Having issues undertsanding Recators Mod

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Legondz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so i made 6x6x6 Reactor and it was producing 8000F/T
and now i made a turbine and it is only out putting.

1800RPM
3000FT/T
100%

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Not 100% on this because I don't tend to use Bigreactors turbines, but I think those numbers mean that your turbine is running at 100% capacity, it can't take any more steam from your reactor.

Add another turbine or two if you have excess steam.

Legondz

Jul 29, 2019
Not 100% on this because I don't tend to use Bigreactors turbines, but I think those numbers mean that your turbine is running at 100% capacity, it can't take any more steam from your reactor.

ok i will give that a go.
Thanks

Add another turbine or two if you have excess steam.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
Some detailed Information about Your Setup of Your coolant and Your rods and Your Turbine and How much steam you Are getting

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It is slightly more complex than just slapping a Turbine on a previous passive Reactor. But since you supplied absolutely no information on your setup I will give you a simple example of something that I know works:

For a reactor you REALLY don't want to go overboard and build something crazy big when you are using turbines. It is not needed. Something like this is usually plenty to get you started:
http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...ontrolRodInsertion=13&layout=O2COC2X2C2XCO2CO

This will support 3 turbines of 70 Blades, 4 full Coils of Enderium Blocks(32 blocks), using 1732mB/t of steam each @1800RPM.

At default configs this should net you over 60k RF/t.

(You can use this to look up other stable turbine configurations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TUxOUGxMRlpERWtPMmtGT213bmc&usp=sharing#gid=1)

If you do reactors as large as 6x6 footprint for turbines you end up with something like this:
http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...dInsertion=63&layout=O4COC4X2C4X2C4X2C4XCO4CO
Which needs 6 of the turbines mentioned above to run efficiently. That is great if you really need that much power, but few people do.

Last edited:

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it is hard to know what is going on without more information.

I'm assuming the 100% means you have 100% efficiency (i.e. your turbine has enough blades to support the steam you are giving it).

Did you add coolant ports to your reactor or are you using a different steam source for your turbine?

How are you getting steam into your turbine? Are the reactor and turbine right next to each other with coolant ports touching, or are you using some kind of fluid transport between them? Most fluid transport pipes/ducts/conduits have limited throughput which can limit how much steam gets to your turbine. Check your reactor. If the steam buffer is full and the reactor is running extremely hot, then you're not getting steam out of the reactor quickly enough.

I will assume that your reactor produces at least 2000 steam per tick. Each blade allows your turbine to consume 25 steam per tick without loss, so you need 80 blades to use the maximum 2000 steam per tick without efficiency loss. You then want coil blocks, however many it takes to run at around 1800 RPM (I prefer to put the minimum for it to run at less than 1800 RPM, then use ComputerCraft to toggle induction so it runs at 1800 RPM). For ludicrite (the best material), you need 32 blocks. Next best is enderium, which I believe needs 37 blocks.

The size of reactor that you need depends on how much power you need and whether you want the power while it's still passively cooled or if you can do with less power until you reach the point of making turbines. I have a 13x13x6 (interior) with 21 control rods. It was enough to run a Speed III ender quarry while passively cooled, and produces about 48000 mb/tick steam when actively cooled and with control rods out. Note that I had the reactor planned before the ender quarry's power drain with Speed III was reduced - the original plan was to use Speed II while passively cooled and upgrade to Speed III once I had around a dozen turbines. There is no point in making an even bigger reactor since actively cooled reactors cap out at 50000 mb/tick. Sure, you can make an enormous passively cooled reactor but it's going to be inefficient.

Of course, you don't really need a very large reactor unless you're building it for the heck of it and have the resources (I had a bunch of resources from the Ender Quarry running without Speed before making the reactor) or if you have a mod which eats up a crapton of RF.

For example, a Speed III Ender Quarry eats up about 20k to 30k RF per tick. There are few things that use more than this. Adding Fortune to your Ender Quarry will raise the power drain way up but is considered not to be worth it. Building a whole bunch of ender quarries with Speed III will also gobble up power. Another thing that could eat a lot of power is RFTools dimensions. Something simple doesn't use a lot, but if you want a world made from diamond blocks or something, expect to require north of 100k RF per tick.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it is hard to know what is going on without more information.

I'm assuming the 100% means you have 100% efficiency (i.e. your turbine has enough blades to support the steam you are giving it).

Did you add coolant ports to your reactor or are you using a different steam source for your turbine?

How are you getting steam into your turbine? Are the reactor and turbine right next to each other with coolant ports touching, or are you using some kind of fluid transport between them? Most fluid transport pipes/ducts/conduits have limited throughput which can limit how much steam gets to your turbine. Check your reactor. If the steam buffer is full and the reactor is running extremely hot, then you're not getting steam out of the reactor quickly enough.

I will assume that your reactor produces at least 2000 steam per tick. Each blade allows your turbine to consume 25 steam per tick without loss, so you need 80 blades to use the maximum 2000 steam per tick without efficiency loss. You then want coil blocks, however many it takes to run at around 1800 RPM (I prefer to put the minimum for it to run at less than 1800 RPM, then use ComputerCraft to toggle induction so it runs at 1800 RPM). For ludicrite (the best material), you need 32 blocks. Next best is enderium, which I believe needs 37 blocks.

The size of reactor that you need depends on how much power you need and whether you want the power while it's still passively cooled or if you can do with less power until you reach the point of making turbines. I have a 13x13x6 (interior) with 21 control rods. It was enough to run a Speed III ender quarry while passively cooled, and produces about 48000 mb/tick steam when actively cooled and with control rods out. Note that I had the reactor planned before the ender quarry's power drain with Speed III was reduced - the original plan was to use Speed II while passively cooled and upgrade to Speed III once I had around a dozen turbines. There is no point in making an even bigger reactor since actively cooled reactors cap out at 50000 mb/tick. Sure, you can make an enormous passively cooled reactor but it's going to be inefficient.

Of course, you don't really need a very large reactor unless you're building it for the heck of it and have the resources (I had a bunch of resources from the Ender Quarry running without Speed before making the reactor) or if you have a mod which eats up a crapton of RF.

For example, a Speed III Ender Quarry eats up about 20k to 30k RF per tick. There are few things that use more than this. Adding Fortune to your Ender Quarry will raise the power drain way up but is considered not to be worth it. Building a whole bunch of ender quarries with Speed III will also gobble up power. Another thing that could eat a lot of power is RFTools dimensions. Something simple doesn't use a lot, but if you want a world made from diamond blocks or something, expect to require north of 100k RF per tick.
Hey so if I switch from enderium to ludcrite will that increase my RF per tick then? I am pushing 3 turbines right now all at 1800 RPM around 20k RF per tick and on a closed loop system. My reactor is at 700 - 1k cooling and so much MB per tick that I could add like another 5 turbine probably and be ok :)

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Hey so if I switch from enderium to ludcrite will that increase my RF per tick then? I am pushing 3 turbines right now all at 1800 RPM around 20k RF per tick and on a closed loop system. My reactor is at 700 - 1k cooling and so much MB per tick that I could add like another 5 turbine probably and be ok :)

Yup, you should get roughly an 8k RF/t gain per turbine with the switch.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
But you need less ludricrite as enderium otherwise if you have to many Metall block Your Turbine wont keep up

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
But you need less ludricrite as enderium otherwise if you have to many Metall block Your Turbine wont keep up
Eh, I've found that a 32 block ludicrite coil can take a full 80 blade turbine and run it easily in the top butter zone just fine. In fact, I've found less puts it into the overload area.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Eh, I've found that a 32 block ludicrite coil can take a full 80 blade turbine and run it easily in the top butter zone just fine. In fact, I've found less puts it into the overload area.
Then what he is saying is also correct. If you have a turbine with 32 Enderium blocks it would only require 70 Blades... Or if heis using the 2000mB/t Enderium Turbine he would be using 37 Coil blocks. With Ludicrite he only need 32.
So if you do an even swap of coil blocks without changing the rest you would have to reduce the coil blocks to compensate.

Bottom line is: All coil materials have different Coil/Blade balance. You cannot simply swap a material out and use the same configuration.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
ls have different Coil/Blade balance. You cannot simply swap a material out and use the same configuration.
Well, you can; it might not be perfect efficiency, though. :p
And if you're using default configs, efficiency has no meaning XD

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, you can; it might not be perfect efficiency, though. :p
And if you're using default configs, efficiency has no meaning XD
Well seeing as moving 100-200ish RPM outside 900 or 1800 will 1/2 or 1/3 your power output I would disagree.
This is the single most important optimization you can should do in the BR mod. Screw your if your reactor is running at an efficiency of 0.01mB/t more or less. It matters a LOT if you only get half the power out of your turbines due to running the wrong RPM!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Well seeing as moving 100-200ish RPM outside 900 or 1800 will 1/2 or 1/3 your power output I would disagree.
This is the single most important optimization you can should do in the BR mod. Screw your if your reactor is running at an efficiency of 0.01mB/t more or less. It matters a LOT if you only get half the power out of your turbines due to running the wrong RPM!
Yeah, but with un-nerfed power production and fuel consumption, you can just dump in more yellorium or wait another tick for the missing 10,000 RF.
It's important to nerf the configs regardless; it's just a giant infinite-power-producer without some actual efficiency requirements.