Gun powder generator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
I've never mined/quarried a single nitor or sulphur :( but this machine makes up for it. Feed it wood and Netherack and watch gun powder appear.
2012-11-22_15-28-04-png.261

2012-11-22_15-28-20-png.262

The design is a bit of mess as I put it together on the fly.

There's also an additional step in there to help me to make sulphuric acid, but ignore that.

1. Put wood into furnace and turn into charcoal
2. Put charcoal in supply chest of autocrafter A
3. Put netherack in pulverisor A making cobblestone and 20% sulpher chance
4. Main output (cobblestone) into pulverisor B
5. Secondly (sulphor) output into supply chest of autocrafter A
6. Take main output of pulverisor B (sand) and place in auto craft supply chest B
7. Take secondry output of pulverisor B (gravel) and store (for now, have plans)
8. Autocraft sand into sandstone
9. Pulverise sandstone (Pulveriser C) into 2 sand main output, and 20% chance of nitor as secondry
10. Feed sand from Pulveriser C into auto craft supply chest B
11. Put nitor into supply chest of autocrafter A
12. autocrafter A makes gun powder

Not yet built addition: Take the waste gravel and put it into a factorisation grinder to make more sand to be fed into auto craft supply chest B

From time to time, you may want to supply more sand manually to balance out production of nitor to sulphur.

Improvements, suggestion and questions welcome.

Attachments

• 2012-11-22_15.28.04.png
    629.3 KB · Views: 595
  • 2012-11-22_15.28.20.png
    583.5 KB · Views: 601
Reactions: samjpclarke

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The question I have is this:

Why are you producing gunpowder?

And yes, I am fully serious about asking that. I've previously looked at the recipes, but I have no clue why you would need gunpowder aside from fabricating TNT (which is a temporary gimmick, not a useful feature). I am probably missing something here, so please enlighten me? ;)

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
I needed to make sulphuric acid, which requires gunpowder, sure it now generates way more gunpowder than I could realistically use, although TNT can be very good for terraforming projects, but thats not the point, the point is to make machines with all this stuff.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Acid, acid... *thinks*

Oh! Factorization, right? I haven't touched that at all yet. Too much else to try out, and too little time :p

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Sulfur only generates in extreme hills, it's everywhere hehe. It's the biome of choice for my mining ages. Nice machine though! Gravel as a byproduct can go straight into a rock crusher too if you can afford it. That's what I did with all of mine. Having said that I got lots of gold nuggets and not a single diamond though, it's gonna take thousands of gravel to pay itself back so I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Omnicrom, I'm guessing he wants thousands of gunpowder to be able to effectively use the implosion compressor, comsodering it's 8 itnt per iridium plate, and 4 itnt per 3 TNT, 5 gunpowder per TNT, so 30 gunpowder per plate?

Yes, at 30 gunpowder per plate, a gunpowder machine is essential. Most turn to creeper soul shard/mfr spawned though.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Not necessarily just iridium plates; you also need large amounts of industrial TNT to turn gem dusts from bees into anything useful.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, with GregTech the main use for the Ruby dust is chrome, and diamonds are trivial with EE + soul shards.
So I see no reason to ever want to use these. ESP as the iridium plate uses diamond dust anyways...

Diamonds take like 40 itnt, though, don't they?

So 150 gunpowder?

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
32 iTNT for diamonds. Probably 24 for all the other gems.

I gather most things are "trivial" with EE, but that isn't in all packs.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using hard mode gregtech, you certainly aren't going to be using completely overpowered mods like EE or soulshards also, your calculations should take into account that you can get 5 ITNT from 3TNT if you use flint dust, and you can use only 4 gunpowder per TNT if you use an assembly machine

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, you are aware, that the original post is ~half a year old? Back then no implosion compressor existed.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
okay, that explains a bit (I should look on the dates of postings).

the only thing I currently don't agree with: with gregtech, sulfur is more or less trivial. pyrite ore, sphallerite ore, cinnabar ore and centrifuging netherrack dust give sulfur. even centrifuging redstone dust gives tons of pyrite. and electrolyzing those dusts gives tons of sulfur.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
yes, but you also need tons more of it. the saltpeter is where the bottleneck is. especially if you want to use it for fertilizer as well

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Does anybody understand what causes saltpeter?
I know there's saltpeter spawners, and that they look like bedrock, but that's all I know about that.
Saltpeter spawners cause sand blocks above sandstone(I think it's two layers of sandstone specifically) to turn into saltpeter ore blocks.
Someone made a cool automated saltpeter spawner using this mechanic, by using pistons to push sand blocks over a line which could turn into saltpeter with block breakers on the end, filtering sand back and saltpeter out.

Reactions: dgdas9