Help with reactor/turbine setup

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

bestesebbe

Okay, so I'm relatively tired of trying to google, does anyone here know what I need to do differently?
My turbine doesn't stop increasing RPM :(

Reactor interface:
wsrvc1Q.png

Reactor doesn't seem stable either (it keeps changing between 0,011mB/t and 0,1 mB/t??)

Sending steam to turbine through tesseract

Turbine interface:
DzpJxzU.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is your turbine designed to run with 2000mB/t steam?

Also is your reactor designed to supply 2000mB/t steam, and is it throttled down with the fuel rods to do that? It is running a little bit hot.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
the nice thing about this problem is there's a lot of ways to fix it.

The short answer is your reactor is probably producing way too much steam. You can "throttle" it with that "Max Flow" setting but that's not ideal either. You want to just reduce the amount of steam you're generating, or create another turbine to consume some of it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The short answer is your reactor is probably producing way too much steam. You can "throttle" it with that "Max Flow" setting but that's not ideal either.
Well actually he needs to know what steam consumption the turbines are designed to run at the 1800 mark with, and then set them to that. Preferable the reactor should then have been designed to produce that amount of steam(times the amount of turbines you have, plus a little bit extra) at its optimum efficiency sweet-spot.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Either angle works; that was the "short" answer for someone learning about big reactors. You can adjust the turbines to handle the steam, or adjust the steam to handle the turbines.

The longer answer involves going to the reactor designer to create a reactor that generates a perfect amount of steam for X turbines with the best fuel efficiency, given whichever number of whichever coils he's using in those turbines.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
just ignore it, last time i checked big reactors had no exploding machines
Ignore the reactor and it will run at awful fuel efficiencies. Sure if you play a crappy balanced modpack and don't care, you can just gather more fuel.

Ignore the turbine and run it at RPMs outside the 900 or 1800 marks by just a couple of hundred RPM, and they produce 1/3-1/2 of the power.... I think everyone cares about that.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
just ignore it, last time i checked big reactors had no exploding machines
Even though fuel efficiency is pointless in BigReactors, going over the rpm gimps the output. If you adjust the reactors control rods down sometimes you can net an extra 200ish rf/t.
Essentially 1800 rpm lets you get 100% from the turbine. Over or under that rate and you aren't getting your max potential out of the turbine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Question, what is your turbine coil? a 36 block coil of ludicrite will easily stabilize an 80 blade turbine in the butter zone but other materials will need more blocks to get the same result.
As for the reactor, unless you want to completely redesign it then you want to adjust your control rods to get just above the 2k/t level. As it is you're generating far too much steam.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'm guessing he has 32 blocks of enderium. I think 36 enderium would cap the speed at 1800 rpm while using all 2000 mb steam and producing 25K RF. Upgrading to 32 ludicrite would do the same while producing around 28K RF. The arrows in the turbine control GUI let you set the max steam level. Dialing in the number right is a fiddley, time consuming process if you don't know the math for the material in your coil.

B

bestesebbe

I have 80 blades and 36 Enderium coil :) I set up a second turbine and it seems to run better now! Still at little hot tho:

neO7n61.png

That doesn't really matter too much because i'm very happy with the fuel rate!

Thanks for all the replies by the way!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have 80 blades and 36 Enderium coil
Those will run faster than 1800RPM if you give it all 2000mb/t. Enderiums stats means that it is not divisible with 2000mb/t, so it will always go a bit over or under in RPM. You can go with 37 Enderium which should end up something like 1797RPM.

If you draw out your reactor, we could supply you with a fuel rod setting (or a better reactor design perhaps if you supply the number of turbines at which mB/t you want it to run). http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-prompt

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Your temp actually isn't too bad. Fine tuning the temp is what the control rods on top of the reactor are for, but again, it is another fiddley, time consuming process. I think you need it above 350 to keep from losing steam, but I'm usually happy if I can hit a stable temp between 500 and 800.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Either add more enderium blocks, or reduce the steam at the turbine. Either one will solve your problem nicely. As noted earlier, an enderium turbine will self regulate with 37 blocks, and will make a bit over 24K rf/t.

Also, since the max steam flow in a turbine is 2000 mb/t, you can insert the fuel rods till it is only producing the steam required and save fuel, as noted earlier. Otherwise I agree your fuel usage is pretty good.