Having trouble figuring out the new itemducts.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty much coming from 1.6.4 packs to 1.7.10 packs, and while I know very well how to use Thermal Expansion ducts, I can't seem to wrap my head around the new Thermal Dynamics ones. Even trying to automate a pulverizer's input proved impossible. All my wrench did was disconnect and reconnect the end, and a servo did nothing. There's no marks on the ends to indicate if it's accepting or inserting items. Is there some other item I need? I had to use XU to get ore out of a chest and into a pulverizer, as they still don't pull from adjacent chests. A search around the wiki showed that I need enderium nuggets just to make an itemduct pull items. Isn't there an easier way to use these things?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
There are new Servos, which look like the old arrow connector your used to. The H shaped Pneaumatic servos are now only for crafting. There are also filter's and retrievers. Filters are exactly what they say, Retrievers will pull from inventories on the other end of ducts. There should be multiple tiers of servos, with higher level ones pulling faster, and having additional options.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I'm gonna need eyes of ender if I want any kind of itemduct system...
Do fluiducts also require these upgrades?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
What? You shouldn't need to use Enderium servos. Can you post a screen shot of the ducts you're seeing?

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Screenshot_2016-07-03-17-18-11.png
Screenshot_2016-07-03-17-18-11.png

These are the recipes on the wiki, but NEI said otherwise. More fitting nuggets than enderium, like iron and invar. Higher tiers did need hardened glass if I remember correctly, though. The only accurate part was the eyes of ender.
Will I need stuff like this for fluiducts, too?

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Recipes may, and have, change(d) between modpacks. With the introduction of minetweaker/modtweaker, the wiki's are not 100% reliable any more. Not the fault of anyone but the pack creators who give their pack a personalized feel. FTB Infinity Evolved: Expert Mode is one prime example.

Retrievers pull items from the piping network to the container they are connected to.
Servos pull from the container they are attached to into the piping network
Filters do as the name says, they filter items as in restricting what may pass through it based on what you set the filter to.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll have to monkey with it later. I'm playing SkyFactory 2.5, and I'm just getting machines up and I wanted to automate ore processing. Most Ex Nihilo dust blocks work in a pulverizer like normal ore. I'm not at my comp atm.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Trust NEI, since it's by it's nature more up to date than a wiki.

When all is said and done, I still find Vanilla hoppers to be a perfectly acceptable way to dump in items. It's not the best, but it will work for anything you need to stick items into.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Wow... it's kinda funny to see someone reffer to TD ducts as new.

Chances are OP is getting the pneumatic servo used to craft with the one you attach to the pipe ends.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Trust NEI, since it's by it's nature more up to date than a wiki.

When all is said and done, I still find Vanilla hoppers to be a perfectly acceptable way to dump in items. It's not the best, but it will work for anything you need to stick items into.

While I personally start with Vanilla Hoppers for automation, they are coded horrifically (perhaps necessarily so because they can insert/remove items from chestcarts, moving on rails above/below them). Deploying them in bulk will cause tps issues with your world, so, once on hopper solutions are available, they should be retired.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Technically, I prefer to use them only until I get enough ender pearls to run EnderIO conduits, but they're fantastic for early automation.

And all of mine get converted into railcraft loaders/unloaders of some kind after a while.

If you have Buildcraft, they've got a chute that works fantastically, though I don't know if it can pull from a chest.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm actually a big fan of the itemducts these days, and find they almost rival ender IO in some scenarios for usefulness (nothing can quite beat EIO for all around silly degrees of usefulness)

The retriever in particular is extremely useful for my complicated nuclear fuel processing in NuclearCraft. I love being able to say "look, just keep a bunch of U-238 in this crafter at all times. 128 U-238 in fact. I don't care where you get it from."

Does EIO even have a retriever-like mechanic?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually a big fan of the itemducts these days, and find they almost rival ender IO in some scenarios for usefulness (nothing can quite beat EIO for all around silly degrees of usefulness)

The retriever in particular is extremely useful for my complicated nuclear fuel processing in NuclearCraft. I love being able to say "look, just keep a bunch of U-238 in this crafter at all times. 128 U-238 in fact. I don't care where you get it from."

Does EIO even have a retriever-like mechanic?

EIO pipes can be configured for input and output and don't put items "in flight" unless there is a destination, so you would just choose a unique color, get a pipe to output an item (u-238) on that color, and on the other side get a pipe to insert that item. As long as the destination inventory has space for the u238 it will be sent. You can't (afaik) set a limit so this won't work if the destination has more inventory slots you DON'T want filled with uranium.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Something tells me EIO stuff will be far easier than TD.
Btw, I was so slow to make the switch because I didn't want Java 8 and with that the inability to play older packs without that Java fixer.