Help with bee breeding

Toastylee123

Jul 29, 2019
I have bred my way up to windy bees, but they do not have the "faster production" trate, the highest speed i have been able to give them is "fast" from cultivated bees yet the wiki states they are capable of having "faster". Can anyone explain how i can obtain this as i'm stuck for idea :c

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
You're going to have to obtain the mutation again through breeding. Once you bred your bees, they obtained the faster trait through mutations, when breeding with other bees trying to get a purebred, the mutation got bred out somehow. The only truly flawless way to get the mutation without any risk of losing is is with an alveary that has the mutator blocks giving 100% chance of mutation.

Toastylee123

Jul 29, 2019
so, start from scratch with an alveary + mutator at every step, im just double checking here since that'll take a long time to do

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I think you'll have to re-breed the Windy bee from whatever bees you used to make it, unfortunately. :(

so, start from scratch with an alveary + mutator at every step, im just double checking here since that'll take a long time to do

Yes, you'll have to start from scratch.

Toastylee123

Jul 29, 2019
well, i suppose ill get my production line running with "fast" for now, then go through the re-breeding once it's all working. Thanks for the help

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
A warning ahead: If you use Forestry for a Minecraft version 1.5.x (e.g. the Unleashed pack), boosting the mutation rate by more than factor 10 will probably result in a swarmer bee, which decendant princesses are doomed to die at some point in the future. Using a mutator block in an alveary fed with uranium should be safe and is enough to ensure all descendants to mutate (14% base chance * 10 from the uranium) . Using frames in an apiary can boost your chance to ~81% (3 Metabolic Frames from Magic Bees).
You also don't need to start from hive bees for this. Just put a purebred Supernatural Bee with a purebred Ethereal Bee (purebred only relevant for the species, the other traits are irrelevant) in that mutator-boosted alveary and you will get perfect Windy Bees.
If you have Thaumcraft, breed your Windy Bees together to produce Aura Bees (Fastest Speed = production x1.7).
If you have Ars Magica, breed a slightly different path to produce Blitz Bees (Blinding Speed = production x2.0).

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

Just to let you know, from "Scratch" in this case is simply the combination of bees that made the windy one, you don't need to start all the way back from mundane -> common -> etc.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Just to let you know, from "Scratch" in this case is simply the combination of bees that made the windy one, you don't need to start all the way back from mundane -> common -> etc.

Assuming you stabilize and breed drones off of each new species as you get it, of course; I've seen people who didn't think to take that precaution and ended up regretting it. ;)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming you stabilize and breed drones off of each new species as you get it, of course; I've seen people who didn't think to take that precaution and ended up regretting it. ;)

oh yes. I've seen that happen too.. ><
Poor poor them

Toastylee123

Jul 29, 2019
i did go ahead and melt down most of my drones & princesses, but not before getting the serums for each of the species, would making a purebred of the Supernatural & Ethereal bees using those serums, then breeding those together work?

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
i did go ahead and melt down most of my drones & princesses, but not before getting the serums for each of the species, would making a purebred of the Supernatural & Ethereal bees using those serums, then breeding those together work?

I think so--though to save time and ensure you have the best chances of getting the trait you want, you should probably get some Wintry drones/princesses and get some Max Fertility serums from them, and infuse those into the Supernatural and Etherial bees as well; more drones means more chances to get the genes you want. ;)

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Using a mutator block in an alveary...

Hmmm...and hello again. I'm just wondering how you got a mutator alveary to work with Magic Bee mutations that require a foundation block to execute the mutation? Every time I've tried, I just ended up with hybrids of what I put in. But if I switch the setup to an apiary, boosted with metabolic frames, it works no problem.

Is it the arrangement of the mutator within the alveary setup [it working in this specific instance depends on where it is] or does every block underneath the alveary have to be a foundation block [just thought of this actually]?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm...and hello again. I'm just wondering how you got a mutator alveary to work with Magic Bee mutations that require a foundation block to execute the mutation? Every time I've tried, I just ended up with hybrids of what I put in. But if I switch the setup to an apiary, boosted with metabolic frames, it works no problem.

Is it the arrangement of the mutator within the alveary setup [it working in this specific instance depends on where it is] or does every block underneath the alveary have to be a foundation block [just thought of this actually]?
I personally always breed with apiaries only, so I haven't tested it. But IIRC the bug, that foundation blocks under an alveary wouldn't count, was fixed in one of the MB versions.

Edit: According to http://forestry.sengir.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17 it could work with a mutator, it could also not work. Maybe don't put the mutator block (or any other EB alveary blocks) at the center bottom to be sure ;)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
There are 2 kinds of mutation that occur : trait mutation and new species mutation.

For trait mutation, you will never, ever get a new trait that isn't on either the princess or the drone. Period.

For new species mutation, you will always get the full set of default traits for that new species on either the Active (left) side, Passive (right) side, or both sides if you're lucky.

The ideal way to get Fastest is pure Windy/Windy princess and drone, whether from the same Supernatural + Ethereal with shards under the alp/aviary or from different batches.

But, if you've tried batch after batch of Supernatural + Ethereal pairings and still can't get a Windy/Windy princess and drone, then, yes, melting down enough hybrids until you're lucky in the Isolator, doing the whole serum process, and then putting that Fastest trait into another bee is a good idea.

The 3rd way is to *try* and purify hybrids, but my luck has been terrible, and it's mostly because the new species is recessive (blue) rather than dominant (red). I can't remember the last time I saw the new species as dominant in a hybrid. I'm usually able to get a pure princess and a pure drone after a few batches and, failing that, melting down the hybrids will eventually get me what I want, whether the new species or a specific trait, like Fastest Productivity.

If it wasn't for the Extra Bees machines, I would have given up on bees a loooooooong time ago ![DOUBLEPOST=1382647100][/DOUBLEPOST]As for the foundation block under the alveary, it's always worked for me. In 1.5.2 Unleashed, I bred at least 8 species of bees that required specific foundation blocks.

But, I always make sure to put several of them under (not just 1) *and* I make sure at last once of the required blocks is under a basic Alveary block.

By basic block, I mean the plain Alveary block and not a Frame, Lighting, Rain Shield, Mutator, etc.,. block that can be substituted for an Alveary block in the lower 2 levels..

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I've had a good run so far, as using either the Mutator Alveary I built or an apiary with 3 soul/metabolic frames has given me either purebred pairs (mostly from the alveary) or mutated hybrids that I was able to pretty easily get purebreds out of. The machines have kept me going as well. Basically, any species produced through mutation goes immediately into the inoculator for max fertility injections. This simple step is what has aided me the most in bee breeding. Well, that and all mutagenic parents already have max fertility applied. I only skip max fertility after mutation IF that trait carried though onto 2/more children as an active trait.

Checked and the alveary block I was placing the foundation block under is an actual plain-old alveary block. I did only place a single foundation block though. Mayhap I'll try it again with multiple foundation blocks if I need more magic bees that require it.