Help with PC build

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Also this is something to consider when building a new system today. Xeons, bruh... Xeons. They're performing as well as desktop processors that cost a similar amount in single threaded applications, and still retaining the benefits of being a server processor.

Throw an AMD into the mix, and, well...

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't trust older xeons so much in new pc builds, if i remember correctly intel sockets tend to vary a lot between generations and models

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't trust older xeons so much in new pc builds, if i remember correctly intel sockets tend to vary a lot between generations and models
My friend, that is a haswell-EP, and the benchmarks say it all.

That's why i linked to a partcular generation of xeon and specifically said "when building a system today."

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I just looked at the prices of the new xeons. Just one costs more than the intel gaming build I have planned. ._.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I hope you were looking at the socket 1150 V3 Haswell core xeons, and not the other ones.

The higher priced ones are 6-14 core beasts running on a different socket. :p

edit: this memory is hot btw. 19ns latency, compared to 23ns with the memory you have chosen @Wagon153

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I hope you were looking at the socket 1150 V3 Haswell core xeons, and not the other ones.

The higher priced ones are 6-14 core beasts running on a different socket. :p

edit: this memory is hot btw. 19ns latency, compared to 23ns with the memory you have chosen @Wagon153
I'll wait on the Xeons until there is one I can overclock to 3-4 gigahertz. And I'll switch to that RAM ASAP. :p

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I'll wait on the Xeons until there is one I can overclock to 3-4 gigahertz. And I'll switch to that RAM ASAP. :p
If you can't overclock the xeon I linked with the ram i linked to 4.5ghz, something is wrong. :p

As long as your support hardware is good, those chips have no problem seeing 4ghz+.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If you can't overclock the xeon I linked with the ram i linked to 4.5ghz, something is wrong. :p

As long as your support hardware is good, those chips have no problem seeing 4ghz+.
You didn't link a Xeon. :p
And I'm guessing I'll need a monster cooling unit to overclock it that much.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
You didn't link a Xeon. :p
And I'm guessing I'll need a monster cooling unit to overclock it that much.
it was in post 21, sorry. wasn't necessarily directed to you I guess.

but no, you should be able to clear 4-4.5ghz on the stock cooler.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
My friend, that is a haswell-EP, and the benchmarks say it all.

That's why i linked to a partcular generation of xeon and specifically said "when building a system today."

Sorry, I missed the link, my bad.
BTW, forgive me, I just swapped the A10 benchmark in your comparison list with some stand alone CPUs from AMD, recpectively with an FX8350 and with an FX9590 just to make things a little more intresting :p

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I missed the link, my bad.
BTW, forgive me, I just swapped the A10 benchmark in your comparison list with some stand alone CPUs from AMD, recpectively with an FX8350 and with an FX9590 just to make things a little more intresting :p
If we're talking stock vs. stock, then yeah at that point it just becomes "do you prefer coke or pepsi?" the two processors you linked benchmarks to are great in their own right, but the OP mentioned overclocking. Intel's architecture these days responds a lot better to it than amd. if the cost is equal (according to those benchies it is) and I'm going to be overclocking, I want it to be on an intel.

Back in the early 00's the big draw to AMD's was the ability to take a lesser costing chip, throw a couple points of vcore and vdimm at your components so you can push your fsb up, and then have a faster machine than an Intel based box you could build for $300-500 more. There is a reason today that by and far, Intel dominates pretty much any benchmarking chart, whether it be stock or overclocked. AMD only peeked it's head out of their little underdog hidey hole for a second, but got a taste of what it's like to be on top and are now back to being number 2 (2 of 2 isn't bad though, is it?)

Also, completely unrelated, this is interesting for windows 8 fans. Apparently if you underclock your base clock via software (as I know some people do for fine tuning/testing before committing to bios) windows 8 loses the ability to track it's system clock accurately "and the inverse applies to overclocking, too." Interesting for sure, reveals a lot of weakness to the system imo.

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If we're talking stock vs. stock, then yeah at that point it just becomes "do you prefer coke or pepsi?" the two processors you linked benchmarks to are great in their own right, but the OP mentioned overclocking. Intel's architecture these days responds a lot better to it than amd. if the cost is equal (according to those benchies it is) and I'm going to be overclocking, I want it to be on an intel.

Back in the early 00's the big draw to AMD's was the ability to take a lesser costing chip, throw a couple points of vcore and vdimm at your components so you can push your fsb up, and then have a faster machine than an Intel based box you could build for $300-500 more. There is a reason today that by and far, Intel dominates pretty much any benchmarking chart, whether it be stock or overclocked. AMD only peeked it's head out of their little underdog hidey hole for a second, but got a taste of what it's like to be on top and are now back to being number 2 (2 of 2 isn't bad though, is it?)

Also, completely unrelated, this is interesting for windows 8 fans. Apparently if you underclock your base clock via software (as I know some people do for fine tuning/testing before committing to bios) windows 8 loses the ability to track it's system clock accurately "and the inverse applies to overclocking, too." Interesting for sure, reveals a lot of weakness to the system imo.
Didn't the system clock problem used to be an old Windows bug? I guess they reintroduced it.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
The coke or pepsy fight is the perfect example for sure, I must admit I'm an AMD guy, my first PC had an ancient athlon64, my actual has an FX8320, and it runs smoothly, my only intel rig was a laptop so it doesn' t count, for sure both producers are selling great pieces of hardware.
Since this is a transition build the most important thing to consider in my opinion is the price Vs performance score, considering also the MB price an AMD rig will cost about 150-200$ less than an equivalent intel one.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Ok, I personally have the parts for a build that is basically exactly like this one on the way to my house right now.
I would personally remove the second 970 and get something like a Corsair h60 for cooling.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I personally have the parts for a build that is basically exactly like this one on the way to my house right now.
I would personally remove the second 970 and get something like a Corsair h60 for cooling.
Hah, oops. I edited the build yesterday. I ended up getting something more tame, this: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/adamjoliver/saved/8PgCmG
Parts of which are on the way to me right now via Amazon free shipping. Ended up choosing the parts in the build I just linked after much conversation on IRC and /r/buildapc(on reddit).