How can I farm flowers automatically ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
I got a little setup but it's incomplete: I have a 3x3 grass patch with an autonomous activator that bone meals it on the side. Two blocks up there's a vacuum hopper with a chest. What's missing is something to break all the grass/flowers. I tried making the flowers/grass pop off by making total darkness. I tried the harvester (MFR) but it doesn't work on modded flowers. I don't want to use 9 block breakers or activators or whatever to get each plant individually [ALSO TRIED WATER, TOO SLOW]. So: is there a way to harvest ALL of the grass/flowers in the 3x3 patch ?

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
An autonomous activator above the centre block with a sickle or scythe in it works in most modpacks.

EDIT - changed 'under' to 'over'. Under is where I usually put my bone meal AA.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Made a little CC turtle script to farm flowers a bit back.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-11#post-688373
It bonemeals the middle of a 5x5 plot and then harvests the entire area. Default it set to wait 1 min between each operation to take advantage of bee pollinations, but that can be changed in the code.

It is not super fast but I generally found that it netted tons of flowers. More than I ever needed.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
The complete darkness will work, but requires a block update in order to pop off the flowers. Pulsing some red alloy wire on the bottom of the grass blocks should do the trick. (it has been a while sine I've done this, so it may no longer be valid.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm could you perhaps bonemeal grass blocks deployed by drawbridges?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
You could also use the Drum of the wild, simply hit it with a mana burst, from a redstone mana spreader, and any nearby plants will uproot. Botania flowers that have a use are immune to this, so don't worry about accidently uprooting thermalillies or other flowers.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
You could also use the Drum of the wild, simply hit it with a mana burst, from a redstone mana spreader, and any nearby plants will uproot. Botania flowers that have a use are immune to this, so don't worry about accidently uprooting thermalillies or other flowers.
Is "Drum of the wild" from Botania ? Because I have none of those...

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Made a little CC turtle script to farm flowers a bit back.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-11#post-688373
It bonemeals the middle of a 5x5 plot and then harvests the entire area. Default it set to wait 1 min between each operation to take advantage of bee pollinations, but that can be changed in the code.

It is not super fast but I generally found that it netted tons of flowers. More than I ever needed.
I saw your thread, but it's too big to get the info I need. If I understand correctly you use bees for flowering ? I tried the Jaded bee with 8 flowering and pollination upgrades (GenDustry) but nothing happened. Anyways, probably because I'm in a desert or something, idk, I just wanted to make sure that that's what you were doing.

Putting a scythe (Tinker's Construct) in an autonomous activator seemed to do the trick, the scythe's durability doesn't go down (which is obviously a bug, but I'm not complaining). The yield is not that good, the bone meal to flowers ratio is terrible and I mostly get seeds

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I saw your thread, but it's too big to get the info I need. If I understand correctly you use bees for flowering ? I tried the Jaded bee with 8 flowering and pollination upgrades (GenDustry) but nothing happened. Anyways, probably because I'm in a desert or something, idk, I just wanted to make sure that that's what you were doing.
In order to get flowers from bees, you of course need grass, but more importantly, the bee "flower" needs to be flowers. None of the other "flowers" will produce flowers. It is slow, but will automatically spawn flowers around the apiary. I'm not sure if the gendustry apiaries work, or if it has to be a forestry apiary. (The "flower" for water bees will create lily pads--it's one of the few ways to farm them.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The link takes you directly to the post about the turtle script. You don't need to read the entire thread.
And the turtle uses bonemeal on the grass to spawn tall grass, flowers etc. before it harvests them all. Adding bees to the setup was just a bonus(bees pollination is slow even with best traits).
And I have no clue what happens if you "cheat" your way to the traits etc. with gendustry. I usually use Rural(I think it is) bees for pollination.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

you don't necessarily need the drum, if you put the horn of the wild in an autonomous activator it'll work aswell, and it wouldn't require any mana to operate

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I have no screenshot here right now, but back in Ultimate 1.4 I did it with a realy simple turtle script that just used bonemeal down every 60s and then send a redstone signal to a dispencer with a water bucket.
Water will "harvest" the flowers wich then go into a hopper in the ground. maybe a lot more difficult than how you do it atm but it felt good :)