[Help] Most Efficient AE Storage System?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
no worries. but that's the cool thing about modded minecraft. no matter what you've built, someone has done it differently. i'm sure someone has a design that is even friendlier to large server environments than both of ours.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
no worries. but that's the cool thing about modded minecraft. no matter what you've built, someone has done it differently. i'm sure someone has a design that is even friendlier to large server environments than both of ours.

Creative mode?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Been several threads about this lately, but my advice is: One formatted disc for each high quantity item. Depending on quantity a 1k or 4k should be enough. For cobble, dirt, sand etc you might want to considder an 16k but only if you like me use large quantities of it for building stuff like mountains or filling in seas now and then.

Key point it to install an automatic overflow system so that once an items formatted disc gets full, the items wont start clogging up everything else. Not going to write a complete detailed guide to this again, but link to an old one I did a while back:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ender-chest-to-recycler.34245/#post-471191
You can replace the recyclers in that post with something like Trashcans or Voidchests/pipes etc.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood the point of pre-formatted disks other than to store a single item. Is there some other advantage? Aside from the material cost, I find a DSU does a much better job.

For single items that I will have a lot of, I just use a DSU. I start with the obvious ones, cobble, dirt, sand, gravel. And then add more as needed

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I never understood the point of pre-formatted disks other than to store a single item. Is there some other advantage? Aside from the material cost, I find a DSU does a much better job.

For single items that I will have a lot of, I just use a DSU. I start with the obvious ones, cobble, dirt, sand, gravel. And then add more as needed
Organisation. Saving space by having fewer unique items stored on each disc(which results in the same item not being spread out over several discs). But primarily to be able to use priority once the primary disk gets full and let the rest get destroyed.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
But primarily to be able to use priority once the primary disk gets full and let the rest get destroyed.
ok that makes sense now.

But I usually use a DSU for high count items so I dont have to worry about overflow.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
ok that makes sense now.

But I usually use a DSU for high count items so I dont have to worry about overflow.

MFR has TE3 recipes enabled on my server so they cost a tesseract which requires some infrastructure to build. AE then becomes a cheaper option unless you really need to store a few billion of something. I'd rather use all that cobble to start making quantum entangled singularities. I really miss extra-dimensional barrels though.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

I've got a preformatted disk for all my ores and ingots, but I'm using a 64k drive for those

I preformatted it, because i don't want anything else taking up the item type on there except for my ingots and ores. Everything else can go on my lower storage drives

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to avoid the DSU; feel it's a bit too good for the cost. Using TE recipes... maybe the same deal. I guess I just don't like not being able to see what's in 'em at a glance, where as a good ME Network can do this(and more).
But then again, a Good ME Network is hard to find, most people don't know how to use AE well, as the OP shows. Preformat your disks! Storage Priorities! Sub-network your autocrafting/ore processing!
Plus, I wouldn't play on a "huge server" unless I knew the admins. Not if big tech mods are involved, or if just anyone can do pretty much anything. I have been on servers before where finding a place to live is all but impossible, where all villages on the overworld are ruined and every TC node for miles has been broken or stolen. And where tainted lands run rampant because rookie thaumaturges make huge mistakes.

Reactions: kaovalin