Help with choosing Infinity Evolved or Revelations?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

BatCrooks

My 3 friends and I really loved playing FTB Ultimate (a couple years ago) and Sky Factory 3 (last year), but we're slightly conflicted and aren't sure which to go for next. We really enjoyed the mix of exploration, tech and magic that Ultimate had, but mostly we loved to explore and find new places (especially extra worlds like Twilight Forest) and missed it in SF3.

We aren't looking for a particularly 'hardcore' or super-challenging pack, and from what we've seen Infinity Evolved or FTB Revelations seem like they might be best suited to us, but we can't figure out the main differences between them. Infinity Evolved seems to have Twilight Forest, which would be fun to return to, and also some kind of quest system(?) which would be fun! But Revelations looks more recently updated, and possibly has more mods. Any advice for which we should go with?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Infinity Evolved quest mode is the super hard mode.

Basically, Infinity Evolved without the quest mode is the OG Kitchen Sink pack for Minecraft 1.7.10. Revelations is the most recent kitchen sink pack for 1.12.2

Boiled down, 1.7.10 is older, less efficient but requires less RAM. 1.12 is more efficient, but requires a lot of RAM. 8 minimum, IMO.

Infinity will probably have a wider selection of mods, but they are the old ones. That's either a feature or a bad thing depending on taste.
Revelations has the latest stuff, but is missing some of the charm from that 1.7 era from mods that haven't been updated, etc. But can do some stuff that the old versions couldn't and it'll be less messy since more of the features have been built directly into forge.

IMO, I recommend Revelations for you based on what you said there.

Reactions: BatCrooks
B

BatCrooks

Infinity Evolved quest mode is the super hard mode.

Basically, Infinity Evolved without the quest mode is the OG Kitchen Sink pack for Minecraft 1.7.10. Revelations is the most recent kitchen sink pack for 1.12.2

Boiled down, 1.7.10 is older, less efficient but requires less RAM. 1.12 is more efficient, but requires a lot of RAM. 8 minimum, IMO.

Infinity will probably have a wider selection of mods, but they are the old ones. That's either a feature or a bad thing depending on taste.
Revelations has the latest stuff, but is missing some of the charm from that 1.7 era from mods that haven't been updated, etc. But can do some stuff that the old versions couldn't and it'll be less messy since more of the features have been built directly into forge.

IMO, I recommend Revelations for you based on what you said there.

Thank you, this is a perfect answer for me. I've been trying to manually compare mods and stuff to see the pros and cons but this really summed it up! Very helpful, thank you!

Reactions: Drbretto

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I spent a very long time playing Infinity Evolved (plus extra mods of my own choosing etc), it's a great pack but it's no longer being worked on.
1.12 is still missing a few of the big mods from 1.7, but it's getting there, and having played a bit of Revelations it's got a nice feel to it.