Gregtech Survival Guide

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I had cable fires at LV until I did what Pyure said - I began using 4x Tin Cable with 4-battery Buffer Boxes. Fires were rare, the much more common problem was that a machine would not have enough amps and would get stuck in that endless loop making that horrible sound.

Starting at my Railcraft Steam Tank, I have 4 Tank Valves with an Ender IO fluid conduit attached to each one. These conduits then combine into one line and goes directly to 4 GT LV Steam Turbines. On the output side of the Turbines, 4x Tin Cable connects all 4 Turbines together and then I place my first 4-battery Buffer Box. After that comes 4 pieces of 4x Tin Cable in a straight line. On the 4 cables, I place 8 GT LV machines - 4 in front of the cable on the floor, and 4 directly on top of the cable. Then comes another 4-battery Buffer Box, then another 4 lengths of 4x Tin Cable with 8 more machines, then another Buffer Box, etc.

The 4 valves on the Railcraft tank were important. My batteries in the Buffer Boxes kept running down without it - the Turbines weren't getting enough steam quickly enough. Each Ender IO conduit-to-valve connection can handle 200 millibuckets of steam per tick, but the conduit itself can transmit 800 mb per tick, thus we need 4 valves on the tank with 4 extracting Ender IO conduits.

You might not need a Buffer Box every four lengths of cable, that just seemed like a good compromise to me. You might be able to just use one Buffer Box right at the beginning of the line and not use any of the subsequent Buffers, but I didn't experiment to see. I had the materials so I went ahead and built multiple Buffer Boxes and batteries just to be safe and never have to worry about machines running out of power. It really depends how many machines you have in operation at the same time (which is another way of saying how many amps you are drawing at any one time).

Last edited:

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, well I was using 1x tin cable so that's probably the issue. I currently have a RC Steam Tank outputting to a GT Large Bronze Steam Pipe directly into the LV Steam Turbine (just 1 pipe). Then from the ST I had 1x tin cable going to my plate bender, wire mill, assembly machine, and fluid extractor. There was a 1 block gap with just a wire between the turbine and plate bender. This all worked fine and I could run all 4 machines at the same time without running out of EUs. When I watch the lone turbine it was staying consistently full of steam. So at this point all is well.

Then I built myself a extruder (cheaper rubber sheets) and placed it at the end of the row of machines and hooked up one more 1x tin cable. The extruder processed half a stack of rubber into sheets and then the cables started on fire. This makes me sad because I've got a lathe, thermal centrifuge, electrolyzer, and canner machine sitting there ready to be hooked up also. I'll need this equipment to make the batteries for my buffer box to the best of my knowledge, but anyways a 4 slot batter buffer box is next on my to-build list. When I have this set up I'll need to reconfigure things a bit to make room for it.

Going to 4x or even 8x tin cable is an option for sure. Also, would it make any sense to use a different metal type of cable other than tin? It looks like copper wire has a higher voltage drop rate (4EU/m) than tin (1EU/m). Would that mean more batter buffers? I didn't look at other metal types for wire because anything else would likely be too expensive for me right now, or just unavailable until I make a bunch more turbines, install my RC tank boiler, and set up an EBF.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok, well I was using 1x tin cable so that's probably the issue. I currently have a RC Steam Tank outputting to a GT Large Bronze Steam Pipe directly into the LV Steam Turbine (just 1 pipe). Then from the ST I had 1x tin cable going to my plate bender, wire mill, assembly machine, and fluid extractor. There was a 1 block gap with just a wire between the turbine and plate bender. This all worked fine and I could run all 4 machines at the same time without running out of EUs. When I watch the lone turbine it was staying consistently full of steam. So at this point all is well.

Then I built myself a extruder (cheaper rubber sheets) and placed it at the end of the row of machines and hooked up one more 1x tin cable. The extruder processed half a stack of rubber into sheets and then the cables started on fire. This makes me sad because I've got a lathe, thermal centrifuge, electrolyzer, and canner machine sitting there ready to be hooked up also. I'll need this equipment to make the batteries for my buffer box to the best of my knowledge, but anyways a 4 slot batter buffer box is next on my to-build list. When I have this set up I'll need to reconfigure things a bit to make room for it.

Going to 4x or even 8x tin cable is an option for sure. Also, would it make any sense to use a different metal type of cable other than tin? It looks like copper wire has a higher voltage drop rate (4EU/m) than tin (1EU/m). Would that mean more batter buffers? I didn't look at other metal types for wire because anything else would likely be too expensive for me right now, or just unavailable until I make a bunch more turbines, install my RC tank boiler, and set up an EBF.
tbh I'm a tiny bit surprised you'd get fires from your setup. Your turbine should only be outputting 1A, so machines should simply starve, you shouldn't be getting more than 1A in your lines.

That said, apparently packets of energy can "bounce", so if one is still kicking around in a cable when another comes along, boom, you have 2A in a line that accepts 1.

If you mouse over each cable type you can see what its maximum voltage and amperage is. Copper does have a higher drop rate, but Annealed Copper does not. You don't care either way howevr because these are 128 (MV) cables, and you're only outputting 32 (LV).

Remember: You can transmitted as many amps of 32eu on a cable as you want, so long as you don't exceed the amperage allowance. 16x tin cable can handle 16 amps of 32 eu/t. 16x copper cable can handle 16 amps of 128 eu/t. etc :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Also, would it make any sense to use a different metal type of cable other than tin? It looks like copper wire has a higher voltage drop rate (4EU/m) than tin (1EU/m). Would that mean more batter buffers? I didn't look at other metal types for wire because anything else would likely be too expensive for me right now, or just unavailable until I make a bunch more turbines, install my RC tank boiler, and set up an EBF.

I just type "cable" into NEI and look thru all the GT cable choices for the voltage I'm using. There's really no reason to select any cable other than the best one for your current voltage level, and the best cable is always the one with the lowest amperage loss per meter of cable (correction: it is voltage, or EU, loss per meter, not amperage loss). So there is always a "best" cable for any voltage level. There's no opinions in any of this, just facts. The limiting factor of course will be if you actually HAVE the materials to make the best cable. Sometimes we don't have that material so we need to use the next-best cable using materials we do have (or we can make) right now. Later on tho, we want to be certain to utilize the best cable once we can make them and once we do have the right raw materials.

tbh I'm a tiny bit surprised you'd get fires from your setup. Your turbine should only be outputting 1A, so machines should simply starve, you shouldn't be getting more than 1A in your lines.

I would get a fire under the following circumstance. I thought it was a bug, but I posted my experience and nobody seemed to have a good answer so... I dunno.

Thermal Centrifuge requires 2a of LV (its an oddball IC2 machine with a GT label). So I put a 4 battery buffer box with 4 batteries, however I only used 2x Tin Cable to connect the Thermal Centrifuge.

Under normal operation, no problems whatsoever - the machine only "draws" ("requests") 2 amps of current, and the 2x Tin Cable can handle 2 amps, so no fires, no problems at all.

Okay, everything working perfectly. But it is time for a world backup, I do them manually at intervals by copying the "saves" folder to another location on my hard drive. I press ESC, then click "Quit" to exit the game temporarily. I go to Windows Explorer and copy the "saves" folder. Backup completed, so now I return to the Minecraft window and go back into my game. As soon as it loads, my 2x Tin Cable is burning and melting and disappears. WHY??????

Apparently the 4-battery Buffer Box puts out 4 amps for a brief instant upon world startup, which starts a fire. But why should it put out 4 amps if the Thermal Centrifuge is only "drawing" 2 amps?

To me this was just an awful bug, but your theory about energy "bouncing" seems as good an explanation as any. It would literally happen every time I backed up my world (if the Thermal Centrifuge was operating) until I finally upgraded to 4x Tin Cable coming out of every 4-Battery Buffer Box.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So... has anybody tried GregTech 6.0 yet?!

As the reddit comments says... the only thing fully implemented at this early stage of v6.0.0 is worldgen, no machines are workable yet... but still... I'm curious about it! I'm no techno-wiz so I have no plans to test it out myself but would love to hear from others about it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2w2cp8/gregtech_6_has_been_released/

http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/com/gregoriust/gregtech/gregtech_1.7.10/index.html

Look at the tile sheet! LOL

"Hmmmm, I think the GregTech 6 tilesheet might be a bit too large. It's over the file size limit for the wiki."

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=180661#post180661

"Only now do I truly understand how great a mod gregtech is...
Wow...
a total of ~24336 items/blocks on that image sheet (rough count)"

Last edited: