Hosting private server

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
I run my own server localy for myself and a few friends, some over lan and some over internett. I have issues with lagspikes, basicaly unplayable delays and server wide laggspikes.
This mostly happens when players mowe inbethween dimensions or Exploring new terrain / generating more world.

Current hardware is a AMD A10 5800k @4ghz 4mb cache
1866 mhz 8gb memory.
and some standard 2,5" hdd
This is all running on Win7 ultimate.

The issue I got here is that the machine got lots of ressurces left even at the worst times, but the minecraft graph shows it maxed out in red when it lagg spikes.

I cant figure out the bottleneck or problem myself and hoping someone else got any good tips for me.
Also worth mentioning this is the newest FTB Ultimate pack and users are 3-10 usualy.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
what type of internet connection is it running on? A lot of times with home hosted servers, the connection is a very large factor in lag since most standard home connections are not designed to support the amount of information exchange required of a minecraft server. (specially if any part of said connection is wireless...).

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
what type of internet connection is it running on? A lot of times with home hosted servers, the connection is a very large factor in lag since most standard home connections are not designed to support the amount of information exchange required of a minecraft server. (specially if any part of said connection is wireless...).

Oh I forgot too mention that sry :p
it's all wired 1gb lan localy and 50/50 mbit fiber connection for internett. Thos these problems still occur if only Lan players are connected so I dont think internett speed is a issue.

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
I bet your biggest bottleneck is that 2.5" drive, most of them are slow 5400rpm too.
And the server GUI is heavy to run, add "noGui" at the end of the server start command to disable it.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
Moving across dimension has always been laggy in minecraft, i remember playing vanilla in the early day a noticing the lag when people crossed to the nether.

Worth bearing in mind that minecraft servers are single thread only. So one will be maxed out while rest will be relatively ideal.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I can't find anything that says MCPC+ adds multi thread support to minecraft. Can you link something more directed to show this.

Edit: As far as I understand it MCPC allows use of plugins. I looked at the MCPC wiki and just done a google search for multicore minecraft. Nothing.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I can't find anything that says MCPC+ adds multi thread support to minecraft. Can you link something more directed to show this.

Edit: As far as I understand it MCPC allows use of plugins. I looked at the MCPC wiki and just done a google search for multicore minecraft. Nothing.

Interestingly enough I am having the same issue...trying to find where I found it the first time...starting to think I'm wrong or was possibly thinking about something else.

I'll get back soon! :D

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to sort of throw this thread off-track, but about MCPC+. I got the information from my current server host, who got it directly from the developer of MCPC+ (bloodshot). I'll see if I can send him a message and get a confirmation posted publically somewhere...as I don't even see it listed in the update notes for MCPC+.

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
I bet your biggest bottleneck is that 2.5" drive, most of them are slow 5400rpm too.
And the server GUI is heavy to run, add "noGui" at the end of the server start command to disable it.

I been wondering about the drive myself, but I didnt manage too find any credible info about what kinda disk performance is required or how it affects the performance of minecraft server.
The drive tho is a old one I pulled outa an old laptop, I will try switch it with a 10k rpm raptor drive I got somewhere, or just add it as a secound and put the server files on it. thx

is there anymore too the nogui command? couse it already has it in the launch bat file, but the gui shows anyways, I assumed it was a sideffect of the ftb server.

Also I gues I'l take a look at the induvidual core performance aswell when it laggs, tho I'm not sure about the architecture of the cpu, tho 4ghz should do even if just using one core it's the newest in the series tho not the most powerfull series.
machine was originaly meant as a HTPC... it just adopted more work when my old Core 2 Duo 3ghz 8gb ddr3 machine I used for server died on me ^^
Gonna have too google that multicore stuff some more tho sounds great if possible

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
minecraft servers only use one core for the main tick of the world, its this that can't be split over more than one core, however having additional core help with other process and frees up the main core to just focus on what it does. You do have a very good CPU, but your over taxing it with only having the one core

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
I'm watching the TickThread Mod closing. Looks great, personally I'm waiting till its stable. Looks like great work.

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
got the Nogui working, and it actualy helps alot more than expected, the machine hardly works at all now, soundless now, workload ligthned so much that fan barely run now :p

still some lagg when 3 ppl fly with boosters in eatch direction generating new world and on Dimension changing, but as I understand thats the HDD's limitations.