[Help] Hey, I can't play dw20 1.7 modpack.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Feldmanovich_

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone, I think is my first thread so I'm realy sorry if I did something wrong.

Anyway I got a problem playing the dw20 1.7 modpack, I can download the modpack via the ftb launcher, I can launch the game via the "Launch" bottun but the game always crash about 10seconds after the 'Mojang' logo appears on the white screen and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

My computer has a total of 4gb of ram and I've tried to launch the game with 3gb, 3.25gb, 3.5gb and even 3.75gb but it did'nt help (my friend managed to play with 3.25gb). I'm using windows 7 and I got 64bits.

I'm currently trying to use java 8 but i've also tried like 3versions of java 7 and it did'nt help (it only worked once when i updated from 1.7.0_45 to 1.7.0_71 but it never worked again), I've reinstalled the pack over 50times also tried to reinstall the versions folder, the assests folders and the library folders (and all other folders\files), I've even reinstalled the launcher twice but it did'nt help.

Accoridng to the crash-report (one of many xD) I have a problem with a texture or extrautitle's texture, not sure. http://pastebin.com/Fg9DBuFf
And I've never tried to put a texture also I've tried to disable extra utilties and it did'nt help, I've even asked my friend to upload his 'mods' folder and I downloaded it+ replaced my 'mods' folder with it but it did'nt help as well.

According to the Task Manager minecraft always crash\stops loading at about 2.4gb of ram (memory) and is not even getting close to the max (3.5gb usually), it stops at about 85-88%physical memory.

In the last week I've been trying to do everything that I can in order to make it work (even installing a new java version twice and uninstalling all of the old versions).

Please, Please help me :)

Thank you very much and sorry about my horrible english :)

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
you java shouldnt eat more then 1.8gb of ram loading the game (even with 64x64 texture pack) as soon as you load a world yo uwill need arround 2.6gb and you should always have atleast 1 gig free for your OS... maybe try running it on linux or limit the launcher to 2.8/2.9 gb of ram

Also maybe you should think of upgrading your ram to 8gb it's not that expensive (even as a kid with a few odd jobs you can easily get the money to buy good ram)

Feldmanovich_

Jul 29, 2019
you java shouldnt eat more then 1.8gb of ram loading the game (even with 64x64 texture pack) as soon as you load a world yo uwill need arround 2.6gb and you should always have atleast 1 gig free for your OS... maybe try running it on linux or limit the launcher to 2.8/2.9 gb of ram

Also maybe you should think of upgrading your ram to 8gb it's not that expensive (even as a kid with a few odd jobs you can easily get the money to buy good ram)

I can't load the world :(, I can't even load the game. So you're sayin the ram is'nt the problem ? so why I can't play in the modpack, please help me :)

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
did you try limiting the ftb launcher to 2.5gb of ram? i still think you give it to much ram (as i said your OS needs atleast 1gb too so if you allocate 3gb from 4gb to minecraft alone thats to much)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Try a different launcher. I use the default one that doesnt have a slider for allocated ram so I have to use java arguments. Heres mine:
-Xmx3G -Xmn768m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

But they do more than just RAM, not sure what it all means really but that last one is especially important. I usually cant load the game (modded) without it no matter the launcher. -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

Feldmanovich_

Jul 29, 2019
Try a different launcher. I use the default one that doesnt have a slider for allocated ram so I have to use java arguments. Heres mine:
-Xmx3G -Xmn768m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

But they do more than just RAM, not sure what it all means really but that last one is especially important. I usually cant load the game (modded) without it no matter the launcher. -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

What, I did'nt understand what you're saying, is it another launcher unlike the ftb? and how do I download them.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
What, I did'nt understand what you're saying, is it another launcher unlike the ftb? and how do I download them.

Google MultiMC, install it. Look for the place to paste in java arguments and load the direwolf modpack with it instead of the FTB launcher. Or just try the java arguments with your FTB launcher and see if it works.

Feldmanovich_

Jul 29, 2019
Google MultiMC, install it. Look for the place to paste in java arguments and load the direwolf modpack with it instead of the FTB launcher. Or just try the java arguments with your FTB launcher and see if it works.

Oh sweet, thanks ! but I did'nt realy get it how does it work? how do i get the dw20 1.7 pack to the multimc launcher? i put the "-Xmx3G -Xmn768m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:MaxPermSize=256m" in the java arugments and is a code for the modpack? not sure, please relpy and help, thank you :)

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
actually, this works. But you have to manually install forge.
MultiMC seems to tag FTB instances, and uses an FTB launch style system for grabbing forge when using ftb tagged instances, but If you copy an FTB instance it can screw with MultiMC and the way it grabs FTB-style forge installs - so this results in crashes.
When I copied the Direwolf20 pack in MultiMC, in the "Version" section of the instance edit window there's Minecraft, LWJGL, and "Direwolf20". The "Direwolf20" is supposed to be some sort of forge, multiMC calls it an "FTB pack version patch" - but it doesn't work properly on copied FTB instances - so you have to remove that, and install forge.
Some 1 said this in an other thread

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used multimc in forever but as far as i can remeber there was a button for forge and another button for mods and then you could just copy the whole dw20 mod folder into the multimc one...
but take it with a grain of salt as the last time i used multimc was a year ago

Feldmanovich_

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used multimc in forever but as far as i can remeber there was a button for forge and another button for mods and then you could just copy the whole dw20 mod folder into the multimc one...
but take it with a grain of salt as the last time i used multimc was a year ago

I did it what you said, but I seem to have an error or a problem with the mods because i need a newer version of something or something's missing, not sure

Feldmanovich_

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I would prefer to play on the ftb launcher if is possible or at least know why I can't play there (what's the error).

It might be my low memory (my computer only has 4gb of ram) but the error is about the texture according to the crash report: http://pastebin.com/PNB3GF7t

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
you could try to install linux in dual boot and try playing over linux.. or steamos which is also linux just more for gaming^^

Infraded

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, the problem is not with your system memory, but with your graphics memory.

OpenGL: Intel Bear Lake B GL version 1.4.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930, Intel

This generation of video card is, at best, 6 years old and simply does not have the necessary memory to store all of the required textures. I'd look for an inexpensive video card to upgrade to which should not only allow you to play the game, but should give you a nice performance boost in the process.

Also to note, the version of OpenGL supported by this card will not even be sufficient to run vanilla Minecraft in the future, so an upgrade will be needed sooner or later. https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1307761-future-opengl-support

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Unfortunately, the problem is not with your system memory, but with your graphics memory.

I would agree and disagree with you there.

Yes the graphics card is under-powered, but, 4gigs of system ram? It has been said many times all over these forums, you need more. The packs in 1.7 need a minimum of 3-4 gigs to run, not leaving your OS enough ram to keep working.

Yeah, 1.7... I'm just gonna wait a bit till all the bugs are worked out...

Infraded

Jul 29, 2019
I would agree and disagree with you there.

Yes the graphics card is under-powered, but, 4gigs of system ram? It has been said many times all over these forums, you need more. The packs in 1.7 need a minimum of 3-4 gigs to run, not leaving your OS enough ram to keep working.

Yeah, 1.7... I'm just gonna wait a bit till all the bugs are worked out...

My point in that statement was that the troubleshooting in this thread was all related to system memory, but the crash was specifically related to graphics memory. He could probably JUST get by with 4GB if he moved to a dedicated GPU, but yes, RAM should be next on the upgrade list.