Has anyone ever seen a naturally-spawned Blizz?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
LOL. Ok, I *am* too conservative in my exploration. I guess I have some time of flying around before me.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Out of curiosity: how big are your worlds? I usually give up at a distance of about 1500 blocks from my base, since then my world gets bigger than half a GB bit for little gain, and you don't cover that distance all that fast even with creative flight. Also, at that distance you've likely reached the border of your continent at least in one direction. Am I too conservative?

This is my way of saying, of course, that I don't have an appropriate biome in my current world up to 1500 blocks from my base. I have a few patches of snow-covered mountain area, but that's all. No snow blocks at all. Neither are there deserts. Just a lot of different forest-type biomes interspersed with swamp, plains and some mountainous areas.
I suppose my world is not really good for comparisons as I deliberately changed ATG settings to give me larger connected biome patches for more uniform building areas. This means that I have to travel even further to get variation with having both BoP and Highlands biomes. But I dont really mind tbh.

This is a map of my current discovered world:
SsIr9YU.jpg
There is about 1000 blocks from my base up to the Taiga(snow covered forest) up north where Blizz do spawn.

But this is what I like about ATG. Even with so many Biomes it gives you a range pick from each temperate zone in relative close proximity. I might not have a Desert, but then I have Dunes for example. Or maybe not a Jungle, but then a Tropical Rainforest.
And they are all layed out so that I can always start travelling in a given direction(and be clever about it) to get to new temperate zones that I prefer. If you look at the map above you can see that my base is in a temperate zone. Just south of it is a tropical/arid band. So to find an arctic area I obviously needed to go north. And it was there!

Oh and creative flight only gives you the style of flight. It is your walking speed that determines your flight speed for most flying styles. Make sure to have a pair of Haste enchanted boots or Boots of the Traveller on when flying around. And if you use something like GraviSuite, make sure to press the Boost key :p Zoom, Zoom!

EDIT: oh and when going to measure the distance to that Taiga and writing this, going back to the game the first thing I noticed was these:
kUngNRn.png

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
On the mod front, you could pick a biome that you know Blizz are allowed to spawn in, then create a Mystcraft/RFTools dimension with the single biome and always night. You should see them pop up pretty quick.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You could try Amidst if you're desperate.
I don't know what "Amidst" is. Please clarify.

No, I'm not really desperate. Finding a Blizz would be convenient, nothing more. A trip to the Nether and telling my digital miner to clear 16 chunks of Nether Redstone Ore will be more than adequate as well. I'm just curious since I've never seen a Blizz "in the wild".

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what "Amidst" is. Please clarify.

No, I'm not really desperate. Finding a Blizz would be convenient, nothing more. A trip to the Nether and telling my digital miner to clear 16 chunks of Nether Redstone Ore will be more than adequate as well. I'm just curious since I've never seen a Blizz "in the wild".

It's a standalone program that you can pump a seed (or save) into and it'll pop up a map. Only really works for vanilla, so BoP biomes won't show up. Can be handy though.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...7-amidst-strongholds-village-biome-etc-finder

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
i was living in a mega taiga and found more blizzes then any other hostile mob, it was crazy

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Me personally I see them about the same as spider jockeys here and there but only when I'm in a snow biome.

Wackra

Jul 29, 2019
The don't spawn on snow cover (no mobs will) so you have to clear / dig a spawn area.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In my first Pathfinder world, I turned off peaceful mode, went to my first created dimension, and ended up getting punked by more blizzes than I knew what to do with.

It was some sort of arctic biome fwiw.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
In my first Pathfinder world, I turned off peaceful mode, went to my first created dimension, and ended up getting punked by more blizzes than I knew what to do with.

It was some sort of arctic biome fwiw.
Spawn in some Blazes and watch them fight each other!
(Unless they gang up on you of course :p)

Funky Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
Where I build my tower in the Tour My Base thread I get the all the time if I leave any part of that tower unlit.

Direwolf20 1.7 modpack

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Find an arctic biome. Fill a drawbridge full of torches. Place drawbridge on a flat, snow covered surface. Apply redstone signal to drawbridge. Remove redstone signal. Wait for darkness. Voila, Blizz!

@Wackra is correct. They need cold biomes, but cannot spawn on snow cover. A small dark room under that snow works quite well though.

Linkero

Jul 29, 2019
Two words: Agrarian Skies. First time I've ever seen one, and t'was the last(kinda). Everyone has already covered how to find one, so I will spare you that detail! Fortunately for me, Frosty the snow guy gives me enough snowballs to get injected with the lovely red stuff. IF you happen to stumble upon a blizz, cherish the moment as it may be your last!