Help me understand some basics

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TigerXtrm

Jul 29, 2019
So I have extensive experience in running vanilla Minecraft servers and also Tekkit servers. Both of these run on a (slightly altered) version of Bukkit as the framework. I blindly expected that Feed the Beast would also run on some version of Bukkit but apparently I was wrong.

Am I correct in understanding that FTB runs entirely on Forge and that most (if not all) regular Bukkit plugins won't work? I noticed that there are certain bridges or ports or whatever you want to call it, do these manage to port any native Bukkit plugin or are there certain requirements?

Since I have absolutely no experience with Forge, could anyone inform me of some basics that I should know compared to Bukkit?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
There is NCP+ or Bukkitforge, which both supposed to run a forge server which act like a "bridge" for plugins to work on a forge server. Bukkitforge is said to be easier to install but NCP+ have enhanced features for the server to run more "efficiently". Then once you get either one of those working you can then add plugins that will work with them. Thanks god I don't have to deal with these things because I have no idea how to do all this. Thanks to support that isn't an idiot. :) Man I love this host support, their priceless support would beat a ticket booth any time, any day.:)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
There is NCP+ or Bukkitforge, which both supposed to run a forge server which act like a "bridge" for plugins to work on a forge server. Bukkitforge is said to be easier to install but NCP+ have enhanced features for the server to run more "efficiently". Then once you get either one of those working you can then add plugins that will work with them. Thanks god I don't have to deal with these things because I have no idea how to do all this. Thanks to support that isn't an idiot. :) Man I love this host support, their priceless support would beat a ticket booth any time, any day.:)

What hosting do you use?

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
What hosting do you use?
My recommendation would be to rent your own VPS / dedi and manage it yourself. Any host with Minecraft in the name is typically just offering you a very low-end VPS which is designed for vanilla, with the price bumped up. If you are wondering why they set the prices of their plans based on the amount of RAM available, and not based on CPU power, normally it is because they have no CPU power to offer. This is a problem when you want to host FTB with more than 10 players.

Obviously this is not true of all Minecraft hosts, this has simply been my experience.

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
So I have extensive experience in running vanilla Minecraft servers and also Tekkit servers. Both of these run on a (slightly altered) version of Bukkit as the framework. I blindly expected that Feed the Beast would also run on some version of Bukkit but apparently I was wrong.

Am I correct in understanding that FTB runs entirely on Forge and that most (if not all) regular Bukkit plugins won't work? I noticed that there are certain bridges or ports or whatever you want to call it, do these manage to port any native Bukkit plugin or are there certain requirements?

Since I have absolutely no experience with Forge, could anyone inform me of some basics that I should know compared to Bukkit?

I would highly recommend using MCPC+ from Minecraft port central, I can vouch that the recommended builds are 100% stable. Besides MCPC is what Tekkit uses for its Bukkit capabilities. I don't have experience with BukkitForge but I have heard that it is far inferior.

To install MCPC+, simply download the latest recommended version and take note of what version of Minecraft it is designed for.

For Minecraft 1.6: http://ci.md-5.net/job/MCPC-Plus/
For Minecraft 1.5: http://ci.md-5.net/job/MCPC-Plus-Legacy/

The recommended builds have the little stars next to them. Now simply replace your ftbserver.jar with the MCPC+ jar you downloaded, and start the server. A plugins folder will be generated and you are good to go.