Help please-Reed Farm Biogas-Biofuel

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
i am running on the mindcrack modpack, and im comverting my biomass into biofuel. i have 1 reed farm (2 levels) and 1 still but im not producing enough biomass to keep up with the still. im using fertilizer as well. i am also running only 1 full size boiler hooked up to 6 industrial steam enignes. i dont know why its not keeping up. please help. thanks!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i am running on the mindcrack modpack, and im comverting my biomass into biofuel. i have 1 reed farm (2 levels) and 1 still but im not producing enough biomass to keep up with the still. im using fertilizer as well. i am also running only 1 full size boiler hooked up to 6 industrial steam enignes. i dont know why its not keeping up. please help. thanks!

It is not keeping up because you do not have enough reeds. Add more levels:

Besides that, I've found that one fermenter can feed between four to six stills when using compressed plantballs and water.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019

Besides that, I've found that one fermenter can feed between four to six stills when using compressed plantballs and water.
i have thought of doing that, but im killing my own efficiency. i watch generik b and he runs 1 farm and it keeps up fine with 2 stills and 2 boilers.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i have thought of doing that, but im killing my own efficiency. i watch generik b and he runs 1 farm and it keeps up fine with 2 stills and 2 boilers.

Then it is time to take a few screenshots of your setup.

How are you dealing with the cane farm, as in are you powering it at all times, or timing it, or something else?

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
Then it is time to take a few screenshots of your setup.

How are you dealing with the cane farm, as in are you powering it at all times, or timing it, or something else?
im actually powering it with the steam engines and it cuts the reed down right when it grows. i use a tesseract to send the reed to my fermenter and it has water and fertilizer.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
im actually powering it with the steam engines and it cuts the reed down right when it grows. i use a tesseract to send the reed to my fermenter and it has water and fertilizer.

Ah, you may want to think about using redstone conduit to allow you to better control your power flow. Besides that, though, you likely need more power for your setup, and to NOT run the farm at all times. Set up your farm to be timed (computercraft, RP2 timer, etc) so that it will only harvest every two to five minutes, and then only for one minute (I believe that is long enough for a full pass, test lengths on your own).

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, you may want to think about using redstone conduit to allow you to better control your power flow. Besides that, though, you likely need more power for your setup, and to NOT run the farm at all times. Set up your farm to be timed (computercraft, RP2 timer, etc) so that it will only harvest every two to five minutes, and then only for one minute (I believe that is long enough for a full pass, test lengths on your own).
oh, sorry i meant like it runs off of a bank of MJ. then i feed it into a "buffer" limiting it to 35 MJ for the fertilizer and farm. and im using the conduits. im so confused:/

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
oh, sorry i meant like it runs off of a bank of MJ. then i feed it into a "buffer" limiting it to 35 MJ for the fertilizer and farm. and im using the conduits. im so confused:/

Ok, then that sounds about right. Try increasing your redstone energy cell to allow 50MJ, and see if that makes it faster. Then try 100MJ.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think its because im using 3 biogas engines to power 1 still? like its too fast?

vineet

Jul 29, 2019

Can explain that setup in more depth.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think its because im using 3 biogas engines to power 1 still? like its too fast?

And your fermenter is too slow. Do you usually get sugarcane/plantballs backed up in the fermenter, or is it usually empty? Maybe lower the power to your still to balance that, if need be.

Can explain that setup in more depth.
I will assume that was a question, asking me to explain my setup in more depth. Certainly:
Start with a 9x9 square of dirt. Cut out the proper holes to add sugar cane (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:Efficient_Sugarcane_Farm.png), and then make three more of the same so you have four dirt squares.
From there, you need to then get to the sky limit and build the same design right over your one at the bottom of the world, and then fill the holes with water. It will create a bunch of waterfalls.
Now, program a computercraft turtle to move upwards until it cannot move upwards any longer, placing cane on every first layer, and dirt (ending the layer) on every fourth layer. Make a dozen turtles so this goes by much faster. Portal gun portals make getting up to the top much easier if you don't have mystcraft.
You now have four massive sugarcane towers. You can set these up to use the sugarcane harvesting farm block to get every two levels.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
And your fermenter is too slow. Do you usually get sugarcane/plantballs backed up in the fermenter, or is it usually empty? Maybe lower the power to your still to balance that, if need be.
no, it theres never any backups in my fermenter. theres like that 3-5 seconds pause from the next 2-3 reeds i get.[DOUBLEPOST=1361935007][/DOUBLEPOST]but that pause dosent happen all the time. like its random[DOUBLEPOST=1361935247][/DOUBLEPOST]

I will assume that was a question, asking me to explain my setup in more depth. Certainly:
Start with a 9x9 square of dirt. Cut out the proper holes to add sugar cane (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:Efficient_Sugarcane_Farm.png), and then make three more of the same so you have four dirt squares.
From there, you need to then get to the sky limit and build the same design right over your one at the bottom of the world, and then fill the holes with water. It will create a bunch of waterfalls.
Now, program a computercraft turtle to move upwards until it cannot move upwards any longer, placing cane on every first layer, and dirt (ending the layer) on every fourth layer. Make a dozen turtles so this goes by much faster. Portal gun portals make getting up to the top much easier if you don't have mystcraft.
You now have four massive sugarcane towers. You can set these up to use the sugarcane harvesting farm block to get every two levels.
i would do that, but for what im using my mj for thats waay to overkill.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
no, it theres never any backups in my fermenter. theres like that 3-5 seconds pause from the next 2-3 reeds i get.[DOUBLEPOST=1361935007][/DOUBLEPOST]but that pause dosent happen all the time. like its random

Yes, what happens is that sugarcane grow randomly, so you will end up with some spikes in your data, but if it doesn't ever get full you are not producing enough sugarcane to overload it (which is good, because you don't want to waste sugarcane), so make another farm and see if that is able to overload it. Start there, and see if that is enough biofuel to keep things rolling.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, what happens is that sugarcane grow randomly, so you will end up with some spikes in your data, but if it doesn't ever get full you are not producing enough sugarcane to overload it (which is good, because you don't want to waste sugarcane), so make another farm and see if that is able to overload it. Start there, and see if that is enough biofuel to keep things rolling.
i will try to make another 21x21 farm as soon as i get my server back up. but, i still dont get why it dosent keep up for me. i watch pakkrats videos and he uses 1 farm and it keeps up. Generik has 1 farm and it keeps up. do you think it has anything to do with server and client lag?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i will try to make another 21x21 farm as soon as i get my server back up. but, i still dont get why it dosent keep up for me. i watch pakkrats videos and he uses 1 farm and it keeps up. Generik has 1 farm and it keeps up. do you think it has anything to do with server and client lag?

I don't think that would be it. Did you replicate their designs directly? And some screenshots, again, would be helpful.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that would be it. Did you replicate their designs directly? And some screenshots, again, would be helpful.
i would love to but my server isnt running atm. im pretty sure they both use mulch. but im not sure if that makes a big difference.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i would love to but my server isnt running atm. im pretty sure they both use mulch. but im not sure if that makes a big difference.

Fermentation Items (IV)

ItemWork CyclesLiquid Consumption (mB)
Fertilizer 200 11200
Compost 250 12000
Mulch 250 12000

That shouldn't be too big of a difference, at least not enough to cause such a drastic issue.

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
im so confused now. but ill use ur suggestions by adding another farm. thanks for you help man. i gotta get to bed now. thanks

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
im so confused now. but ill use ur suggestions by adding another farm. thanks for you help man. i gotta get to bed now. thanks
Good night, and if another farm doesn't fix it, add more farms, I always say! At least, I will now.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I use a double layer 18x18 cane farm (rook layout such as the link above), one layer only has a single growth layer (mis-built the basement) but it doesn't matter as the golems harvest everything with a single block of growth. I use 1 straw and 2 wood golems to maintain the sugar cane part of my farms (also have a cactus, wheat, potato, carrot and melon down there but with different golems (9 total) and some iron golesm to control the slime chunk a bit. They dump the harvest directly into relays which feed directly into my main base.

At my production end: I have 1 fermenter running on water and compost (nothing fancy).. The system is almost entirely self sufficient as long as i run my quarry at least once a ... well.. maybe a month? to fill the dirt buffer (I guess, as I've used a single row of dirt in just over a week now), ultimately I could plantball -> macerator to generate my own dirt for the system I have plenty of plant matter.

I have 3 stills, my stills and fermenter SHARE 20MJ/Tick from a redstone energy cell, no more no less. I maintain a wooden chest buffer of wheat for the compost, and (4) relays of buffer for the other plant matter for the fermenter (8:1 reeds / others). Going to convert this to a chest and BC pipe eventually if RP doesn't update soon. After the buffers fill all the remaining plant matter get recycled.

My system has a 5x5x7 tank of biomass and a 3x3x7 tank of fuel that then feeds a liquid boiler. I still end up recycling about 1/2-2/3rds of the reeds/catcus/wheat my farms produce (the reeds outnumber the rest of the mass 8:1 though).

It should require more stills than fermenters to maintain flow, and I forget the exact math of course, but as a reference my system should be able to handle 2 36HP Liquid boilers at max temp. If you're doing a direct feed, it is NOT likely you can keep up with the 9X fuel usage as the boiler warms up (it takes approx 400 buckets of fuel to fully heat a boiler), so use a tank to create a buffer of around 400 buckets large for each boiler in the system. Once its warmed up the stills with only moderate power will keep up with consumption etc etc... I keep the buffers for when the server kills my golems :)

Another bit of math, 8 sugar cane produces more biomass then 1 plant ball, and it also makes it simpler. Create a buffer chest for the sugar cane and feed the fermenter off that to smooth over dark areas of harvest.

Max power for a fermenter is 17MJ/tick, each still has a max input of 6MJ/tick. this is from the new forestry Wiki so i'd say its pretty accurate. As a point, I could increase my power output to 35MJ to increase the output of my system (will when I add the second boiler).