GTX 570 Crashing Issue

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if this kind of thing is on the wrong portion of the forums, but I saw the support forums was closed March 4.

Edit : Sorry left this part out, I play many others games, from Rise of Nations, to DayZ, to Warcraft 3, and no other game has this issue.

I've built this computer about 3 years ago (specs below) and have not had any trouble until the last month. About a month ago, while playing FTB (Tech world, Horizons, Unleashed, I tried several packs) after 5 minutes - 6 hours, my screen would go black. I could still hear programs running and that pointed me towards my graphics card and drivers. Just in the past week this problem has gotten even worse and it usually crashes 1 sec - 5 minutes now. I've heard a few other cases on this similar topic, i'll post what I've tried :

Installing Evga essentials for up to date drivers and associated programs.
Full PC cleaning with CCleaner
Replacing the Thermal paste on the GPU (I actually did have a overheating problem due to this, after so much use I simple needed to replace the paste but the problem persists)
Update drivers for any and all hardware components that may have some effect on the GPU's output.
Turning off Threaded Optimization
Turning off Antialiasing and antisotropic filtering
Updating Java to it's 64Bit equivalent (I was running 32 on a 64 computer)
Resetting Nividia graphical settings to defaults
Resetting Bios settings to defaults
Changing minecraft version numbers (was testing to see if it was a version issue)
Using older drivers for my GPU (Tried a number off different versions)
Raising and lowering GPU clocking and voltage (used EVGA Precision)

Sadly, none of these helped the situation. Although a side note, before this problem, I hadn't updated the GPU's drivers in probably a year simple because it was working, but after the issue I made sure to update. With Evga Essentials, since the overheating issues, I've payed close attention to the GPU's heat and fan speed and all I've deemed normal (50 C on desktop, 50 - 65 C on most games). Also I've mucked around with the settings of my in game client to see if a 'feature' of this game was somehow causing some issue in the background and haven't found a source yet. So, with this, I'll leave my pc specs (Pulled from CPU-Z although I did build this computer my self) and remind you that this issue has NOT effected me until merely a month ago after 3 - 4 years of extended use.

Full specs in pastebin link, or skimmed specs below.
pastebin.com/tZSjhFsM

AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor
Motherboard, ASUSTeK M5A99X EVO
16 GBytes DDR3 Duel channel
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 GF110
650W cooler master psu

I've been diagnosing this problem for the past week and am getting very frustrated, if if anyone can find a solution that I haven't tried, I would be in your dept.

Thank you for your time and any help provided,
-Solara Scott (aka xtremekiller (older name))

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Its not uncommon for video cards to go bad, have you tried playing other games and using a stress tester?

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Its not uncommon for video cards to go bad, have you tried playing other games and using a stress tester?

Sorry left this part out, I play many others games, from Rise of Nations, to DayZ, to Warcraft 3, and no other game has this issue.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Where did you measure the temperature of the GPU? In the GFX software?
You sure you didn't apply too much thermal paste? used to be a common mistake back in the days when people were replacing CPU heatsinks.

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
I do actually repair computers for a living at the moment (as a side occupation), replacing thermal paste is no longer a challenge to me; if you are curious, I used Arctic Silver 5 and isopropyl alcohol 91% as a cleaning solution. For thermal measurement I use(d) EVGA Precision and Afterburner from MSI.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
While you clearly know what your doing, AS5 is no longer the best thermal paste. Its several years old and better pastes exist.

For examples, see these results from testing done by TomsHardware. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/thermal-compound-charts/-1-Thermal-Conductivity,3361.html

As for your video card issue, have you tried running in full screen and/or disabling sleep mode on your monitor? Sounds like your video card or monitor is not recognizing that your doing anything so it blacks out the screen to save power. Happens a ton with people that use laptops to watch movies and don't move the mouse occasionally.

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
While you clearly know what your doing, AS5 is no longer the best thermal paste. Its several years old and better pastes exist.

For examples, see these results from testing done by TomsHardware. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/thermal-compound-charts/-1-Thermal-Conductivity,3361.html

As for your video card issue, have you tried running in full screen and/or disabling sleep mode on your monitor? Sounds like your video card or monitor is not recognizing that your doing anything so it blacks out the screen to save power. Happens a ton with people that use laptops to watch movies and don't move the mouse occasionally.

Actually never thought about that haha, great idea but I do have sleep and screen saver mode completely disabled since i'm using a tower, but really good suggestion and i'll check to make sure the settings are still in place. I have not tried full screening the game though, I will test that in a moment and report back to this post of the results. Also it does not turn just black, it does pick a color such as green, pink, yellow, blue, at a glance, a random color.

Another note, I do realize that AS5 is not the best any more, but it was simple a paste I knew was good (even if it is a older paste) and was available at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Actually never thought about that haha, great idea but I do have sleep and screen saver mode completely disabled since i'm using a tower, but really good suggestion and i'll check to make sure the settings are still in place. I have not tried full screening the game though, I will test that in a moment and report back to this post of the results. Also it does not turn just black, it does pick a color such as green, pink, yellow, blue, at a glance, a random color.

Honestly, that sounds exactly like a failing video card or monitor. I would highly suggest running Furmark or similar stress testing software for a few minutes. Take caution, if the card is failing, stress testing could push it over the edge and cause further issues. That is sort of the point though, to make sure your GPU is stable.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, that sounds exactly like a failing video card or monitor. I would highly suggest running Furmark or similar stress testing software for a few minutes. Take caution, if the card is failing, stress testing could push it over the edge and cause further issues. That is sort of the point though, to make sure your GPU is stable.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Fullscreen did not fix this issue and sleep settings we optimal.

I have ran two stress tests already, Heavens Benchmark and Valve's Lost Coast (a older stress test but works). Heaven's Benchmark came back (on max graphics) with a 36 fps average while Lost Coast came back with a 45 fps average. Going to download and run Furmark in just a moment.

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Furmark test results using Burn in, 1920 x 1080. Score: 1493 (24 FPS, 60000 ms) Max GPU Temp: 75 C, FPS Min: 18, max:34, avg:24.

Need any further details from the results? I will save the file in case you would like to know more.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, those results are ideal. Sounds like a bug with Minecraft or one of the mods. Can you test if this occurs in vanilla and/or a smaller pack like Lite 2?

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds a lot like a loose or failing vga cable.

It could also be a stress issue.. FTB is running long enough to push something over the edge, while the benchmark apps dont run long enough.

But cards DO go bad after a while. I was highly annoyed when my GTX285 died, but the gtx580 upgrade was well worth it.

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, those results are ideal. Sounds like a bug with Minecraft or one of the mods. Can you test if this occurs in vanilla and/or a smaller pack like Lite 2?

Heh, you and I think alike in that. So at first I used the Tech World V2 pack, after I kept getting issues I tried Horizons and Monster. Both have the same issue. I tried removing all mods from the pack and seeing if it was a mod that was generating something that caused it to crash. (still crashed) and of course tried vanilla and same thing.[DOUBLEPOST=1394150807][/DOUBLEPOST]
This sounds a lot like a loose or failing vga cable.

It could also be a stress issue.. FTB is running long enough to push something over the edge, while the benchmark apps dont run long enough.

But cards DO go bad after a while. I was highly annoyed when my GTX285 died, but the gtx580 upgrade was well worth it.

I tried running Heaven's Benchmark for 15 minutes (I can rerun the test and post results) and I have two monitors, a LG (E2742) and a Acer (G235H), the Lg is using a HDMI cable while the Acer is using a DVI. When the device crashes, it effects both screens. It could very well be just the card is older and is wearing down, but i'll hold out hope that it isn't until that is the last option.

Also a note on the monitors, just tried using each as a external monitor for my laptop while playing FTB and no issues on it.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with kittle, try a different cable if you have one available. At this point we have eliminated everything except the cable and your operating system.

xtremekiller

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with kittle, try a different cable if you have one available. At this point we have eliminated everything except the cable and your operating system.

Very well could be something has changed with the OS that doesn't agree with my system in some regards. My Laptop is running windows 8 and has no problems, but assuming it is a windows 7 issue with GTX 570, there are far to few posts to be a problem that is widespread.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have Optifine? There's a documented glitch with Multi-Core chunk loading that may be the cause, if you have it.