HELP Wither on the loose

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on Monster and I spawned my first wither..... I had nanosuit chest, pants, and helmet and long fall boots. My nano armor was at max energy and I has regen + strength potions on and I thought I could take the whither easily.... That was most definitely not the case and it killed me before I got it to half health and now I just got some scrap diamond armor to take it on when it's flying in the open. Any ideas how I can kill it? I got my nano stuff back but it's still on the loose. PS I was using a power 5 bow and sharp 3 diamond sword

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
Stock up on potions; speed, strength, regen and healing. Milk buckets/ curing stuff might be useful.
Tank up your armour; protection enchants.
Smite would be the best enchant for the sword. (wither is undead)
Splash healing/regen potions would also be effective.

Flight might be a good option.
Not sure that would be the wisest decision because I spawned it within 250 blocks of my base and getting all set up might bring it closer and I had 3 instant health potions the first time I fought it and I wasn't even close to killing it. Do you know if i can catch it in a safari net and kill it in a cave or some other wise way to keep it from flying off?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Safari net wont work. -A portal gun might be able to carry it off, or you could trap it in a myst age/forcefield
Build a second base.
Drop your gear off, and lure it away from your main base. (speed potions might be useful)

Generally you got creamed because you were woefully underprepared for the fight, if you get your gear in check you'll breeze it.

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I'll try my best and hope I don't lose my nano armor that I spent so long getting... I might try killing it in the ocean where it will attack the squid or lure it down to bedrock

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Nano armor isn't actually great protection. It only protects like iron armor honestly. Prot enchant armor is what you need. I'd have speed2, strength2, regeneration pots on the ready. If it's on the lose but you aren't the closest thing to it it will go after something else.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on Monster and I spawned my first wither..... I had nanosuit chest, pants, and helmet and long fall boots. My nano armor was at max energy and I has regen + strength potions on and I thought I could take the whither easily.... That was most definitely not the case and it killed me before I got it to half health and now I just got some scrap diamond armor to take it on when it's flying in the open. Any ideas how I can kill it? I got my nano stuff back but it's still on the loose. PS I was using a power 5 bow and sharp 3 diamond sword

The super enchanted apples usually help with withers so they don't kill you instantly.
My tactic of fighting withers is to construct a 3x3x3 obsidian wither-killing room underground so that the wither is contained well within melee range.
That way you can just slice it up with a Smite sword and it's a piece of cake, and at that range it's harder for the wither to hit you.
Some people think that it's a cheaty way of doing it, but at the end of the day you don't die in the process.

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
The super enchanted apples usually help with withers so they don't kill you instantly.
My tactic of fighting withers is to construct a 3x3x3 obsidian wither-killing room underground so that the wither is contained well within melee range.
That way you can just slice it up with a Smite sword and it's a piece of cake, and at that range it's harder for the wither to hit you.
Some people think that it's a cheaty way of doing it, but at the end of the day you don't die in the process.
I didn't even think of using God apples but I definitely will because my ender quarry gets tons of gold. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: TheMechEngineer

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Withers melt obby like it's butter.

I never knew they could, but I've been doing the obsidian room technique multiple times in my single player maps (and even some server maps) without any problems.
Even if they can, you're still underground and the wither is still relatively contained.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Hmmm. Could be something with a particular mod. ..but withers naturally laugh at obby encasing.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm. Could be something with a particular mod. ..but withers naturally laugh at obby encasing.

I had a look at the wiki and it said "when there are no targets, the Wither will sometimes shoot blue Wither Skulls, which move slower and can destroy any block besides bedrock".
Apparently the regular black skulls it shoots don't destroy obsidian, so I'm guessing that the Wither won't destroy obsidian as long as there's a target in view.
When fighting the Wither in the obsidian room I lock myself in with it, so I'm thinking that might be an explanation.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
1. The Wither cannot destroy blocks warded with Thaumcrafts wand focus: warding.
2. The wither effect inflicted by being close to a detonation of one of its ranged attacks is much stronger than the wither effect from wither skeletons, so the mitigation that Protection IV grants is useless. As such, the one potion you absolutely must have to kill the wither is regeneration. Everything else is optional.
3. Fighting the wither in the open is suicide. In the second half of the fight it rushes right up to you putting you at zero range to try and dodge its attacks. As its attacks blow up the terrain you are going to quickly end up in a deep hole.
4. There are two halves to the fight. In the first half its easy to stay at ranged, and incidently the wither can be damaged by ranged weapons. Once it drops to 50% health you are in phase 2, where it is immune to ranged damage, and it additionally tries to get into your face.
5. The most effective way to fight the wither therefore is to prebuild a 1wide, two high tunnel. At bedrock, or in the side of a mountain. Start the fight by quaffing the potion of regeneration by shooting at the wither to draw it over. As it blasts the terrain back up into the tunnel to keep shielded from its attacks while shooting with a ranged weapon until phase 2. When it switches to phase 2 it will start to destroy terrain even more aggressively each time you hit it. Switch to a melee weapon and keep on attacking it while backing up into your stone tunnel. With thaumcrafts gear (sword of the zepher, enchanted thaumium armor) this fight has never lasted longer than a regeneration potion.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
1. The Wither cannot destroy blocks warded with Thaumcrafts wand focus: warding.
You need a nether star for this in the first place, but yeah, I suggest spending your first nether star on this.

Iron golems are a good help, especially for the second half where the Wither stays on the ground. Don't spawn the golem too early or it will get hit by the explosion at the beginning.

Reactions: null123

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry guys, I had to use god apple to kill it and for some reason i thought with another god apple, I could fight another one. I made another god apple and still died with good gear so i ended up making ANOTHER god apple and finally got it under control. Definitely not fighting the wither in the open until I get that Witherless Rose from Xeno's Reliquary. Thanks for all the help