How can I make the underwater clear (in Tropicraft) ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to make the underwaters of Tropicraft clear. Right now they're not, and it kind of ruins the whole experience. You can clearly see the bottom of the oceans/sees (water) from the land, but while IN the water, it's just like vanilla water, you can't see anything, it's like you're swimming in a swamp. Is there any way that I could make the underwater clear ? I've searched for a very long time for a solution. Only thing I've found is a MC Beta mod that did exactly this (but it's from beta, so...) and a suggestion to use OptiFine (which I can't do on a modpack). Another problem I have with Tropicraft is that it renamed the vanilla water to "Stationary Tropics Water" and the Nether Portal to "Tropics Portal" (I'll post this second issue in another thread, if necessary). Ah, btw, I'm using Resonant Rise 1.6.4 + Tropicraft (and some other mods)

Attachments

• under-the-waters.png
    under-the-waters.png
    697.5 KB · Views: 134
  • tropicised.png
    tropicised.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 89

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that night vision potions (or something else to that effect) may do the trick. It would mean that you'd need to constantly be prepared, but it's not as though you see clearly in water IRL anyway. If immersion is your thing. If not, if you can figure out how to finagle MCPatcher to do what you want, then there might be a solution there.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Enchant your helmet with Aqua Affinity. In addition to making working underwater easier it makes it brighter too.
Or you can use Night vision. Several items/potions gives this. I prefer using the IC2 Quantum helmet as it also gives underwater breathing etc. And can be enchanted with Aqua affinity.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I was actually looking for a mod, if possible
Well does it matter if its a mod or a vanilla solution if it fixes the problem?

Also I don't understand what you mean by not being able to use Optifine on a modpack. I myself is using it on several modpacks. On 1.6 just make sure to use the Standard version.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Well does it matter if its a mod or a vanilla solution if it fixes the problem?

Also I don't understand what you mean by not being able to use Optifine on a modpack. I myself is using it on several modpacks. On 1.6 just make sure to use the Standard version.
I tried OptiFine and it messed up the whole modpack (I might try again, if you say to use the Standard). But I want a mod or a patched file or something that will make the underwater clear FOREVER ! Kind of like this:
. I just don't understand why nobody made such a mod since Crystal Clear Waters !

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Probably there are no mods because clear water is already part of optifine, and a couple of other mods.

Hmm. Actually, you know what you could do, you could use a resource pack without the underwater overlay texture. In fact, you may be able to go in there and delete it yourself, seeing as the texture system has been simplified. I remember seeing several texture packs back in the day that did something similar.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Probably there are no mods because clear water is already part of optifine, and a couple of other mods.

Hmm. Actually, you know what you could do, you could use a resource pack without the underwater overlay texture. In fact, you may be able to go in there and delete it yourself, seeing as the texture system has been simplified. I remember seeing several texture packs back in the day that did something similar.
Deleting or modifying the texture has no effect on the water light levels, I HAVE tried...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I think that one of the buffs from the Aqua version of the new Project Omega armor in Blood Magic does this (makes water easier to see through)... but that stuff's even more annoying to get than night vision potions.

Also, being a Werewolf (from Witchery) gives you permanent night vision when you're in Wolf or Wolfman form. However, the only way to become one without having another Werewolf infect you is essentially Witchery's endgame. It doesn't require you to spend 30k units of Aquasalus and 15 million LPs every fifteen minutes, though.

Is Modular Powersuits still a thing? There's a night vision upgrade for the MPS helmet.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Botania can do night vision potions... which means that you could make a Tainted Blood Pendant that consumes mana from a tablet in your inventory and gives you constant night vision in return.

But, yeah, I don't know of a mod that just makes water clear. Might be something to report to the Tropicraft folks, if they don't already know about it.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
I think that one of the buffs from the Aqua version of the new Project Omega armor in Blood Magic does this (makes water easier to see through)... but that stuff's even more annoying to get than night vision potions.

Also, being a Werewolf (from Witchery) gives you permanent night vision when you're in Wolf or Wolfman form. However, the only way to become one without having another Werewolf infect you is essentially Witchery's endgame. It doesn't require you to spend 30k units of Aquasalus and 15 million LPs every fifteen minutes, though.

Is Modular Powersuits still a thing? There's a night vision upgrade for the MPS helmet.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Botania can do night vision potions... which means that you could make a Tainted Blood Pendant that consumes mana from a tablet in your inventory and gives you constant night vision in return.

But, yeah, I don't know of a mod that just makes water clear. Might be something to report to the Tropicraft folks, if they don't already know about it.
This is how the underwater looks with Night Vision (from Modular Power Suit)

Attachments

• night_vision.png
    night_vision.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 101

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This is what it looks like for me in TPPI with Standard Optifine installed and Clear Water on and the Soartex Fanver texture pack(if that makes a difference):
No Nightvision:
oGe1zOq.png

Nightvision:
qcWRZio.png

This is very deep down(near bedrock). And as you can see sight is clearly a matter of lightlevel.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Deleting or modifying the texture has no effect on the water light levels, I HAVE tried...
If you're looking for light level alteration, you'd need actually need a mod...and it would be kind of pointless IMHO. I don't know, I just like the realism if darkness as you get deeper in water.
That being said, have you tried just maxing out your minecraft brightness when you go under?

Reactions: rhn

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
This is what it looks like for me in TPPI with Standard Optifine installed and Clear Water on and the Soartex Fanver texture pack(if that makes a difference):
No Nightvision:
oGe1zOq.png

Nightvision:
qcWRZio.png

This is very deep down(near bedrock). And as you can see sight is clearly a matter of lightlevel.
It just doesn't work ! Optifine is not compatible with RR 1.6.4. I like Optifine, it's very useful. I'm pretty sure the modders would have added it if it were compatible (because they seem to have tried to add EVERYTHING)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It just doesn't work ! Optifine is not compatible with RR 1.6.4. I like Optifine, it's very useful. I'm pretty sure the modders would have added it if it were compatible (because they seem to have tried to add EVERYTHING)
Optifine is usually never added to packs due to it being fundamentally incompatible with Forge. From what I understand it came about with Forge changed something that was in breach with the MC EULA and Optifine refused to do so since it would mean a complete rewrite.

But the incompatibilities are not always as bad as the benefits. So people still use them together, they are just never packed together as it would lead to a shitstorm of bugs for people for who were not satisfied with the downsides/bugs it causes.

Are you sure you are adding the right version? For 1.6 you need the: OptiFine_1.6.4_HD_D1

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
If you're looking for light level alteration, you'd need actually need a mod...and it would be kind of pointless IMHO. I don't know, I just like the realism if darkness as you get deeper in water.
That being said, have you tried just maxing out your minecraft brightness when you go under?
I have found this http://www.resonant-rise.com/topic/3541-unofficial-optifine-rr-and-you-after-ars-magica/ and it was very useful, why didn't you mention it ? I used OptiFine_1.6.4_HD_D1 with the optifinefml.7z patch and now I have clear water AND my game has never been smoother !

Optifine is usually never added to packs due to it being fundamentally incompatible with Forge. From what I understand it came about with Forge changed something that was in breach with the MC EULA and Optifine refused to do so since it would mean a complete rewrite.

But the incompatibilities are not always as bad as the benefits. So people still use them together, they are just never packed together as it would lead to a shitstorm of bugs for people for who were not satisfied with the downsides/bugs it causes.

Are you sure you are adding the right version? For 1.6 you need the: OptiFine_1.6.4_HD_D1

I have, using Jess887cp's fix, managed to use this version of Optifine (otherwise it wouldn't have worked). I do, however, get some pretty annoying Z-Fighting on some textures, does anyone know how I could fix that ?

Reactions: Jess887cp

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I have found this http://www.resonant-rise.com/topic/3541-unofficial-optifine-rr-and-you-after-ars-magica/ and it was very useful, why didn't you mention it ? I used OptiFine_1.6.4_HD_D1 with the optifinefml.7z patch and now I have clear water AND my game has never been smoother !

I have, using Jess887cp's fix, managed to use this version of Optifine (otherwise it wouldn't have worked). I do, however, get some pretty annoying Z-Fighting on some textures, does anyone know how I could fix that ?
Oh wow, I completely forgot that I wrote that. Huh.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
One of the video settings fixes that. I know KingDaddyDMAC was having the problem on Infinity, and changed one of his settings. I want to say it was Fast/Fancy, but don't quote me.

D

DariusMateHD

If anyone is still looking for an answer.

I suggest the FogNerf mod on curse, along side optifine 'clear water', although FogNerf works well without it