Hosting with more ram = people can't join

h3llmafia

Jul 29, 2019
When I use ftbserver.jar to start up the server it works fine and people can join, but I would like to allocate more memory so it's not laggy. The problem is when I start up the server by using startserver.bat, other people cant join, but I still can (I'm hosting and playing on the same computer). Any assistance would be much appreciated thanks!

Asnareth

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings

I am using in my Serverstart.bat

java -Xms512M -Xmx6G -jar ftbserver.jar

Is yours more or less the same or can you post up what the contents of your Serverstart.bat is ?

h3llmafia

Jul 29, 2019
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar ftbserver.jar

That is what is inside the Serverstart.bat.

@glasspelican, if you could tell me where to get those I will happily provide it. Sorry

Asnareth

Jul 29, 2019
I not an expert in beast department by any means but i see your bat file differs from the ones i have seen though only by the layout.

When i download the server file from FTB main site and run it my server start comes out as:

java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar ftbserver.jar

and yours:

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar ftbserver.jar

not saying this is the problem (probably not) but no harm in editing the serverstart.bat and using

java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar ftbserver.jar

If this is the only thing that has changed in your setup I'd give it a try and see.

There is a file in your root server folder called "server.log" , attach that file here or paste in the contents in the hope that others may see the problem you are having.

Tarbis

Jul 29, 2019
i got a similar Problem.

in my ServerStart.bat is in general
ava -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar ftbserver.jar

i wanted to increase the RAM up to 2GB,
so i wrote
java -Xms512M -Xmx2G -jar ftbserver.jar
this leads now to crush the program everytime i start it. (smal black window apear an get closed again)
Can someone help me to increase he RAM?

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
At a guess it probably to do with the fact your mixing mb and Gb references.

try

java -Xms1G -Xmx2G -jar ftbserver.jar

-Xms =This the minimum memory that will be used.
-Xmx = This is the maximum memory that can be used.

Tarbis

Jul 29, 2019
The reference is alredy mixed from the beginning,
that's what i mean with
is in general
Java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar ftbserver.jar
And this conficuration work without problems.

I allredy tried 1G-2G and it caused the Problem with the crash.

EDIT: Ok, this is strange: I just tried 1G-2G with another computer and on this it worked.
Does it make a difference, if i use Windows 7 64Bit or WindowsXP 32Bit?

Paladin

Jul 29, 2019
When running Java on a 32bit OS there is a limit on the max memory. It has to do with the way memory is addressed by the Operating System. The highest that you can set the Xmx is generally around 1.5G. You can run a test to find the max amount by running the following from a command prompt "java -Xms1250m -Xmx1250m -version". If it runs successfully you will see the version number, you can then increase both the Xms and Xmx and repeat until the command fails.

A 64bit OS will not have this memory limitation.