Hard to Find Minerals.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zanesin666

Jul 29, 2019
I have had so much trouble finding materials on FTB, not knowing where and how they are made, I thought a thread where people can post recipes they've had trouble with or tricky to find or make ores or whatever- would be a good idea. (you get my gist if my post is a bit vague)

For me, I really don't know where to find Bauxite Ore, I've never come across it, I'm trying to make a matter fabricator and i need it to make titanium i think....

so

Bauxite Ore
Aluminium
Chrome
Titanium

Where do these come from?

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
According to the IC2 wiki...
Bauxite spawns in Forests and Plains biomes, in large amounts. Bauxite is used to get Aluminium and Titanium with an Industrial Electrolyzer.
Sometime later...
You can acquire one Chrome dust by centrifuging 9 Ruby dust.

I don't use gregtech though, so if someone who does can confirm?

Edit: Also, it seems you can get titanium from centrifuging bauxite dust.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
exactly
if you always stay in one spot you wont find all ressources
and since its xxl biomes, you have to move a tad further

if you have found your dense ore ages in mysthcraft ressources on that level shouldnt be a problem anymore

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
also i believe you can get chrome from cetrifuging redstone...

Sorta. 64 redstone makes 4 ruby dust. You need 9 ruby dust to make 1 chrome. Both from centrifuging. It's a very long, and very high cost way to get it.

Rikki, your info is correct, though our version is a little different. Bauxite is found in plains and forests. You then centrifuge the bauxite dust ( because we don't have the electrolyzer yet. ) to get a fair bit of aluminum, and 1 titanium. Chrome comes from centrifuging Ruby dust.

zanesin666

Jul 29, 2019
"Bauxite spawns in Forests and Plains biomes, in large amounts. Bauxite is used to get Aluminium and Titanium with an Industrial Electrolyzer."

Can I just ask, when it says plains and forests, by that does it mean only the PLAINS or FOREST biome or can it be redwood or spruce or etcetc forest? or a different type of plains.
i've been flying for km's now and not found a basic vanilla forest or plains

Sinnaj63

Jul 29, 2019
"Bauxite spawns in Forests and Plains biomes, in large amounts. Bauxite is used to get Aluminium and Titanium with an Industrial Electrolyzer."

Can I just ask, when it says plains and forests, by that does it mean only the PLAINS or FOREST biome or can it be redwood or spruce or etcetc forest? or a different type of plains.
i've been flying for km's now and not found a basic vanilla forest or plains
It should spawn in ExtrabiomesXl´s biomes ,too.
Like rubys can be found in the savanna!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
funny fact
diamonds are more rare than rubys and saphs =)
Actually no, rubies and sapphires are much rarer. First of all you only find rubies in hot biomes, and sapphires in water biomes. (Mushroom island is both by the way). And second of all... well, when I come back from a dense world digg, I tend to come back with a stack of rubies and sapphires each, and over 3 stacks of diamonds.

On the other hand, that info might be slightly skewed by the fact that those two appear above diamond level and I only dig on that level.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
well densing a world is no skill tbh ;-)
but cause the biomes are so large, it is not hard to find sapphs and rubys

when I dig up 4 chunks I get about 3-5 diamonds
but on other hand getting about 10 sapphs/rubys

maybe thats the compensation for only spawning in one world

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019

I rather like to think it's got to do with height. Sapphires and Rubies can spawn higher up, not just at diamond level, and since I'm only digging at diamond level.... However, you still need to take into account that both only spawn in specific biomes. Which would, on the whole, definitively make them rarer.

Also, you're making it fairly obvious that you haven't been to a dense world yet :p.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019

That sounds like you are incredibly unlucky then...you should be getting a fair bit more diamonds than that. Heck, a single vein usually gets me at least that much, if not more.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
...when I come back from a dense world digg, I tend to come back with a stack of rubies and sapphires each, and over 3 stacks of diamonds. ...
That's skewed at the very least by Dense Ores removing spawn limitations such as 1 vein per chunk. This winds up boosting diamond frequency considerably.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Sorta. 24 redstone makes 1 ruby dust. You need 9 ruby dust to make 1 chrome. Both from centrifuging. It's a very long, and very high cost way to get it.

Rikki, your info is correct, though our version is a little different. Bauxite is found in plains and forests. You then centrifuge the bauxite dust ( because we don't have the electrolyzer yet. ) to get a fair bit of aluminum, and 1 titanium. Chrome comes from centrifuging Ruby dust.

Just wanted to correct my old post. It's 64 redstone and it makes 4 ruby dust. Was thinking of another recipe. It's still pretty horrible. For example, you need 20 chrome for a lightning rod. That's 180 ruby dust, and 250 seconds for each centrifuging operation. That's 1 hour 24 mins centrifuging this step alone. To get the 180 ruby dust, you need to run 2,880 redstone (!) which is 45 operations at 1,100 seconds each. That's 13 hours 45 mins. Ouch.

Sure, it's doable. However, 45 stacks of redstone is a lot. A whole lot. It's really just to help add to the rubies you naturally collect.

Tesmetron

Jul 29, 2019
Do accelerated mystcraft ages affect machine speeds at all? I think I read somewhere that they only affected a few things like plant growth.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
A complete miners geology guide to FTB would have been nice to have. but what happens with the redpower gems when they get added? I think i saw someplace that eloraam was planning on renaming hers to prevent resource overflow?

Edited to add: I can confirm that bauxite also exists in jungle biomes. I'm sitting right on top of a vein in my current world in the middle of a big jungle. guess i wont be short on bauxite dust o_O

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Is it a vanilla jungle biome or one of the extrabiomes jungles?
seems like a vanilla jungle this time. the biomes next to it is forested island, and ocean. there is no bauxite under the ocean parts of my abandoned mine. it doesn't seem to go under the forested island, or that part is still blocked off. going to put a quarry down on the forested Island biome when i get that far. will report back on what i find there.

ETA: Gonna take a while before i have a quarry going... It's a fresh start with modified configs for making TC balanced with gregtech altered IC. (diamonds needed for all the ore doubling stuff).