Help with auto macerate and smelting system.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VozValden

Jul 29, 2019
I made a test world to set this thing up and perfect it before I make it on server, but I can seem to get it to work.

Edit: I am using FTB Ultimate 1.4.7.

Picture of setup:

*Macerator is sort of hidden behind the dirt in the center.
Un8DMGs.png

First gate to the left is set to redstone signal on - pulsate
Second gate to the left is set to space in inventory -redstone signal
Third is set to space in inventory - pulsate
Fourth is set to redstone signal on - pulsate .

I am trying to set up a system that will have my ores pumped in from my quarry's, then macerated, smelted, and put into a chest. The problem with this setup is that soon as a ore enters the macerator, the redstone signal shuts off and turns back on when its finished with the ores and will pump different ores at the same time causing some to spill out. Is there a better way of doing this? I would like to have 5 or so of each macerators and furnaces to that I can process multiple ores at a time. I am not familiar with this type of stuff, so how would I determine if one of the furnaces has a open slot... etc... Any help would be much appreciated.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to the forum! There are many different options, but until you tell us what modpack (and version) you play, we don't know which of those options are available to you. So for starters, have the classic "buffer inventory" band-aid:

1.) Remove the gate and wooden pipe on top of the macerator (by the way, you only ever need a wooden pipe to output, it is not required for a gate to function)
2.) Place a hopper or chute in its place
3.) Dig some dirt away from the macerator
4.) Attach any kind of pipe you want any pipe that won't connect to the adjacent cobblestone pipes, such as stone, to the front of the macerator
5.) Place the gate on the pipe in front of the macerator and set again the space in inventory->redstone signal condition
6.) Make sure the redstone line is hooked up properly

This makes all the ores pumped out enter the hopper first, which acts as a buffer inventory.

Bonus options:
7.) using sandstone pipes you can route the output line from the macerator past the hopper without connecting to it, simplifying the design.
8.) replace the two cobblestone pipes leading to the macerator with golden pipes

This will accelerate the items greatly, causing them to enter the macerator faster, which shuts off the redstone signal faster so less different ores can be pumped out at once.

VozValden

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I am using FTB Ultimate. I took your advice and made the changes accordingly, and it works great. This is a pretty compact design and I like it a lot. Instead of going directly into the chest from the tesseract, I am going to split it into 3 so I will have 3 lines.
kTgU6mz.png

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
1. Wooden pipes can also be used to restrict the directions that an ironpipe can be switched to using a redstone signal, just an FYI.
2. The hopper is to act as a buffer incase the system becomes overloaded and cannot keep up with the load. A loop or an iron pipe would also serve the same purpose.
3. I am replacing every single redstone engine in my base.

VozValden

Jul 29, 2019
since you`re on 1.4.7 it`s easier to use rp with no need for buffer.
Hmmm, but when FTB updates won't I be somewhat out of luck?

Even easier to just use AE plus it wont overflow
So that would mean sending the ores into my ME drives, then they are taken out as needed, smelted, then put back in? I kind of wanted it to all take place before it goes into storage, but I will take a look at this.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
I like your setup but I have a suggestion.Its nothing major but you may find it helpful. The diamond pipe can split items up by type so if you put one on the junction near the tesseract you can send iron ore left and copper ore right. You can direct things in all 6 directions too. This could be useful if you want seperate lines for individual ores. Of course, this will mean that while the lead line is usually running pretty smoothly the copper line might get backed up. However you can divert things with diamond pipes in more than one direction. The splitting ratio is not exact but it is reasonable. I tested it and the ratio was something like 69:66:66:55 so long as items are being sent one at a time (autarchic gates are fine). Diamond pipes also act like insertion pipes so if you have it directly on top of say the macerator but the macerator (or any other inventory) is unable to accept anymore items, the diamond pipe will attempt to put it in but then it will bounce back inside the pipe and move out the other end. They carry on to the next point in the pipe and do not go backwards and do not spit onto the floor. They are expensive, requiring 2 diamonds but you get 8 at a time and they are good. Sorry if my explanation was pants I'm only just getting used to buildcraft pipes too

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
You still need the buffer though, if you're going for a completely automated system. I don't ever want to look at my ore processing station again. Ever.

Can autarchic gates be used with liquid pipes?

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, but when FTB updates won't I be somewhat out of luck?

So that would mean sending the ores into my ME drives, then they are taken out as needed, smelted, then put back in? I kind of wanted it to all take place before it goes into storage, but I will take a look at this.

The thing about ME is that it isn't JUST storage. ME is processing and crafting as well. So you can't think of it like "just storage".

Lets say you have a tree farm that is feeding logs to a sawmill to make wood for an HP boiler. You could do this any of a few dozen ways. For instance, you could dump logs into a chest which empties into a hopper, the hopper to a sawmill, the sawmill to a hopper, the hopper to a chest, and have the boiler pull from the chest. This certainly works, but your chest is your only buffer and if you build up logs faster than the system can handle you are going to get backed up. Or, you could dump the logs to ME, have ME put them in the sawmill as it has room, have wood dump to ME, then have ME put wood into a chest that the boiler pulls from. The first solution uses less resources, but can easily start having problems if left to run on its own, while the second is easy to monitor and is very easy to add more storage space to.

So as you can see, ME isn't you storage system, it is your almost-everything system, and if you use it you should treat it that way.... Everything but liquids goes into it, then it sends things where they need to go, even if that means unrefined ores only stay in it for a millisecond.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
AE is only as good as the user though. There are serious limitations on what AE can do for you, it is also extremely expensive material-wise and can be energy-wise depending on the size of your system.

Play around with it when you can afford to. It's a strong tool, but it's still a tool. Depends on the user.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
AE is only as good as the user though. There are serious limitations on what AE can do for you, it is also extremely expensive material-wise and can be energy-wise depending on the size of your system.

Play around with it when you can afford to. It's a strong tool, but it's still a tool. Depends on the user.

There are indeed limits on what AE can do, and it can be expensive early on, but what it can do is independent of the person using it. My point is that if you think of it as only being a storage system then you are using it wrong because it is WAY more than that. Even if you use a system like the OP is using for processing AE can still be used for input and output control. It is what each player makes of it, but that can be said of absolutely every single thing in the game, so it doesn't mean much.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
1.) What is can do is independent of the person using it.

2.) It is what each player makes of it.

FTB provides you with multiple tools, some of them redundant from different modpacks, as a means to an end. How you achieve results is a function of the player, not the tool(s). There are endless combinations and more than one way to do things. This allows for creativity to be achieved. I'm sure there are people who can bring out the best in AE and those who might fumble with such a system. The usefulness of a tool is entirely dependent on the user. A dumbass with a hammer ends up with broken fingers. The hammer in itself is not a useless tool, but the user is useless, rendering the hammer useless.

I/O control is a matter of antics. It is up to the player to decide what he/she is comfortable with. What he/she can accommodate and make the best usage of. It is definitely what each player makes of it, i.e. it is once again, fully dependent on the user.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I'll agree that AE is the way to go. Nothing spills. It's instantaneous it can go from one end of your base to another in an instant, as opposed to waiting for it travel via pipe). And it actually greatly simplifies your system.

The way OP is doing it, you have to separate ores from non-ores at the quarry input. So you could end up with a messy diamond pipe system. With AE, just import everything from quarries, then export your ores to macerators and import the dusts. Then you export your dusts to wherever it's needed. Because the materials travel instantaneously, you don't need your blast furnace (for galena) to be anywhere near your induction furnace (for iron). (I separate my machines by EU level, so my 128 EU machines are in a completely separate area from my 32 EU machines).

Agree that it's not really an early-game system. And it can become a huge power hog. But by the time it's a power hog, you should be swimming in power.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well for OP, a solution that works... Now might be best.

Though AE is something to look -forward- to. How you can utilize it best is realized through experience. It's too expensive to use aimlessly though, I find anyways. Still finding ways to improve how I can use AE. Regardless though, it is a way increase the efficiency of your system greatly and it's fun watching the numbers go up and down. It makes adjusting the system SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier, since you can see all the numbers right in front of you, instead of going to every inventory and checking from there.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have read in many places the world resets may be in order for 1.6 because of the way that Liquids have been done or something like that