Gregtech - Steve's Carts 2 + Cargo Manager automation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
H

headsh0t_harry

Hi all, I'm quite a n00b when it comes to MC, and play on a friends private server where they use Gregtech heavily (InfiTech 2 V3.2.21 modpack)

Whilst I don't mind this at all, my first proper experience at long-game play, I am having some real struggles working out how to automate my tree farm using Steve's Carts 2 and if possible would like some pointers or help.

I've installed the track, cart, Cargo Manager and also have built a Cargo Distributor. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect the Cargo Manager (or Cargo Distributor) to automatically pull wood out to put somewhere useful (such as my Coke Ovens for charcoal production?)

Currently the cart saws down the trees, plants saplings to replenish, collects wood, distributes into the Cargo Manager, collects any fuel and continues on its merry way. So that bit works well.

The problem is with automatically pulling the wood from the Cargo Manager. I did get it connected via wooden transport pipe with a Redstone Engine, but that just pulled everything out (wood, saplings, apples, and of course the fuel).

I've tried building various transport pipes, but they don't seem to work, and looking online for many a guide, they all suggest things that I seem unable to build (again, apologies for the ignorance, but our Gregtech seems build on the InfiTech 2 mod pack V3.2.21 - not sure if that makes a difference such as removing certain materials or objects that would make this easier?)

Either way, if someone is able to shove me in a way that can automate the wood from the Cargo Manager / Cargo Distributor that would be a big help.

Many thanks for reading.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
So, first option is if you have the resources, make an emerald pipe and then you can extract only what the filter is set for.

Second option is a bit more annoying to setup, but works well enough. One of the buttons in the cargo manager interface will split the inventories. On each section will be a colored button that can change the color of the inventory border, to one of the four sides. Set two of these to the color facing the track. One should be set to move fuel to the cart, and one to pull fuel from it. (You can set multiples to do this, but one thing at a time.)

Then place the Cargo Distributor either beneath, or beside the cargo Manager. Open it up and you'll see a moderately confusing interface. With the manager's inventory divided, the Cargo Distributor gives the ability to selectively interact with those inventories. So pick the external face with the color you want to connect to, and then open the distributor. If you drag and drop the inventory you want that side to interact with onto it's color, then pipes that connect to that side, such as the wooden one, will then be able to interact with that side. Doing the same with the fuel section, will allow you to automatically input fuel into the Manager.

H

headsh0t_harry

Thank you so much for your help - I'll try this all out this evening.
I don't mind the resource requirements, i'll just head out and find what I need, my main issue was simply getting the thing connected, and you appear to have helped with that.

Using the wooden piping, will I still need a Redstone Engine for this operation?

Thanks once again!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes, the pipe will still need a Redstone Engine. The other option is an Autarchic Gate which is any gate combined with an Ender Chip in the Integration table, at least normally. Not sure how Infinitech has changed the recipe.