How can I store mana beans in a way that a turtle can get it?

Evilshallwin

Jul 29, 2019
I want to store huge amounts of mana beans in order for me to be able to just leave my farm running almost indefinitely.

However, both of the methods I've tried either don't work well for mana beans or a turtle is unable to access them.

1. Filing Cabinet from ExtraUtils - works okay to a point where it fills up and stops working (only about 8-9 stacks of mana beans fit) - works with a turtle for my purposes, however fails at actually storing the manabeans

2. Applied Energistics - I have heard people suggest this, but... I have no clue how to use it. I can power it and get all the items from the output enderchest with beans into my system, but I can't figure out how to have exactly two stacks of every mana bean be input into a different chest so the turtle can access it. The turtle cannot access them from the AE system directly...

If anyone could offer some suggestions on how I can get mass mana bean storage in a way that a turtle can get to it, it'd be much appreciated.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
There are ways for turtles to retrieve mana beans from AE systems (there might be a direct way, but you can at least do it via logistics pipes). The only problem is is that the turtle will have little ways of making sure it gets a bean of the right aspect. It is probably best to store your mana beans in AE or barrels or whatever and keep a stack of each at a time in a chest that the turtle can use where he has convenient access to an aspectalyser. Extrautils rationing pipes should work to keep only a stack of beans in at a time.

Evilshallwin

Jul 29, 2019
There are ways for turtles to retrieve mana beans from AE systems (there might be a direct way, but you can at least do it via logistics pipes). The only problem is is that the turtle will have little ways of making sure it gets a bean of the right aspect. It is probably best to store your mana beans in AE or barrels or whatever and keep a stack of each at a time in a chest that the turtle can use where he has convenient access to an aspectalyser. Extrautils rationing pipes should work to keep only a stack of beans in at a time.

The issue with rationing pipes is that they only work for one item each, right? Basically meaning that I would need 51 of them to keep a stack of each bean at a time. Is there a way to do this with just normal AE?

EDIT: Ah, I see how they work. I mistook them to act like transfer nodes when really they just sort the items that go through them, but don't extract themselves. That's perfect for what I need. Thank you so much casilleroatr.

Last edited:

Evilshallwin

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently the rationing pipes actually do not work for my needs - I need something that can be toggled on or off with redstone. If there's something like the rationing pipe that can be toggled in such a way, that would be perfect.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Bit of an expensive build, but store the beans in some form of barrel, put translocators on the barrels to maintain a stock level in an ender chest (or two)

Evilshallwin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the transfer nodes can be turned off with a high redstone signal if that helps.

That's somewhat close to what I need, but the issue with the transfer nodes is that I have 51 of them connected to 51 barrels all feeding to a single chest. It would be very difficult to disabled each and every one of the transfer nodes, though if that's the only way I'll be able to manage (will just make it more complicated in the end)[DOUBLEPOST=1395183811][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bit of an expensive build, but store the beans in some form of barrel, put translocators on the barrels to maintain a stock level in an ender chest (or two)

I would need 51 translocators for each of the barrels and then 51 for the receiving ends, and another issue is that I have 51 different aspects of beans and I need all of them to go into a single chest, and translocators can't connect to 51 sides of a chest :p

Evilshallwin

Jul 29, 2019
What do you need to disable the nodes for?

My turtle pulls out one of each of the mana beans to check what aspects it has then puts it in the chest, unfortunately, if there's a transfer node + rationing pipe connected to the chest, it adds an extra one to make it 64 before the turtle puts the one it took out from the chest back. So in the end I have 64 + 1 = 65 mana beans total. It's similar to the problem Direwolf20 had when he made his own program to do something similar (mine is different in a few ways though).

I need to disable the node/rationing pipe so that it doesn't try to round the stack size in the chest to 64 while the turtle is pulling out single beans to check aspects.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I would need 51 translocators for each of the barrels and then 51 for the receiving ends, and another issue is that I have 51 different aspects of beans and I need all of them to go into a single chest, and translocators can't connect to 51 sides of a chest :p
Not with that attitude you can't! All it takes is some clever thinking, a bit of Thaumic Tinkerer(or another mod offering the same effects), and you can easily bypass the "blocks only have 6 sides" lies!

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
My turtle pulls out one of each of the mana beans to check what aspects it has then puts it in the chest, unfortunately, if there's a transfer node + rationing pipe connected to the chest, it adds an extra one to make it 64 before the turtle puts the one it took out from the chest back. So in the end I have 64 + 1 = 65 mana beans total. It's similar to the problem Direwolf20 had when he made his own program to do something similar (mine is different in a few ways though).

I need to disable the node/rationing pipe so that it doesn't try to round the stack size in the chest to 64 while the turtle is pulling out single beans to check aspects.

That makes sense. I watched that video but I forgot about that problem he ran into.

Anyway, you could have a block breaker/deployer combo break the link between the rationing pipe and the nodes.

Evilshallwin

Jul 29, 2019
Not with that attitude you can't! All it takes is some clever thinking, a bit of Thaumic Tinkerer(or another mod offering the same effects), and you can easily bypass the "blocks only have 6 sides" lies!

If you mean the Transvector interface, I didn't think it worked properly with the ironchests mod. If it does I'll make sure to look into that.

That makes sense. I watched that video but I forgot about that problem he ran into.

Anyway, you could have a block breaker/deployer combo break the link between the rationing pipe and the nodes.

The issue is that the transfer nodes begin to connect to the deployer/breaker if I use one to place it down and all the items get dumped into that.

EDIT: Oh man, I got to thinking when you said about deployer/breaker... and I realized I forgot about the perfect thing.

And it's a vanilla item.

A sticky piston does exactly what I need in place of a deployer/breaker. Of all the different things to possibly fix my issue from all the mods, a sticky piston is the perfect solution.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Sticky pistons are definitely a good idea, in fact as you said it is perfect for the job. I was thinking that you can set the node cables to not connect to any inventories but that will be reset once you break and replace.