How do I automate Coolant cells cooled reactors?? (to pull the cells at or higher of damage)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I have the reactors, vacum freezers, and inputting done. However how on earth do I pull the coolant cells near melting without having to risk with precision buses, Basically I want it to pull at that damage Or higher. That way the coolant cells can reach the freezers for reusing. So how do I do just that? I have these automation mods

Buildcraft
Logistic Pipes
Applied Energetics
and GT.

So basically if I wanted the cells to be pulled out at 350k heat or hotter how do I do that?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
But no matter what you do with the fuzzy they pull when the cells are taking any damage. Precisions are great until you got a crater from not meeting the conditional of "take them out when they reach x damage OR higher" Those are no more reliable than timing systems, since a single TPS error and there goes the entire reactor. So I want something like this "take these out when they reach 350k heat or higher" So if they're 353k heat what's the Precisions would do is ignore them to meltdown, which isn't what I want. Now is there something that'll do that exact conditional I said I want the automation to do?? (if fuzzy buses actually does that please tell me what the settings on them means)

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
But no matter what you do with the fuzzy they pull when the cells are taking any damage. Precisions are great until you got a crater from not meeting the conditional of "take them out when they reach x damage OR higher" Those are no more reliable than timing systems, since a single TPS error and there goes the entire reactor. So I want something like this "take these out when they reach 350k heat or higher" So if they're 353k heat what's the Precisions would do is ignore them to meltdown, which isn't what I want. Now is there something that'll do that exact conditional I said I want the automation to do?? (if fuzzy buses actually does that please tell me what the settings on them means)

At the top left of a fuzzy theres an option called damage comparison.

IIRC it will pull things when their durable is <= that amount.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Alright so a 99% comparison will pull when the cell get 99% damaged if I load a fresh one in the fuzzy import bus? (for a 360k cell that's would be 356,400 heat it's should pull it at or if it's get any hotter)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I had this problem as well; fuzzy buses pull the cooling cells out regardless of their settings and the cell heat. I've had to put my cooling cell cooled reactor design on hold until this is fixed.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
just a small note for you, unless the energy cost of vacuum freezing a coolant cell has reduced by like 80%, the machine is not efficient enough to beeasonably energy positive. You can load the coolant cells into ao-fuel reactor designed specifically for cooling the cell slots at zero power cost. You'll need more coolant cells than if you vacuum freezed them and the initial production cost of a cooling tower is expensive, but it will increase the effective efficiency of your system by like 50%.

I did it with timers and redstone, but its a dangerous game and can go awry if there are some server issues. I'd like to know how to pull stuff out like this as well. For some reason I'm thinking BC gates can do it, but I don't know how they'd precision out the coolant cells only? If it wasn't BC, it was RP2 with the capability. Turtles might be able to do it too.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I had this problem as well; fuzzy buses pull the cooling cells out regardless of their settings and the cell heat. I've had to put my cooling cell cooled reactor design on hold until this is fixed.
I think they're supposed to do that, hence the name "fuzzy"

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I think the concept of fuzzy buses is to ignore the (some acronym) of the item. You would want to use precise buses to identify the "precise" conditions to which you want things imported/exported.

I hear a lot about lag and potential craters. If you are using IC2 nukes you could always use BC gates to supply the RS signal. Simply have it set to "if inventory full -> RS signal". That way when cells are taken out, the reactor is turned off. Even if it's only for a fraction of a second, this might overcome this problem. I am not sure if cells continue to produce heat after the redstone signal is cut off, thus requiring the continuation of the cooling process, but if not, this might be a good safety measure.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I hear a lot about lag and potential craters. If you are using IC2 nukes you could always use BC gates to supply the RS signal. Simply have it set to "if inventory full -> RS signal". That way when cells are taken out, the reactor is turned off. Even if it's only for a fraction of a second, this might overcome this problem. I am not sure if cells continue to produce heat after the redstone signal is cut off, thus requiring the continuation of the cooling process, but if not, this might be a good safety measure.

This is incredibly dangerous since BC gates do have a bit of delay before the signal fires. Coolant cells are best used in compact powerful quad cell reactors where two heat ticks will cause an explosion. The safer way is to have the condition checker emit a redstone signal that shuts off the reactor, then use that state to start the coolant swap. When the swap is complete, then turn the reactor on.

PotatoSamurai

Jul 29, 2019
The safer way is to have the condition checker emit a redstone signal that shuts off the reactor, then use that state to start the coolant swap. When the swap is complete, then turn the reactor on.
This is precisely what I have done. I used a BC pipe with a gate set to send a pipe signal when the reactor is not full; the signal travels to another gate, which sends a redstone signal when receiving that pipe signal. This I in turn connected to an AND Gate (Redstone circuit, not BC) which is also regulated by a manual lever and a Remote Thermal Monitor's input.

unless the energy cost of vacuum freezing a coolant cell has reduced by like 80%, the machine is not efficient enough to be reasonably energy positive. You can load the coolant cells into ao-fuel reactor designed specifically for cooling the cell slots at zero power cost.

Instead of cooling off the cells whatsoever, I went for a lossy method that nonetheless has proved both reliable and profitable. I realized that Liquid Transposers can take bulk Coolant from a tank and place them into single Empty Cells yet produce 60k's. I used a Xycraft multitank with a Xychordium Water block on a valve for water, with an Item IO containing a Bucket adjacent to a Fabricator, which produces the 10k Coolant Cells. By making 10k Coolant Cells, placing them into a Xycraft Multitank via an Item IO, then Liquid Transposer to make 60k's, I had a fully automated Coolant production system. Each 60k costs 12 Tin and no Copper.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
This is precisely what I have done. I used a BC pipe with a gate set to send a pipe signal when the reactor is not full; the signal travels to another gate, which sends a redstone signal when receiving that pipe signal. This I in turn connected to an AND Gate (Redstone circuit, not BC) which is also regulated by a manual lever and a Remote Thermal Monitor's input.

Instead of cooling off the cells whatsoever, I went for a lossy method that nonetheless has proved both reliable and profitable. I realized that Liquid Transposers can take bulk Coolant from a tank and place them into single Empty Cells yet produce 60k's. I used a Xycraft multitank with a Xychordium Water block on a valve for water, with an Item IO containing a Bucket adjacent to a Fabricator, which produces the 10k Coolant Cells. By making 10k Coolant Cells, placing them into a Xycraft Multitank via an Item IO, then Liquid Transposer to make 60k's, I had a fully automated Coolant production system. Each 60k costs 12 Tin and no Copper.

Interesting, I guess its a hell of a lot cheaper than a lossy condensator setup, though the tin count adds up fast. I guess its easier to automate though. What are you using for tin? This gets insanely expensive at higher temps, like 120 tin every 8 minutes in a 2700eu/t reactor