Hello, I'd like to share with you all how storing energy in BuildCraft works.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Ya love the wiring but I wish we had an option to use it without pipes. But it does introduce a nice problem solving element to systems. Would be nice if they added an early tier crafting without the need for the assembly table, maybe with a 2x penalty so it takes 2x's the resources to make.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I agree some parts of the BC should be available earlier like façades and pipe plugs...
I have wondered about this myself. Why does one need a laser to break blocks apart and stick them on to a pipe? Microblocks are simple and cheap and can be made as soon as you get some flint to make a Stone Saw. Why do you need a minimum of 7 diamonds, 8 obsidian, and energy to craft the BC equivalent?

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
I have wondered about this myself. Why does one need a laser to break blocks apart and stick them on to a pipe? Microblocks are simple and cheap and can be made as soon as you get some flint to make a Stone Saw. Why do you need a minimum of 7 diamonds, 8 obsidian, and energy to craft the BC equivalent?
because back then FMP wasnt the "bomb" though to admit RP had the same idea not just expounded until chickenbones dropped by

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
because back then FMP wasnt the "bomb" though to admit RP had the same idea not just expounded until chickenbones dropped by
As far as I understand things FMP was only made because RP basically became a dead mod and because multiparts were so popular. Best example for this kind of thing is all the RP replacement mods there are now.

As far as facades and pipe plugs go, would be nice if they could hook into the FMP code somewhere, some things that come to mind would be Cover + Structure Pipe = Facade and Structure Pipe + Saw = Pipe Plugs, could even give different amounts of plugs based on saw quality. On this same subject though, why does it require lasers and power to make Pipe Cables? This is another thing that could easily be done in other ways.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
You don't really need wires, plugs or facades before you start to get a little bit more advanced with gates so I don't see the big fuss. I for one always make an Assembly table and a few Lasers long before anything resembling a house. I dig a hole in a mountain and set up shop there. It's really just a question about priorities. If you are making an Assembly table because you need facades or pipe plugs and not because of gates, then you've not done things in the right order. ;)

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
You don't really need wires, plugs or facades before you start to get a little bit more advanced with gates so I don't see the big fuss. I for one always make an Assembly table and a few Lasers long before anything resembling a house. I dig a hole in a mountain and set up shop there. It's really just a question about priorities. If you are making an Assembly table because you need facades or pipe plugs and not because of gates, then you've not done things in the right order. ;)
Of course, that's assuming everyone has a similar playstyle to you. Guess what? Not everyone does. Facades and Pipe Plugs are used primarily for looks and build design, which has nothing at all to do with gates and heaven forbid that anyone wants to make a base that looks nice and HIDES pipes and things before teching up. The wires thing was more a sense thing rather then a tech tree choice. Since all this talk of "realism" in the thread I figured it would be a good place to mention it.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
and i call it EU storage.
and also a UE storage.
and RF storage.

but it's easier to just call it a Fuel storage.
You still don't get it. That's the point. Buildcraft uses fuel as an equivalent to IC2's EU. Pipes, and what we call MJ, are just extensions of the engines which we feed fuel too. Like I stated before engines and the machines they run act as one. Just as one car is made of both an engine and its moving parts.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
You still don't get it. That's the point. Buildcraft uses fuel as an equivalent to IC2's EU. Pipes, and what we call MJ, are just extensions of the engines which we feed fuel too. Like I stated before engines and the machines they run act as one. Just as one car is made of both an engine and its moving parts.

No. We understand it just fine. We just refuse to call it energy storage. It's a disagreement of terminology, not of concepts.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
No. We understand it just fine. We just refuse to call it energy storage. It's a disagreement of terminology, not of concepts.
You can refuse all you want. That which is true, is not controlled by consensus. Anyone with a fundamental understanding of energy knows that even a small twig is energy storage. This is not up for a vote.

I don't understand how anyone could agree with the concept but not believe it to be energy storage.

Last edited:

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
You can refuse all you want. That which is true, is not controlled by consensus. Anyone with a fundamental understanding of energy knows that even a small twig is energy storage. This is not up for a vote.

Again, it's a matter of terminology. I'd call it potential energy storage, but until it's in a more pure energy form (EU, MJ, RF, etc) then it's only potential energy and not energy itself.

That statement is also true, whether or not you'll admit it. But again, it's simply semantics.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
Again, it's a matter of terminology. I'd call it potential energy storage, but until it's in a more pure energy form (EU, MJ, RF, etc) then it's only potential energy and not energy itself.

That statement is also true, whether or not you'll admit it. But again, it's simply semantics.

But that's just it. Potential energy is just as much energy as electricity is. Energy can be defined as the the capacity for work. Even if you don't like that, you must remember that batteries themselves represent potential energy. So regardless of how, when you store energy for later use it becomes potential.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
But that's just it. Potential energy is just as much energy as electricity is. Energy can be defined as the the capacity for work. Even if you don't like that, you must remember that batteries themselves represent potential energy. So regardless of how, when you store energy for later use it becomes potential.

That I can somewhat agree with. But you must realize that most here, when we speak of energy storage, are speaking of pure energy. MJ, RF, EU, etc. Anything prior to that is just fuel. Yes, it does contain potential energy. But that's it. You'll not get everyone else to change their definitions to match yours as both definitions are equally valid.

When everything is energy which, according to the definition you're operating off of is true, then the definition gets muddied. I prefer the practical terminological separation of energy storage (RF, MJ, EU, etc) and fuel storage (oil, fuel, biofuel, coal, etc).

But we're heading deep into semantics and far from your initial point.

Back to the actual point here, BuildCraft does bank energy. It just does so in the form of fuel instead of in the form of energy itself.