Windows .exe High-res texture pack lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
I've recently switched from playing Tekkit to FTB, and I'm loving almost everything! The only thing I'm not appreciating is how my computer is handling high-res texture packs (128x and higher). Whenever I play Vanilla Minecraft or Tekkit/Technic, I can run high-res texture packs with no issues.

My FPS stays above 100 while playing both modpacks and vanilla Minecraft. The only issue is that I notice "microstutter" when using a high-res texture pack. My FPS stays at 100+ and everything is great, except that the mouse movements and animations feel choppy even though the FPS suggests that it shouldn't. As soon as I switch to a 64x texture pack, everything is fine and the microstutter is gone.

I have a GTX 690 graphics card and an Intel 2500k CPU. I've tried disabling SLI, installing (and uninstalling) Optifine, updating Java, updating graphics drivers, allocating more (and less) RAM to FTB (and Java) and just about everything else you could think of to get this stuttering to stop. This only occurs in Feed The Beast and not in any other modpacks or games. This occurs in SSP and SMP. I find this issue very odd considering that it only occurs when using a high-res texture pack and vanishes when I'm using 64x resolution packs or below. Again, my FPS stays a constant 100+ and nothing would suggest that stuttering should be occurring.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried Optifine? I know that Technic and Tekkit (Classic) have (or used to have, IDK if they ever updated Tekkit Classic past Optifine) Optifine, which might fix this issue. Try installing Optifine onto FTB, or try running a high-res texture pack in Tekkit Lite to see if you have the problem there too.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
Using the same version of Optifine and same texture pack on the latest DW20 pack and latest Tekkit Lite yields highly different results. I get an average of 30 FPS on the DW20 pack on far view distance in a plains biome. In a plains biome on far render distance on the Tekkit Lite pack however, I get upwards of 100+ FPS. If I use fast video settings and "tiny" render distance on DW20, I get about 80 FPS and the input is still very stuttery. I'm thinking that something about the FTB packs are cutting my FPS quite a bit. Either that, or FTB is just poorly optimized compared to Tekkit Lite.

Nicksterr

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB launcher has no influence on your fps in-game, try comparing the mods between the two mod packs to single out a specific mod that could be causing this lag. Vyron has provided a sound link to a possible solution for High-res texture pack users, so make sure to give that a try to.

Status
Not open for further replies.