Holy Mother Of All Oil Fields

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Ocean Oil Fields biome... its what I always lived for when playing FTB, the dream of finding one. I've always used oil-to-fuel for my main energy source in every modpack I've ever played.

Except now I'm playing some GregTech packs and Thermal Expansion isn't included... without the TE tesseract (perhaps the greatest block ever invented), I feel helpless to harvest that oil. I feel lost. LOL

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Ocean Oil Fields biome... its what I always lived for when playing FTB, the dream of finding one. I've always used oil-to-fuel for my main energy source in every modpack I've ever played.

Except now I'm playing some GregTech packs and Thermal Expansion isn't included... without the TE tesseract (perhaps the greatest block ever invented), I feel helpless to harvest that oil. I feel lost. LOL
No ender tanks either?
260px-Sad-i-know-that-feel-clean-l.png

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
No ender tanks either?

Nope. When you play a GregTech pack, there are NO shortcuts (by design of course) allowed. I must be a masochist or something, to do it to myself willingly. LOL

Thanks for the hugz too. :)

Snaef98

Jul 29, 2019
Well my new refinery setup (fuel powered) is up and running. 196 refinerys (+32 legacy running on lava might be converted later) Powered by 120 Semi-Fluid Generators 32EU/t per generator off fuel. This new setup also lets me power the entire system off with a flick of a lever per 2x rows (6 2x rows of 16) unlike the lava generator setup.

Also got my new ME Fuel Depo finished. Also moved ME power to generators that are fueled directly rather then by drums of fuel. It takes 18 Generators to fuel my ME system.

Here is the facts and figures atm.

Oil Harvesting > 3,542,400 Buckets Per 24 IRL Hours (147,600/hour) (Fully Automatic Except Refreshing Pump Location As Needed even oceans deplete the pumps range eventually)
Oil Refining > 236,399 Buckets Per 24 IRL Hours (Fully Automatic 24/7)
Oil ME Storage Capacity > 15,892,480 Buckets (Plug In Card Drives) this doesn't included stored drives in DSU's. They stack if full and only 1 type of liquid.
Fuel Storage Capacity> 5,242,880 Buckets (Plug In Card Drives) this doesn't included stored drives in DSU's. They stack if full and only 1 type of liquid.

I will take some screen shots of the Refinery, Refinery Power Generation Area, ME Fuel/Oil Area's when I get a chance.

Upcoming plans:

Universal Power System (Tesseract For Quarrys etc)
ME Item Storage /w Auto Maceration & Smelting.

Currently using a DSU node setup the ME won't be able to hold as much stuff but I could Import high volume items from the ME system to DSU's for say netherrack, cobblestone, sand etc.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Wow
you can power a whole server with that much fuel

My tank with 2 million millibuckets of oil seems very small now :D

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I was never very good at power generation. Mine always ended up as some clunky, obfuscated mess that barely lowered my systems. I would start with fuel power, then finally cave into solar power since it seemed like a place and forget kind of thing. Hell. My power networks never even included all machines. I usually had two or three incompatible power networks that only operated a small group of machines. That being said, I found a oil desert in my most recent world. I don't remember where it is, but is is 90% oil. One giant oil lake. I don't even know if there's sand in it.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I was never very good at power generation. Mine always ended up as some clunky, obfuscated mess that barely lowered my systems. I would start with fuel power, then finally cave into solar power since it seemed like a place and forget kind of thing. Hell. My power networks never even included all machines. I usually had two or three incompatible power networks that only operated a small group of machines. That being said, I found a oil desert in my most recent world. I don't remember where it is, but is is 90% oil. One giant oil lake. I don't even know if there's sand in it.
Plot twist: You jump into it to see how deep it is and you get wither and nausea... that would be too bad :D

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Plot twist: You jump into it to see how deep it is and you get wither and nausea... that would be too bad :D
Since when did oil give status effects? I know there's waste and something else that gives you those effect, the waste being poison instead of wither. I don't recall receiving that from oil... Though I did come upon a plain that had pockets of black fluid all over the place. Pretty deadly as well.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Since when did oil give status effects? I know there's waste and something else that gives you those effect, the waste being poison instead of wither. I don't recall receiving that from oil... Though I did come upon a plain that had pockets of black fluid all over the place. Pretty deadly as well.
Oil doesn't give status effects, but it looks similar to sludge, and I often mistake it for oil especially deserts.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Oil doesn't give status effects, but it looks similar to sludge, and I often mistake it for oil especially deserts.
Eww... I certainly hope I didn't find a sludge field as opposed to an oil field. Then again, I'm trying to branch from standard power generation methods to explore alternatives... And I still ended up using me coal generator for power.

Snaef98

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into a lot of sludge pits while traveling the regular ocean looking for spouts. Even in myst craft ages really annoying. I just installed a power core last night before bed but seem to be getting some instant end of streams when I started messing with the tesseract so I need to debug what changes I did caused the issues.

BTW the core is 78 Semi-Fluid gens in a ring 3 high + wire spacings with transfer pipes in the inside area fueled by 4 enter tanks pumping in fuel. Hooked up to 2 Resonating Energy Cells for 100,000,000 rf capacity. 2,496EU/t

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
That is some sort of unholy. What do you even need that much power for?! The most I've ever had was either a) a 15x15 array of geothermal generators or b) 20 x MV panels + 3 HV panels. The only time that wasn't sufficient was when my mass fab sucked then dry!

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. When you play a GregTech pack, there are NO shortcuts (by design of course) allowed. I must be a masochist or something, to do it to myself willingly. LOL

Do you have railcraft? You could just haul it by train.

Snaef98

Jul 29, 2019
Well after some troubleshooting I could not figure out what was causing the constant disconnects so I put that world on hold and started a new one. And guess what I found something even better then oil oceans. Ender Oceans! With this new system I have in place I will be able to produce many times the energy density of fuel. And I have already run a proof of concept.

EnderOps.jpg

Liquid ender goes in the Fluid Crystallizer and out pops ender pearls via the item node to my chest "soon to be DSU". This world was started from scratch but making a DSU will be easy now with lots of ender lol.

1 Pearl = 2,000,000 RF over 20 Min 50 Seconds

1 Bucket = 4 Pearls = 8,000,000 RF vs 600,000 of fuel.

Also I did find a biome with plenty of large/small oil wells basically everywhere so I got plenty of fuel too. I can produce about 180 pearls per hour with 1 single crystallizer unit.

69.12 pearls = 24 hour operation of 1 Ender Generator.

That's enough to power 62.5 Ender Generators for 24 hours straight with just 1 crystalizer.

8,640,000,000 RF over 24 hours with 62.5 generators :p that's 864,000,000 MJ

Last edited:
Reactions: ljfa

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Well after some troubleshooting I could not figure out what was causing the constant disconnects so I put that world on hold and started a new one. And guess what I found something even better then oil oceans. Ender Oceans! With this new system I have in place I will be able to produce many times the energy density of fuel. And I have already run a proof of concept.

View attachment 13195

Liquid ender goes in the Fluid Crystallizer and out pops ender pearls via the item node to my chest "soon to be DSU". This world was started from scratch but making a DSU will be easy now with lots of ender lol.

1 Pearl = 2,000,000 RF over 20 Min 50 Seconds

1 Bucket = 4 Pearls = 8,000,000 RF vs 600,000 of fuel.

Also I did find a biome with plenty of large/small oil wells basically everywhere so I got plenty of fuel too. I can produce about 180 pearls per hour with 1 single crystallizer unit.

69.12 pearls = 24 hour operation of 1 Ender Generator.

That's enough to power 62.5 Ender Generators for 24 hours straight with just 1 crystalizer.

8,640,000,000 RF over 24 hours with 62.5 generators :p that's 864,000,000 MJ
Wait a second... is this Resonant Ender from Thermal Expansion, or the liquid ender stuff from Reika's Ender Forest/Chromaticraft? If the former, don't try to swim in it without a jetpack. You'll get teleported around every time you touch it, and since it's an ocean, you'll most likely land right back in it.

If it's Reika's liquid ender stuff, you're more likely to be OK. I haven't tested it, though, so I can't say for sure.

Snaef98

Jul 29, 2019
Its normal liquid ender. It becomes resonant once you pipe it into a liquid node or tank etc. Its working out really well the energy density is so crazy ill have to upgrade from my current leadstone cell to a redstone one. working on ingredients now to build crucible to make liquid redstone for the power conduits etc.

Scratch that, working on a resonant one. Might as well get the 50m outa the way. got all the ingredients for it.

Attachments

• PearlOutput.jpg
    PearlOutput.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 61
Last edited: