How do modpacks update?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Xellinus

Jul 29, 2019
Odd question perhaps but i'm curious as to the specifics of modpacks and their updates.
We're all looking at the new 1.6.4 but Unleashed is sitting in 1.5 land. Will that ever be updated to 1.6 or will we all just end up with an entirely new modpack to deal with?

Short story shorter: Should i wait for Unleashed to hit 1.6 or just start cobbling together a new pack for the server we play on?

-X

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Even amongst the major updates, this (the 1.5>1.6 one) one is a doozy. Not only have they messed around with the way that textures are loaded, and the file structure, they've added a new launcher that makes it more difficult for the FTB launcher to function.

At present, there are a few "key" mods that are still missing from the update lists (Thermal Expansion and MFR are usually mentioned here), and they could do with either updating or dropping (both of which are big decisions).

In addition to this, they have a new launcher to roll out (something they haven't needed to do since the first beta pack).

I'm not going to pretend to know the timescales associated with this, but, as far as I can tell, you're best off cobbling your own pack, at this point, if you're wanting 1.6.X, but you have to deal with the support and missing mods that come along with that.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to add a questing does anyone know if an update for unleashed is planed within the 1.5 MC version?
We on our server like to get our hands on the updated forge multipart so that we could use the saw on more blocks than the vanilla ones. I don't want to update manually because i'm afraid it could cause problems when the pack is officially updated (if there will be an update).

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The majority of the Unleashed mods are on the final 1.5.2 versions and the mod developers have moved onto 1.6. I'm not saying there wont be another 1.5 update but if there is it will only be a small one. I think it's safe to say FTB are now looking at 1.6 mod packs and the 1.4 and 1.5s are left locked.

Reactions: Xellinus