How can i convert EU to RF, OR power laser drills, DW20

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
I am on latest dw20 1.7

I currently have a rednet energy cable but it seems these are for low amounts of energy. The conversion rate is bad it seems.
What i want to do is power laser drills with EU (probably solar panels) or something self sustainable.

Basically the drill is not going to find enough yellorium to come close to sustaining it on its own. Or do you guys know of any other RF producing way that is selfsustainable, maybe those solar generators?
Id prefer the drill to be at the max speed (i think its 20k rf, 5k per charger)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
MFR laser drills(and any other MFR stuff) can run just fine on EU. You dont need to convert it to RF.

You could also just apply Lime or Yellow Focus to your drill to make it find more Yellorium.

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
What cable do i connect them with? because the prechargers didn't seem to be connecting to IC2 cables.

This is on 1.7.10 btw, i think they don't accept eu anymore. Maybe im wrong. I will try it again, maybe i just did something dumb.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
What cable do i connect them with? because the prechargers didn't seem to be connecting to IC2 cables.

This is on 1.7.10 btw, i think they don't accept eu anymore. Maybe im wrong
Oh, could have changed for 1.7. Earlier versions you could just connect any EU cable up to them and it would run.

But unless you build a horribly horribly inefficient Big Reactor, any default Laser Drill should net you a profit in Yellorium(specially with the generous configs of the DW20 packs). If you build a turbine you should be getting 2-5 times the yellorium you need.

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
I think in 1.7 big reactors were nerfed by like 75% of the rf per yellorium, I know there were some dw20 changes, but playing on them now, supplying 20k rf to a laser drill is a lot and they rarely find yellorium even with focuses.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I think in 1.7 big reactors were nerfed by like 75% of the rf per yellorium, I know there were some dw20 changes, but playing on them now, supplying 20k rf to a laser drill is a lot and they rarely find yellorium even with focuses.

the direwolf20 pack has nerfed the RF generation of Big Reactors and I'm guessing your first experience with MFR lasers were with Agrarian Skies, which actually lowered the RF usage for MFR drills

Reactions: Padfoote

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
Using the MFR laser you're better off having it find IC2 uranium with a lime focus and process that in a non-IC2 machine to get yellorium, otherwise you're never going to have enough to keep the reactor fed. Its a shame the pack tries to nerf big reactors into the ground by increasing yellorium burn rate by 10x AND decreasing yellorium ore gen.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Its a shame the pack tries to nerf big reactors into the ground by increasing yellorium burn rate by 10x AND decreasing yellorium ore gen.
Even if that is true, I still have a hard time seeing how it would be hard to break even with Cyanite reprocessors, Turbines, TE über efficiency materials, Laser Drill Focus etc.

Well maybe if you ran your reactors at 2000C+ or something stupid hot :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My preference is to run the reactor enough to get Cyanite to construct a BR turbine and then power it with Railcraft Steam Boilers. Charcoal and water are infinite, so I can run those forever. My Monster base is running entirely off of one providing just over 1k RF from a not even max size boiler. Not sure how that compares to the numbers in Dire 1.7.

Can Extra Utilities transform EU into RF?

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, Applied energistics P2P tunnel should be able to import EU. And if it can not convert it directly to RF, it should be able to change it to MJ, which an Extra Utilities energy node should be able to convert to RF. Not the most efficient setup, but should be a better net conversion then using the rednet cables. would just need 2 P2P tunnels and an ME power port?(the power import block) for the ME portion of the conversion. So it is IC2 cable ---> P2P tunnel ---> ME power block ---> P2P tunnel ---> extra utilities energy node ---> RF output. Not sure if the power block will get powered via the P2P tunnel or not...

Might be able to skip the ME portion if the energy node can convert direct as KingTriaxx suggested. If this works, it will be a lot more efficient.

otherwise, Tree powered boiler feeding a BR turbine to run your laser drill. Laser drill focused on lime, for uranium. uranium processed in TE pulverizer before being smelted into yellorium ingots. Higher output then the extremely LOW chance of getting yellorium via laser drill.(something like 1% yellorium chance vs about 5% uranium)

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
the direwolf20 pack has nerfed the RF generation of Big Reactors and I'm guessing your first experience with MFR lasers were with Agrarian Skies, which actually lowered the RF usage for MFR drills
No, ive never played Agrarian Skies. On other modpacks, especially in 1.6 big reactors were OP and would make more RF and yellorium lasted forever, so powering lasers was very easy with the most basic reactors.

I will try the focus for uranium to see if it finds more of it than yellorium.

I have enough rf coming in with my reactors to power them easily, but i think if left running too long it will just drain all of my power since there is that bug or something where it keeps using power even when full.
That's really the only reason i wanted to put them on their own power system that wouldn't drain my bases power.

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
I think maybe a good option would be for me to use Extra utilities solar generators. I will just have to figure out a system to alternate dumping their energy automatically.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I think maybe a good option would be for me to use Extra utilities solar generators. I will just have to figure out a system to alternate dumping their energy automatically.
DW20 1.7 have EnderIO doesn't it? Its solar panels are far superior in terms of material cost and doesn't have that stupid discharge downtime.
But you will need a lot more of them/cover a larger area(which is also more realistic).

Reactions: Padfoote

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you've got BC/RC/Forestry machines plugged in, it's no bug.

What I did, for running my quarry before putting up my turbine, was to place down an EU Solar generator, then a not gate, and a basic daylight sensor.

The advanced version, requires three BC Gold Gates, some fluid pipe, fluid void pipe, a Forestry Raintank and the daylight sensor. Connect the gates with wire, one red, and one blue. One gate is placed beside the Daylight Sensor and set to emit a pipe wire signal when it's not getting a redstone signal. Thus being a not-gate. The other gate is placed on the fluid pipe and needs to be autarchic. Place the Raintank on one side and the void pipe on the other. When it detects fluid in the tank, it pumps, and when it finds fluid running through the pipe, it emits a pipe wire signal. The third gate sits in the middle and when it gets red or blue signals, it emits a signal.

This ensures it runs anytime it's not generating, either in the rain or at night.

I also used Engineer's Toolbox solar power to run during the day, but EIO's solar panels are better.

lpqrimetime

Jul 29, 2019
I just made Extra utilities Energy transfer nodes, and they seem to be transfering. At what rate i dont know but i guess i could upgrade them.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
The ender io dimsional transceiver right on top of the drill focus works realy good