Help With Applied Energistics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It's a means to automate your processes and manage your inventories.

Everything is stored as "data" on "drives". You can put in and take things out of the AE system from "access terminals".

With tools like the export and import bus, you can automatically move items in and out of machines using the same interfaces as you would BC pipes/pneumatic tubes, etc. When you gather enough AE resources you can build a MAC (molecular assembly chamber) where you can insert "patterns".

"Patterns" as basically the same 3x3 grid you see on a crafting bench, but is actually hardcoded/programmed onto the "pattern". If placed inside your MAC, your AE system will have the ability to craft those items for you. You will be able to find that item listed among the items already contained in your AE system. All you have to do is click the item you have a pattern for, choose a number and assuming you have enough materials, your AE system will craft those items for you.

One example is circuits. You can program the recipe for a circuit onto a pattern and instead of making a circuit every time you need one, you can simply ask the AE system to build you them. Even further, if a recipe programmed onto a pattern contains a circuit (and you already have the circuit recipe on a pattern, in the system) it will craft the circuit automatically when you request any item that requires a circuit.

It's a very powerful tool. Learn to use it well. I've covered the first third or so of what you can do with AE, the rest is up to you to explore/find out. When you have more specific questions come back to the forums.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
why not just point the level emitter at the fabricator? this way the fab might receive extra input, but it's disabled and won't use the input, although there might be a bit of an issue extracting that extra input. maybe use the level emitter to also turn on another import bus to import the extra items? :p

Two things come to mind...first, I didn't realize/remember/whatever that a fab turned off with a redstone signal. The second is I'm just not sure. I feel comfortable turning off the fabricator input rather than turning off the fab because they are so darn fast. If you let the input fill up and just have the fab on idle when you turn the fab back on, your entire input buffer is going to convert in maybe two or three seconds. It feels to me that you could more easily waste resources that way (potentially).

Benjywa

Jul 29, 2019
Zilvar - you are bang on chap - it does go way fast. My current set up

ME Interface ------- Fabricator ---------- Import bus
Cable------------------Emitter -------------- Cable

Set to make compost is under 64 remain and gets up to around 250 before it switches of - I wanted around 250 and reduced the production to 64 to get it about right

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Zilvar - you are bang on chap - it does go way fast. My current set up

ME Interface ------- Fabricator ---------- Import bus
Cable------------------Emitter -------------- Cable

Set to make compost is under 64 remain and gets up to around 250 before it switches of - I wanted around 250 and reduced the production to 64 to get it about right

Yeah. I was reminded, when I read the last post, of working with a fabricator to setup a new AE system when it was added to DW20...yeah. hmm.

:)

I accidentally shift-clicked a stack of redstone into the fabricator's input chest when the pattern was already set. Before I could even think to move the mouse to fix it, I had a half-stack of gold processors to cook when I only needed 3 or 4.

Fabricators are fast.