Has anyone ever seen a naturally-spawned Blizz?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
...because I've not. As far as I can determine, they don't exist naturally. In fact, I've seen only ever one and that was spawned, if I recall things correctly, from a spawn egg I cheated in. Once, I made a Mystcraft ice age in order to get one, but with no success. Later I I heard they can be disabled in the config and checked that, I don't recall what I found but I did everything to make it possible that one spawns.

Nothing. Now in my 1.7 world I would save myself a lot of redstone if I could get one in a soul vial but they remain strictly legendary. How the heck do you find these things?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I saw one but I don't remember it was a snowy place, however the pack screws with world gen a lot(and I mean a lot) and he was above void, so he might have spawned somewhere that had the good biome but I was unable to check it because there where no blocks there.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I see them sometimes in mines of snow biomes, and rarely up top. But I avoid snow biomes

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Having JourneyMap installed, with mobs showing, is a good way to find them ... if you don't think it's a bit cheaty (I don't btw).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Having JourneyMap installed, with mobs showing, is a good way to find them ... if you don't think it's a bit cheaty (I don't btw).
I do use the radar. It is of limited utility though, since I've never seen a Blizz and don't know how they look. Anyway, in my current world the problem is more a lack of ice and snow biomes. I don't like snow biomes, so that's usually very much ok, but the two snow-covered mountain areas within 1500 blocks of my base are perhaps not enough for Blizzes.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Very few.

Although wierdly it was in a snowy forest biome.

If I need blizz powder I just use snowballs and redstone.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I do use the radar. It is of limited utility though, since I've never seen a Blizz and don't know how they look. Anyway, in my current world the problem is more a lack of ice and snow biomes. I don't like snow biomes, so that's usually very much ok, but the two snow-covered mountain areas within 1500 blocks of my base are perhaps not enough for Blizzes.

They look like blue blazes.

Also, when I have seen them, they're often underground somewhere so I had to dig towards them.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
They spawn naturally near my base in my Infinity 1.4.0 server. A maple woods meets a crag, and when it gets dark they pop up here and there. I actually had to redesign my underground mob farm due to them being natural enemies of blaze - they kept covering my cursed earth in fire and snow.

I've also seen them in the Frozen Forest biomes having snowball fights with naturally spawned snowmen. Shame the snowmen always lose, but they make a wonderful distraction for a player to sweep in and clean out the Blizz. Who doesn't like being the hero?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The more and more I read this thread the less of an idea I have where that blizz came from.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
That^^

They need a top layer of snow blocks, not just a covering of snow... Ice blocks won't spawn them either
I see. That's an arctic biome or whatever they're called. No wonder I've never seen a Blizz since I haven't ever seen an arctic biome either.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just go to the twilight forest and find where the yeti is. Since there is plenty of snow around, they should spawn frequently.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Maybe it is because I am using ATG, but I never have any issues finding any Blizz by the time I need Cryotheum. I just fly out exploring and when I get an idea of the temperate zones directions I start going towards the colder areas. When I find a snowy biome I just stick around at night(if I need to, sometimes I find one underground at day) with Zan's mob radar on and minimap zoomed full out. Eventually I find one above or below ground. I find my way to it and Safari net its ass and head back home.

Important part to remember is that they only spawn if you load the chunks. So just flying back and forth quickly looking might not net you anything. Just find a proper biome and stick around for a bit.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Maybe it is because I am using ATG, but I never have any issues finding any Blizz by the time I need Cryotheum. I just fly out exploring and when I get an idea of the temperate zones directions I start going towards the colder areas. When I find a snowy biome I just stick around at night(if I need to, sometimes I find one underground at day) with Zan's mob radar on and minimap zoomed full out. Eventually I find one above or below ground. I find my way to it and Safari net its ass and head back home.

Important part to remember is that they only spawn if you load the chunks. So just flying back and forth quickly looking might not net you anything. Just find a proper biome and stick around for a bit.
Out of curiosity: how big are your worlds? I usually give up at a distance of about 1500 blocks from my base, since then my world gets bigger than half a GB bit for little gain, and you don't cover that distance all that fast even with creative flight. Also, at that distance you've likely reached the border of your continent at least in one direction. Am I too conservative?

This is my way of saying, of course, that I don't have an appropriate biome in my current world up to 1500 blocks from my base. I have a few patches of snow-covered mountain area, but that's all. No snow blocks at all. Neither are there deserts. Just a lot of different forest-type biomes interspersed with swamp, plains and some mountainous areas.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My base is over 2k from world spawn. I'm pretty sure I've explored 5k in most directions (looking for a goddam desert). If you have a mod like Biomes o' Plenty, 1500 won't see half the biomes on the list, and might not even get you into the right temperate zone.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Out of curiosity: how big are your worlds? I usually give up at a distance of about 1500 blocks from my base, since then my world gets bigger than half a GB bit for little gain, and you don't cover that distance all that fast even with creative flight. Also, at that distance you've likely reached the border of your continent at least in one direction. Am I too conservative?

This is my way of saying, of course, that I don't have an appropriate biome in my current world up to 1500 blocks from my base. I have a few patches of snow-covered mountain area, but that's all. No snow blocks at all. Neither are there deserts. Just a lot of different forest-type biomes interspersed with swamp, plains and some mountainous areas.

One thing I sometimes do is just to travel a long way in the nether (i.e. 2000 blocks or so) and then make a portal back to the overworld. Since nether coordinates translate to overworld/8 you end up about 16000 blocks from where you started in the overworld. That gives good opportunities for discovering new areas :)

Reactions: Inaeo and rhn