Hi im new

M

mercstu

Hi im new to these forums and im actually here for my son.
I have bought him Minecraft which he is happily playing, he also watches unspeakable gaming on YouTube where he discovered mods I have been trying to get him some mods I have downloaded various things and cant seem to get anything to work I understand some use different instructions to install but I cant work it out.
if someone could kindly help us out or point me in the right direction I would gratefully appreciate it
we have version 1.7.0 I think
I also have zip cruncher
and technic launcher
some good first time user mods and easy installs would be great
thanks in advance
mercstu

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Welcome to the forums! If you want to make a modpack of your own, I would highly recommend the Twitch launcher. It may not be the fastest or most stable launcher, but it is the easiest to use. To make a modpack with it, you can just select "Create custom profile", where you can select a minecraft and forge version. You can leave the forge version alone for now, and put the minecraft version to the one you want to play. The best choices for modded are probably 1.7.10 or 1.12.2. Once you've done this, you can add mods by going to the profile you created, and clicking the "Get more content" button. This will allow you to look for mods you are interested in, and install them with one click. You have not said what kind of mods your son is interested in, but you should at the very least probably install NEI/JEI (the first is for 1.7, the second 1.12) and maybe WAILA/WAWLA (again, first is 1.7, second is 1.12). If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask!

M

mercstu

thanks for your response
Ill try the twitch launcher then, we are not sure what mods are out there so not to sure what he is interested in.
no doubt ill be back for some more noobie questions

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Just for reference, there are four general categories to keep in mind. Magic mods, tech mods, exploration mods, and utility mods. If any of those interest you or your son, feel free to ask about them. I can give you some good hints on mods that are good for beginners in each category, probably.

M

mercstu

TBH im failing at the first hurdle, I bought a code, redeemed and downloaded it from Microsoft and Mojang wants me to buy the game while creating a account. associated email with Minecraft game don't work, as that's the same one I was trying to create a new acc with.
head officially mashed. tomorrows another day

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Have you perhaps accidentally bought the windows 10 edition of the game instead of the java edition? Because only the latter is moddable currently, and there are quite a few other changes between the two.