Problem Help, no mobs!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
So the update recently happened (I have an ultimate server). I had to totally do a whole new server install, and then move my world file over (help me if there's a better way to do this, I have a mac, so it takes a while).
Anyways, after the update, I don't think I've seen one mob spawn. My sheep and cows and junk are still around, and my mob spawners still work, but stuff doesn't generate on their own. I run around at night through unbuilt-up biomes, and there's no mobs, ever, anywhere.
Checked the server properties, mob spawning = true.
Thanks for any help

Reactions: Siu

Ingenia

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having the same issue. I spawned an entirely new world, we've been running for about a week. The last few days have been completely mob-free and I have no idea what's causing it. I've checked that my mob spawning = true, view distance = 10, I've even had players take up their chunk loaders. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: Siu

Nithlus

Jul 29, 2019
have yo checked the obvious things like the server.properties file and opening up the level.dat with an NTB editor to check if mobs are enabled in both?

Siu

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all, I have the same problem, and I'm out of ideas.

Have Ultimate Server, latest version. No Monsters have been spawning for the past few days. Animals, squids, bats are fine. The Nether and twilight/myst worlds are fine. Any spawner in the dungeon (skeleton, zombie, poison spider, etc.) work fine as well.

Sever is set to survival/normal. The players and I have removed all chunk loaders and quarries. The server runs about 20ms/t in main world, and less than 3ms/t in the nether. I do not believe this is a load issue. Server view distance is set to 10. Spawn-monsters is set to true.

We have traveled far and wide, and nothing spawns. Any ideas?

Reactions: Cosmology27

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Update:
In single player mobs spawn normally.
In my server world I have all the same issues as Siu. Mobs spawn in other dimensions, just not the overworld. Neutral mobs spawn in the overworld, just not hostile ones. My soulcage mob spawners DO work.

Siu

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my server properties file (with some nonessential items removed). This has not changed since the hostile mobs stopped spawning in the overworld except for changing difficulty to 2.

#Minecraft server properties
#Fri Jun 07 10:41:24 EDT 2013
generator-settings=
allow-nether=true
level-name=KAOS
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
server-port=25570
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=true
spawn-animals=true
snooper-enabled=true
hardcore=false
texture-pack=
online-mode=true
pvp=true
difficulty=2
gamemode=0
max-players=25
spawn-monsters=true
generate-structures=true
view-distance=10
spawn-protection=16
motd=[redacted]

Attached is a partial look at the level.dat file. This should confirm the settings above.

Attachments

• level.jpg
    level.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Cosmology27

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE:
Randomly, and for no reason, I now have mobs. My server crashed, then all of a sudden there are mobs again. I don't know if it's BECAUSE of the crash, but it works now, and I have no idea why. Had about four or five days without mobs, maybe more. Clueless on this one.

Siu

Jul 29, 2019
So, I dug into this problem a little more, wanting to understand where the mobs were that could be causing this issues, I loaded my map in MCEDIT, and it was very easy to see. They were forming in a square "ring" around the spawn point. It was very evident that this was an abnormality on the map. I deleted these chunks, and loaded my map back up and it was fixed! Yay, right? Well, maybe not.

A day later, i noticed fewer and fewer mobs until there were no more. Loaded the map back up into MCEDIT, and there they were again. Around the spawn point in an approximately a 16x16 chunk area. Very strange.

primryartemis

Jul 29, 2019
So, I dug into this problem a little more, wanting to understand where the mobs were that could be causing this issues, I loaded my map in MCEDIT, and it was very easy to see. They were forming in a square "ring" around the spawn point. It was very evident that this was an abnormality on the map. I deleted these chunks, and loaded my map back up and it was fixed! Yay, right? Well, maybe not.

A day later, i noticed fewer and fewer mobs until there were no more. Loaded the map back up into MCEDIT, and there they were again. Around the spawn point in an approximately a 16x16 chunk area. Very strange.

Actually that's a great find. If it is only around spawn you can install world guard with bukkit forge and set the area around spawn to not be allowed to spawn mobs

Ingenia

Jul 29, 2019
While I was away on vacation one of my friends came up with this in-game solution.
Seems that there is a thaumcraft temple / wisp spawner at the server spawn, cranking out wisps like there is no tomorrow.

I've been cleaning it up, but have to be imaginative, since there is spawn protection on.
Been creating a pure node (no wisps) nearby.
Once i have it large enough (over 600 vis) then I can drag the bad node out of the protected area and merge it with the pure node, hopefully eliminating the endless wisps in the process.
Meanwhile, I've got a bunch of bees cleaning up the flux at spawn too.

So far, natural mob spawning has been healthy over the past 12 hours.

It's a fair bit of work in-game but he had fun figuring it out and our spawn rates are back to normal.