying

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Install Gregtech in a 1.7 world. Problem solved.

Check.

I've enjoying the hell out of @Jason McRay 's InfiTech2 pack. It's centered (balanced) around GT 5. There lots of other mods besides GT 5, but he has taken full advantage of Minetweaker to keep anything else from overshadowing GT. You proceed at the pace of GT.

Not easy and not boring. Lots and lots and lots of challenges.[DOUBLEPOST=1411663142][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or maybe steal minetweaker from another pack (e.g. Crash Landing) remove the stuff that your pack doesn't have, and play that (and make sure you have at least the same mods as the pack that has) and you may find yourself enjoying the new recipes...
Circuit Boards for Machine Frames = time consuming, but not annoying

Well, yeah, that's why GT has the Assembler. You should only build a few circuit boards by hand. The rest should be super-easy.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well, yeah, that's why GT has the Assembler. You should only build a few circuit boards by hand. The rest should be super-easy.
You'd still need a way to automate the production of the bits needed to make the circuit board; transistor, PCB, etc.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Check.

I've enjoying the hell out of @Jason McRay 's InfiTech2 pack. It's centered (balanced) around GT 5. There lots of other mods besides GT 5, but he has taken full advantage of Minetweaker to keep anything else from overshadowing GT. You proceed at the pace of GT.

Not easy and not boring. Lots and lots and lots of challenges.[DOUBLEPOST=1411663142][/DOUBLEPOST]

You'd still need a way to automate the production of the bits needed to make the circuit board; transistor, PCB, etc.
I feel like you two aren't on the same page anymore.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Probably, if Migu hasn't played Crash Landing, then they may not have known I meant the PneumaticCraft circuit boards...
Or if it is just that I have no idea how GT assemblers work and am a derp :p

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Probably, if Migu hasn't played Crash Landing, then they may not have known I meant the PneumaticCraft circuit boards...
Or if it is just that I have no idea how GT assemblers work and am a derp :p

Ah....right. I meant IC2/GT circuits, not PneumaticCraft. PC was in InfiTech1 for MC 1.6.4, but is not in InfiTech2 for MC 1.7.10 .

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I currently prefer playing smaller modpacks with a better focus. At this moment I'm playing Ultra Hardcore Survival from ATLauncher. Getting things done in that modpack is a lot harder then usual (you need a Thaumcraft hoe of growth to even be able to start with magical crops for example) and that forces me to go through things more slowly then I would normally do. I have lots of old worlds that I got bored off but I sometimes go back to them to revisit the past.

It also helps not to try to do everything. Sometimes I go for a totally tech approach and totally ignore magic. But with UHS I'm now going a full magical route instead.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I also like to mix it up. I sometimes do magic, other times I do tech, other times I mix and match.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The majority of my playing* is in a superflat world with cheat mode, so I can test stuff for the wiki.

Though, when I do play a normal world, there are a number of reasons I stop.
  1. I get bored of the pack/world/base
  2. My base is ugly
  3. My computer can no longer handle that world
to name a few

I mostly play GregTech, RotaryCraft, Witchery, and Flaxbeard's Steam Power. All of those mods are consistently (except FSP due to Flax's burnout, lack of motivation, and lack of time) adding new and innovative content. I also get sneak-peeks to the latter two (FSP and Witchery) due to frequent contact with the mod authors, so I get to get hyped/hype people on the WNIMM thread :D.

*not really playing, because it's just seeing how stuff works.
*1.4.7 DW20 world: 1.5 packs came out
*1.5.2 Unleashed world: StaffCraft server started
*1.5.2 StaffCraft server: server crashed and died
*current 1.7.10 private server: ??? (hit by a bus, hopefully not?)
Basically this.

* 1.4.7 Ultimate world: We all got bored, server then died.
* 1.5.2 "wgt test pack" + several new mods: Got bored of playing creative mode
* 1.5.2 Unleashed: StaffCraft server started
* 1.5.2 StaffCraft server: server crashed and died
* 1.6.4 "TechAdventures" pack: My computer could no longer handle it, and 1.6 FTB packs came out
* 1.6.4 Monster test version server: world resets got annoying, and Law and I were the only ones ever playing on it.
* 1.6.4 Blood N Bones test server: BnB...
* 1.6.4 Magic World: everyone stopped playing on the server
* 1.7.2 GT server (the one before you came on, Flipz): I got tired of looking at our ugly base and stopped playing :p
* current 1.7.10 private server: Still playing :D

Perhaps I should stop playing packs with 250 mods?
Probably. I don't generally play packs with more than 40 mods these days, and even that is really pushing it.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has played every version since B1.2, it's all about the community. I mean, for the longest time, I ran servers, and that's where I had my fun. Either helping others, trolling my friends, or just goofing off in Mumble carried me through for a long time. 1.7 is the only version I played on without friends and a server, and well... it's noticeably more boring and tedious. (However, since Destiny released, I have only been playing Minecraft maybe an hour a day)

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I find having a few different worlds with a few different modpacks.... that tends to keep things pretty fresh. That said I play several games and will take breaks to play everything from Dwarf Fortress, to Rifts, or World of Tanks.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has played every version since B1.2, it's all about the community. I mean, for the longest time, I ran servers, and that's where I had my fun. Either helping others, trolling my friends, or just goofing off in Mumble carried me through for a long time. 1.7 is the only version I played on without friends and a server, and well... it's noticeably more boring and tedious. (However, since Destiny released, I have only been playing Minecraft maybe an hour a day)

I have a hard time playing with others outside of 1 trusted friend that rarely plays. I just find that playing with someone I just met (or don't know at all) can be annoying. They may do something I don't like, like put a building smack in the middle of somewhere I was planning on putting something. They may use my mats. They may mine out or take tons of rare items from the overworld. They may destroy large chunks of land. Etc, etc.

At the same time, I feel the game can get pretty stale when you don't have anything to show to other people. It's also infinitely harder to learn stuff on your own instead of learning tricks from other people.

Reactions: Wagon153

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I have a hard time playing with others outside of 1 trusted friend that rarely plays. I just find that playing with someone I just met (or don't know at all) can be annoying. They may do something I don't like, like put a building smack in the middle of somewhere I was planning on putting something. They may use my mats. They may mine out or take tons of rare items from the overworld. They may destroy large chunks of land. Etc, etc.

At the same time, I feel the game can get pretty stale when you don't have anything to show to other people. It's also infinitely harder to learn stuff on your own instead of learning tricks from other people.
Well, there's always a danger of that on servers. I had a strict set of guidelines, and a whitelist application, and I only had 2 people I actually had issues with. Communication between everyone really makes things go smooth on a server.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
pads out his lets plays by automating stuff that doesnt need automated.

Blasphemy!!!! If it's not automated it's not done. And no, giving something the ability to flood your storage is not automated, if it doesn't shut off or craft on demand it's not done.