Hamachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxbenn

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I want to create a hamachi server, but I don't know anything about it. I want to know if the server is stored on their network or on my network. Please tell me!

FranFranz

Jul 29, 2019
Hamachi isn't a server. It is a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Hamachi allows you to estabilish a network that works as a LAN, but over the internet. You can create a net in which you can invite your friends and then you can connect each other as if you were in a LAN network.
The actual minecraft server will be stored on one of the computer of the net.
To connect to the server you have to use the "direct connection" button in minecraft and manually put in the ip that hamachi assign to the computer that runs the minecraft server (the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx number that will appear next to the pc that you know hosts the server in the blue window of hamachi).
Hamachi offer limited connection speeds and a limited number of PCs per net (5) for free. If you need more than 5 slots or more speed you have to pay. Vanilla Minecraft goes great with 5 players and free hamachi. I never tried to make a FTB server.

I hope that it was clear!

Reactions: frederikam

FranFranz

Jul 29, 2019
You host the minecraft server on one of your computers; Hamachi is a little client to be installed on the computer of whoever wants to play in your server.
I don't know if the hamachi client is actually a server or if it relies to the Hamachi company, but it requires so little performance that you can forget about it.

The fact is that you can use the same Hamachi client to both create a network and participate to a friend's one. Moreover you can manage the network by logging into the hamachi website..

I believe that you could find more information on the website :) (https://secure.logmein.com/us)

FranFranz

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing:
Hamachi is needed only if you have a dynamic IP: when you connect to the internet, your provider assigns to your pc an IP address (another number in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) which typically varies over time. In order to play Minecraft with your friends, however, you have to use static ip addresses otherwise you coudn't reach the other players. Just imagine to send a mail to a person whose address changes every hour. It's impossible unless there's someone who tells you where is gone your friend. If your ip address never changed you could just tell that ip address to your friends to play together.
Hamachi keeps track of your dynamic ip address and assigns you a "label" (the hamachi virtual ip address) and tells this address to the other PCs participating to the net.

Maxxbenn

Jul 29, 2019
Here is what I am asking. I want to create a server using hamachi. is the server stored on my internet service, or do I get to use
their server space?

FranFranz

Jul 29, 2019
As I already told you: the Minecraft server is hosted by you.
I don't know if the Hamachi service (separated from Minecraft) will be hosted by your computer or not. Try to search on their website, or ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.