Gregtech Rubies

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThePokepika99

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on FTB 1.5.2/wGT pack.
I'm just tought about making Dragon Egg Energy Siphon and then making Lightning Rod, because high Flux levels ups change to Thunderstorms. (Or then I make Mystcraft age with Endless Storm and build UU-Factory there.

But I have little problem...
I don't have nearly enough Rubies to make 6 Highly Advanced Machine Blocks and I'm not gonna Centrifuge crapton of Redstone to get enough chrome.
Mining rubies has become much harder, when Greg added this few-sides only-have-ore-textures-thing.
Quarrying is annoyingly slow and because you can't enchant quarry, you will only get 1 ruby per ore.
I'm currently working on those Ruby Bees, but they are bit slow. Later I will use them to make Chrome factory.

So does anybody have any good way of getting Rubies?

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Centrifuging is not that bad if you make a multiple centrifuges and give them 2-3 overclock upgrades.

Ruby bees, well if you like doing bees go for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1374142399][/DOUBLEPOST]but yeah those 2 options are your best bets.

ThePokepika99

Jul 29, 2019
Centrifuging is not that bad if you make a multiple centrifuges and give them 2-3 overclock upgrades.

Ruby bees, well if you like doing bees go for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1374142399][/DOUBLEPOST]but yeah those 2 options are your best bets.

If you do some math you'll find something crappy. 10 Redstone dust = 1 Ruby Dust, 9 Ruby Dust = 1 Chrome Dust. And I need 20 Chrome dust. So... 90 Redstone per 1 Chrome dust... 1800 Redstone dust for 20 Chrome. + Tons of time
So I'm probably not gonna go that route. :p

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
Parallelization is the key here.There are no valid reasons to NOT have more than one centrifuge running in parallel.
If you set up a quarry in a ruby biome you'll get both rubies and redstone to make the chrome dust. Make it max size and after every layer dig out all rubies-RS with silk touch and you'll have enough in no time.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that flux lightning counts towards the lightningrod....
This is correct - a GT lightning rod doesn't get 'struck' by lightning, it just has a random chance of producing energy during a thunderstorm (or even during rain if its really tall).

As for gathering chrome, when you have a quarry, 1800 redstone isn't really a lot. Though you may prefer to build a tunnel bore instead since that only mines at a specific y co-ordinate.

To be honest, since I do most of my quarrying in oceans to avoids having massive holes in the ground, I find titanium is more of an issue than chrome.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a quarry and want to maximize your output, grab your trusty Rock Cutter and a jetpack, and go sit in the quarry hole as it digs.

And then silk touch ALL THE THINGS!

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
If your intent is to simply make it rain 24/7 for maximum lightning rod potential, Forestry has a rainmaker machine that requires reagents from industrious and imperial bees, if I recall right. And it can be automated with a rain sensor.

ThePokepika99

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't 1800 Redstone dust a trivial sum? Set up a witch spawner and leave your system running chunkloaded for a day. Go do something actually fun while that cooks up.
Didn't remember, that Witches drop redstone. And I just happen to have Jungle temple half in jungle, half in swap, so finding Witches is no problem! Thx buddy! :D

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
there's an option in NEI called Highlight tips, when you set it to "shown" a small image will appear top center of your screen, telling you what block you're looking at.
you can go even further and install WAILA, which will tell you from what mod the block is, and let's you use shortcuts to enable/disable this feature.

so with this, if you find 1 ruby ore, you can look around the ore and see if there's more hidden ruby ores

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought lightning rods are way overpriced for what they actually give you. 25 million EU just isn't that much.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe Greg anticipated people putting them in eternal storm mystcraft ages.

If you want it in the overworld, just fire 2 storm shots from the xeno's handgun to make a thunderstorm.

Surely people who would do such a thing are not considered part of Greg's userbase? ;-)

Roachy

Jul 29, 2019
Just stopping by to say this thread has been immensely informative.

And yeah, Greg has taken all of my rubies :[ I'm with OP, once I get ruby bees I am going to set up a chrome factory and pave a road with Advanced Machine Casings that leads to a monument made of Highly Advanced Machine Blocks in the shape of a giant pink... well, you know:cool:

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
just wanna reiterate on shakie666

it costs less than 1 lapis 1 gold and 2 iron to make a thunderstorm with the hunter's handgun and storm ammunition.