Having trouble with opening the port

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Gerhard

Jul 29, 2019
I've been hosting a private server for my friends on my own PC. Things were going fine. I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 for a clean install after backing up my server. One of the things that came alongside this was the whole computer settings reset. I've tried to set things back up how they were, but so far, I've had no luck.

I have opened the port 25565 for both TCP and UDP on my router's settings and I have the proper IPv4 address typed in for these ports (the same address that ipconfig gives me when I use it through the command line in Windows).

I have opened the ports in Windows Firewall. The problem persists even if I entirely disable Windows Firewall.

I do not have any other firewall and no other computer protection program other than Windows Defender (which is basically just Microsoft Security Essentials bundled with Windows).

After starting the server, typing in 'localhost' as the server address makes it show up in my multiplayer server browser, but trying to connect via my actual IP does not work and none of my friends can connect.

Are there any other programs in Windows 8 that could be blocking my port, or is my router just being stupid? I highly doubt it's Windows Firewall as the problem persists even if the firewall is completely disabled.

EDIT: Also, using a port checker to check port 25565 says it's closed even though I have it open. This problem came up without any changes to the router being made between the upgrade from 7 to 8.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Win8 is know that give problems for some members (both client and server side), what kind of router do you have? (i know here in the netherlands that there are always problems with Thomson and Experiabox routers from KPN (Telco).

Gerhard

Jul 29, 2019
My router is a Motorola (not sure what the exact model is) but no router settings were changed between the time I transitioned from Win7 to Win8, and the server worked fine on Win7.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
"Upgrading" to Windows 8 from 7, in no way preserves your programs or settings. Check the bottom of your modem/router, it should have the model #.

micahdg

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't messed with windows 8 yet but I'd try resetting the computer and also hard resetting the router just in case. I know you said you made no changes to the router but if nothing else fixes it, you have to start trying things that SHOULD'T fix it.