Guide to Imprisoning Monsters Serverwide

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, Teslaterror here, and I am to be showing you a little bit of lithomancy, or stone magic, in order to imprison all the evil mobs on a server. Now whether you want to this to do prevent mobs from spawning or technically grief an entire server. This is useful if you are playing Singleplayer or on a Factions server that relies on mob spawner grinders to starve them of any tactical advantage.

Now to explain the origin of this structure and my history with it, in the land of Zendikar in the Multiverse of Magic (The Gathering), there exist these massive double-sided pyramids known as Hedrons that keep an evil race of extradimensional monster known as the eldrazi imprisoned within them. Inspired by this idea, I built a massive Hedron in the middle of the Desert that trapped all the monsters across the server, effectively rendering Mob Spawners and Grinders inert, while attracting every enderman on the server for some strange reason. This structure to me many hours and days to build but if you have help and enough silk touch diamond picks, you can build this magnificent marvel of magical power.

How to start building this structure requires some knowledge of Server’s Leylines and the proper location to build it. Every server has a series of lines extending out from their point of origin (XZ: 0,0) off into each direction, but the most powerful place to put it is on the Southeastern Leyline at points of power (Every +1000 X +1000 Z). Once you have acquired the necessary materials (Roughly about 20 Double Chests worth of Stone, or 68 thousand blocks of stone).

It must be at least 151 Meters (Blocks) high in order to function properly, start by building a pillar then begin the inverted pyramid up to midway point at the 76th meter (Block) then begin forming the topside pyramid shape. As you progress you will noticed that mobs will begin spawning inside it, then once you are finished, all the mobs on the server will be trapped inside your hedron as long its loaded. During the Daytime, this will allow players to mine underground without the chance of encountering any monsters and at night, Monsters will not spawn for they will be imprisoned in the hollow hedron.

I forewarn you, there is consequences associated with building this structure for you shall become both the savior and destroyer of servers. On faction servers, you will dominate others by crippling them of needed resources (Enderpearls, Bones, Arrows, String, and Gunpowder) that they extract from monsters. On normal servers, Monsters become a thing of the past and the night will belong to the mortals that once feared evil mobs.

Anyway aside from that, please do record and tell me the end result of you constructing a hedron. The same effect can be completed with a smaller hedron but it won’t trap as many monsters across the server. So tell me what you think?

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
Post reported for posting a guide on how to grief a server to where other players can't get mob loot.

I just posted a guide on how to make a functional hedron, its up to the players who read this and decide how they should use the knowledge. Besides its something that works both in single and multiplayers, and can serve as the foundation for an awesome self sustaining base if you were to put a layer of grass at the middle of it and light up, plant trees and get some water going.

ouT|Phaze

Jul 29, 2019
It is still a guide on how to grief a server, and you even state that in your post multiple times.

"Now whether you want to this to do prevent mobs from spawning or technically grief an entire server."

And

"I forewarn you, there is consequences associated with building this structure for you shall become both the savior and destroyer of servers. On faction servers, you will dominate others by crippling them of needed resources (Enderpearls, Bones, Arrows, String, and Gunpowder) that they extract from monsters."

This is telling people how to exploit a mechanic, and is not allowed in these forums.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It is still a guide on how to grief a server, and you even state that in your post multiple times.

"Now whether you want to this to do prevent mobs from spawning or technically grief an entire server."

And

"I forewarn you, there is consequences associated with building this structure for you shall become both the savior and destroyer of servers. On faction servers, you will dominate others by crippling them of needed resources (Enderpearls, Bones, Arrows, String, and Gunpowder) that they extract from monsters."

This is telling people how to exploit a mechanic, and is not allowed in these forums.

It's fine, leave it to the moderators to decide if it's allowed or not.

ouT|Phaze

Jul 29, 2019
TIL it's fine to teach people how to grief. Lots of respect lost for the official forums, then, if that's allowed. That's bullshit.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Unless I am missing something, this is not griefing as you don't destroy anything and only works while players are close by enough to spawn in mobs inside it.
And even if that is not the case mobspawners in dungeons still work and so should other forms of mob spawning due to them not giving a single crap about the mob cap. This means that you can still get the drops from zombies, skeletons, spiders and blazes.
Gunpowder often has a recipe which only leaves ender pearls missing (and ghast tears but other then certain potions that I don't think people care about I can't think of anything that uses them), depending on the mods installed you can also get them (You can also gain eyes of ender from villagers if I remember correctly, thus you might be able to turn that back into ender pearls as well).

Thus what I see is a giant (and awesome) build, that has limited working times and even when it works people can work around it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
TIL it's fine to teach people how to grief. Lots of respect lost for the official forums, then, if that's allowed. That's bullshit.

This is something that is well documented on other locations on the internet. This is something that is 100% needed to know in order to play Better Than Wolves, for example. Calling it griefing is incorrect, it's utilizing game mechanics.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
So, other than the lore perspective, what is the significance of placing it at +1000,+1000?

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
So, other than the lore perspective, what is the significance of placing it at +1000,+1000?
Placing one at every thousand blocks is because of the location because this build by design is suppposed to take up a number of chunks and trap all the mobs on a server without overloading the server's RAM. This build takes up about roughly 30 to 40 chunks, and building one of these took me about several hours by hand, half that with a builder's wand. Now some science behind this is that averagelt players load 10 chunks around so if this structure was manned by 3 to 4 players, it would be at max efficiency.

Initially I designed this structure to become a mega base but in the process discovered its hidden nature true to my inspiration, of course I was more interested in have the largest physical base in the server. While I built Mobs would spawn in droves to the point where Mob Grinders lost their efficiency, both traditional and ones that relied on spawners, and in chat I saw people complaining about their grinders not working. Now the fact that my Hedron base even in its unfinished state was responsible for this hindrance to mob drop production, so I finished construction then to satisfy the admins of the server I built it on, I put magnum torches down.

Now I have yet to test this out in vanilla but I presume this will cripple any server, namely factions, that provide spawners for sale and shutdown their production. I'd really like to see the results of a vanilla construction taking effect, and if potentially built on a factions server you and your faction could control a server that way.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Post reported for posting a guide on how to grief a server to where other players can't get mob loot.
Nah, this isn't teaching people how to grief servers. It's teaching people about a well known mechanic, called 'honeypots'. Vechs speaks on this topic quite a bit while talking about the design and construction of his Super Hostile maps, and how his beginning areas had a plethora of 'honeypot' spaces for mobs to spawn in to make the area less dangerous, and later areas became less porous so you had more mobs to deal with. And then taking this to the ultimate degree.

It's no different than telling people that lava can burn things and dumping a bucket of lava on a wooden house is a way to grief someone. It's true, it is also self-evident. Griefers gonna grief, but there are also those who can use this knowledge in single player worlds to 'take back the night'. However, there's one thing I don't think has been referenced about this build that is perhaps the single most powerful concept...

This is the ultimate mob grinder. At the bottom, leave a gap for mobs to fall through (probably 3 x 3 to make sure spiders can fit), and you have pretty much All The Spawns ready for harvesting.

Reactions: Padfoote