Greyed out icons in the text editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philo

Jul 29, 2019
The Insert link and Unlink icons in the Rich Text editor are always greyed out for me, this goes for Quick Reply as well as the full featured editor. All other icons are displayed and working.
I tested with Opera 12.14 (main browser) and Firefox 21.

If this is not only for me but for everyone, I fail to see the logic behind such a restriction, especially since a manual insertion of the required URL tags works fine.

Is there an option in the profile settings somewhere that might have escaped me?

Thank you for your time.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Are you highlighting text before trying to click one of the buttons? It works fine for me, and I never set anything in the settings.

You're meant to highlight the text you want to be a link, then click the "Insert/Edit Link" button.

Reactions: Philo

Philo

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I see. Looks like I was too accustomed to the way other board software handles this (vBulletin, phpBB), where you click a button and then a message box asks you for the text you wish to have displayed as a link before asking for the URL.

But this seems to be somewhat of an issue nonetheless - which is probably why I couldn't find the solution myself:
If, in a new editor window, I highlight a word via double click or marking with the mouse from left to right, the buttons become available. If, however, I use the mouse to mark from right to left (as I do by habit), then in 80-90% of the cases the buttons stay greyed out. Marking a second or third word the exact same way makes the buttons kick in; from then on, highlighting will function either way, even on the first word.
I ran more than half a dozen tests and it was always like that.

This is strange, but certainly a negligible issue. All I need to remember is to change my highlighting habits ;)

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.