Help? How to update *MONSTER* server from 1.05 to 1.09 (Recommended)

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings,
So, still relatively new to the whole HOSTING a server thing! I spent the last 25 minutes looking for clear answers to my questions, but just didn't find them. So, I could use some help on this

1) (easy) What will happen if my friends upgrade to MONSTER 1.09 on accident, but my server remains MONSTER 1.05?

2) (longer) Can someone explain different options and consequences of how to update my home-hosted MONSTER 1.05 server to the newly recommended 1.09 version?

-a few friends and I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on large house with complex portions from various mods being used. I have NO interest in re-building the house (or collecting the various resources).
-I read that if I just update, it should be fine? but, any newly introduced blocks will appear as a cliff? can someone post a picture or video of just how bad this cliff is? Are there even new blocks introduced between 1.05 and 1.09?
-we have explored out about 20 minutes in most directions.
-since its a step between recommended versions, I would think a detailed transition write up, will probably help other as well.
-I haven't changed anything in the 'config' files yet
-also, if its easier, i can meet up with someone on TeamSpeak3 or Skype (just PM me if you can talk to me about it)

thx, i really appreciate this communities help each time!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
1) They wont be able to connect

2)back up the world, and just swap the mods/configs folders within the server folder.
edit:
-I read that if I just update, it should be fine? but, any newly introduced blocks will appear as a cliff? can someone post a picture or video of just how bad this cliff is? Are there even new blocks introduced between 1.05 and 1.09? Basically, new chunks will look funky. Chunk borders where you haven't already been may appear as another biome, and might have a different surface level, making a gigantic wall of dirt/stone/ore. Easily fixed by just placing dirt down if it ruins your scenery ;)

Reactions: Riven

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
FTB downloads the server as a complete runnable thing.

So, download the new server. and place it in a folder. C:\MonsterServer\1.0.9\ (for example).
Copy the world folder from your previous server (C:\MonsterServer\1.0.5\world\ perhaps) to the new folder.

Now, players with FTB Monster 1.0.9 will be able to connect, and check the place out. It will probably be fine - especially with the amount of terrain you have explored.
Advantage of this: You have a perfectly runnable 1.0.5 server to fall back to if something does go wrong with 1.0.9.

Reactions: SawBlade and Riven

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
Once, I have extracted the 1.09 file, do I run the server once before replacing the world folder? the Server BAT and Server Properties folder?

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
ok. I logged on. the house was there. most of it seemed to be working. but... all the glass was gone. lol. about 4000 blocks of glass. so..

1) is there a way to get the glass back?

2) I can give a player 4000 units of glass with the server, but can I enable flying temporarily so that we can replace all the glass over our huger Greenhouse?

UW-SoulReaper

Jul 29, 2019
Same thing happend when I updated. We lost glass in afew buildings.

This might help ya:

/gamemode 1 is the commnad for Creative mode

or do like /give player (item id) 64

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
Same thing happend when I updated. We lost glass in afew buildings.

This might help ya:

/gamemode 1 is the commnad for Creative mode

or do like /give player (item id) 64

I will try the /gamemode command when I can get the /help to work, my /give doesn't work

says unknown command

but. perhaps /gamemode will give us unlimited stacks to replace the glass. so that may work. I'm just concerned about the server commands not working.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is why you have a backup.
1. Log into the world using your 1.0.5 client and 1.0.5 server. Use WALIA to see what the block id of the glass is, what mod it belongs to etc.
2. Check in the 1.0.9 config files to see what the new ID is.

Then
3a. Edit the 1.0.9 config files so they preserve the id of the glass as per the 1.0.5 value. This will be a hassle going forwards as each update is going to require that id to be different from the "official" Monster value.
3b. Get "MidasGold". MidasGold is a package that updates IDs in save games. Use it - on a pristine 1.0.5 game - to convert the ids of the glass from the old, to the new ID. Replace your current 1.0.9 save with the MidasGold version and the glass should be preserved.

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
I am typing the commands directly into the Server Command Console - using a Remote Access software. so, shouldn't be a permissions thing. so i can assume. I'm the only one with these issues with the /help not working?

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
OK RESOLUTIONS

In the end due to lessons learned from playing on the server, my users and I, decided re-spawn the world from scratch and leave Creative mode on for 24 hours in order rebuild a base with all the same stuff we had before, but this time in a different arrangement.

so, I:
- DL'd the server
- extracted it. Ran
- Ran it for the first time
- exited immediately (also "help" wasn't working in the console)
- altered the Config file as needed
- even though server was in a new folder, it was finding the OLD world files somehow. Ended up specifying a new "World Name" = which created a new "world" folder and a new world
- didn't need to alter the ServerStart files as they had the java arguments I was using already in place
- some where along the way the console bug fixed itself.... so, don't know what to do about that
- While in Creative Mode, my 7 year old sone, placed a block that would crash anyone who loaded the Chunk (area of the game) that the block had been placed in
- --- I got worried about how to fix it
- Used MCEdit (www.mcedit.net) and quickly deleted the block that was causing 3 users to crash immediately upon load,
---while in in MCEdit, I very easily changed the player spawn location
- New base complete, changed the Server Config file back to gamemode 0 - we are off and playing again!
-- Nether portal conveniently linked to my portal in the base - so didn't have to do anything funky to link them. YAY!

so, Upgrade complete. Fun being had! great experience.