How do I distribute the goodies into portions?

KruSion

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently playing FTB monster and I have a tree farm that's making me charcoal which fuel steam dynamos and then the RF fuels other machines etc. The problem is the tree farm is working too well and I'm having too much charcoal for me to use, so I thought I portion some of the wood out instead of me having to go gather some wood every now and then.

I want to let's say have 30% of the wood going into barrels and the rest going into the furnaces. I know I can always making a smaller tree farm next the main one and have it feed on the main one's energy but that would be wasting space and won't look nice. I'm currently using iron furnaces ( which I might change to redstone furnaces later, not sure if it'd be more efficient or not) and using transfer nodes and pipes form extra utilities to transport everything, storing the charcoal into deep storages and the rest into barrels. ( also is there a huge difference between the normal factorization barrels and JABBA's barrels?)

I'm not sure if you can do something like that with AE, I haven't played with it yet and i don't want to get into it just yet so avoid that please.

Thanks in advance.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently playing FTB monster and I have a tree farm that's making me charcoal which fuel steam dynamos and then the RF fuels other machines etc. The problem is the tree farm is working too well and I'm having too much charcoal for me to use, so I thought I portion some of the wood out instead of me having to go gather some wood every now and then.

I want to let's say have 30% of the wood going into barrels and the rest going into the furnaces. I know I can always making a smaller tree farm next the main one and have it feed on the main one's energy but that would be wasting space and won't look nice. I'm currently using iron furnaces ( which I might change to redstone furnaces later, not sure if it'd be more efficient or not) and using transfer nodes and pipes form extra utilities to transport everything, storing the charcoal into deep storages and the rest into barrels. ( also is there a huge difference between the normal factorization barrels and JABBA's barrels?)

I'm not sure if you can do something like that with AE, I haven't played with it yet and i don't want to get into it just yet so avoid that please.

Thanks in advance.

easiest way I think would be to use itemducts, with the furnace ducts set to vacuum and the barrel ducts set to dense
this will allow the wood to first go into the furnaces, and when there's no room in the furnaces it'll then be send to the barrels
you could also set the output duct to round robin but that'll send the resources evenly to all the destinations

KruSion

Jul 29, 2019
I'll check that round robin later might have a use for it somewhere else. But for now how do I connect the itemducts with the extra utilities pipes? And how do i set it to dense or vaccuum? I currently have like 12 furnaces or something so they never over flow. Gotta remove a couple now.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'll check that round robin later might have a use for it somewhere else. But for now how do I connect the itemducts with the extra utilities pipes? And how do i set it to dense or vaccuum? I currently have like 12 furnaces or something so they never over flow. Gotta remove a couple now.

you can't directly connect ExU pipes onto itemducts, you'll need to put a buffer inventory inbetween, like a chest for example
you change the modes on itemducts by simply right clicking the itemduct with a wrench, just a simple right click, so no shift-right click

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
I made a small example tree-farm for you, using MFR harvester/planter combo and itemducts/barrel for storage. I only used itemducts, no XU pipes etc.

http://imgur.com/a/Kqz6S

This is just an example though, everything aligned to make it easier to understand. You can be quite creative with these pipes once you understand the basics.

I haven't used vacuum and round-robin modes in this system because it's not needed. Itemducts always try to insert items into the nearest inventory. If you keep that in mind while designing the farm, you'll get pretty easy to understand systems.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks in advance.
Why not let all the wood go to a storage and then set it up(with AE, LP, Itemducts, whatever your preferred automation) so that the furnaces produce charcoal either on demand of the engines or to keep a constant stock that the engines can draw from? Much simpler and robust than splitting off a certain percentage somewhere.

KruSion

Jul 29, 2019
I made a small example tree-farm for you, using MFR harvester/planter combo and itemducts/barrel for storage. I only used itemducts, no XU pipes etc.

http://imgur.com/a/Kqz6S

This is just an example though, everything aligned to make it easier to understand. You can be quite creative with these pipes once you understand the basics.

I haven't used vacuum and round-robin modes in this system because it's not needed. Itemducts always try to insert items into the nearest inventory. If you keep that in mind while designing the farm, you'll get pretty easy to understand systems.

pretty straight forward thanks, I'll follow the base line but will change it to suit me better!

and @rhn I already have chest that pulls stuff from the harvester to the transfer node as a buffer but it's always empty with all those speed upgrades :D[DOUBLEPOST=1405295624][/DOUBLEPOST]Have they changed how the factorization barrels worked? Last time I play was on 1.4.6 or something like that. Now I can't craft the extra dimensional storage and when I tried to play around with the JABBA's barrels I couldn't find enough space to fit the x243 upgrade.. How come ?

KruSion

Jul 29, 2019
Well i actually tried all your suggestions in a creative world (except the unloaders I just saw that one) and went with a hybrid on my server. Now i have ahu ge stock of wood and it's lovely. The question is though which are faster redstone furnaces or iron furnaces ?

KruSion

Jul 29, 2019
You could use Item Unloaders from Railcraft to do this.
So apparently item unloaders are too much of a hassle to get going and I'm not sure if they're the easiest setup to go with. I think pipes are a lot simpler to be honest. But thank you for the suggestion. You learn something everyday :D

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So apparently item unloaders are too much of a hassle to get going and I'm not sure if they're the easiest setup to go with. I think pipes are a lot simpler to be honest. But thank you for the suggestion. You learn something everyday :D
Once you understand how they work, they aren't complicated at all.

Reactions: Padfoote

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Why not let all the wood go to a storage and then set it up(with AE, LP, Itemducts, whatever your preferred automation) so that the furnaces produce charcoal either on demand of the engines or to keep a constant stock that the engines can draw from? Much simpler and robust than splitting off a certain percentage somewhere.

i kinda don't get it: tree farm is something that in most scenarios runs all the time, thus engines feeding farm and furnaces work constantly, thus they demand charcoal all the time. and what is the point of on demand system if you have to supply charcoal all the time?
the system show above somehow makes more sense to me >_>

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
i kinda don't get it: tree farm is something that in most scenarios runs all the time, thus engines feeding farm and furnaces work constantly, thus they demand charcoal all the time. and what is the point of on demand system if you have to supply charcoal all the time?
the system show above somehow makes more sense to me >_>
Not really sure what your point is. That is is a waste to make a "on demand system" for it? I never said that this system couldn't just be Itemducts pulling wood out of a barrel->furnace->engine. My point was that it would be much easier to just set it up that way than trying to split it off in certain percentages.

Reactions: Padfoote

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Not really sure what your point is. That is is a waste to make a "on demand system" for it? I never said that this system couldn't just be Itemducts pulling wood out of a barrel->furnace->engine. My point was that it would be much easier to just set it up that way than trying to split it off in certain percentages.
looks like i lost it. never mind >_>