Gregtech industrial grinder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so im using a GT Industrial grinder to make platinum out of ferrous and mercury since I'm setting up my new base i dont really have a good setup for power so i hooked up a MV Solar panel to the industrial grinder and it keeps saying insufficient energy line it is using way more than 128EU/T There are no upgrades on this machine i only made it today also i have placed it next to a MFE Leading into the industrial grinder to test my theory on whether it uses more power and it dose it drains far more power than 128EU/T Can anyone tell me why and maybe a way to stop it from draining so much! thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1371067251][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok so im using a GT Industrial grinder to make platinum out of ferrous and mercury since I'm setting up my new base i dont really have a good setup for power so i hooked up a MV Solar panel to the industrial grinder and it keeps saying insufficient energy line it is using way more than 128EU/T There are no upgrades on this machine i only made it today also i have placed it next to a MFE Leading into the industrial grinder to test my theory on whether it uses more power and it dose it drains far more power than 128EU/T Can anyone tell me why and maybe a way to stop it from draining so much! thanks
By the way guys this isent a complaint about GT I Just wanted to know why its useing more than it says and a way to fix it without needing more power

SilverStar

Jul 29, 2019
Your problem is that the GT Industrial grinder will use power even without work to do. Remove the grinder block, let the MFE build up power and put the grinder back. While I really don't use GT much I believe that's your problem. hope this helps.:) Edit: You may need more power than a MV solar array.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Periods. They aren't just for girls.
This really isn't helpful......[DOUBLEPOST=1371068102][/DOUBLEPOST]
Your problem is that the GT Industrial grinder will use power even without work to do. Remove the grinder block, let the MFE build up power and put the grinder back. While I really don't use GT much I believe that's your problem. hope this helps.:) Edit: You may need more power than a MV solar array.
Still it shouldn't use more than the max it takes in that is stupid isn't it i mean he's telling us it needs 128/t for this recipe and yet it uses a lot more.... but thank you for trying to help :)

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Erm, no it doesn't...? I have three hooked up and they're draining zero EU/t unless they're working.

However, a MV solar array generates 64 EU/t (not 128 EU/t). You'll need two MV solars to power it.

Solar Panel: 1 EU/t
LV Array: 8 EU/t (8x 1)
MV Array: 64 EU/t (8x 8)
HV Array: 512 EU/t (8x 64)

SilverStar

Jul 29, 2019
The grinder takes at max 128/t like an Induction furnace. And now you have me interested I've got to test this myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1371069168][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks Omicron, I' am really green in GT as you can see. Plus watching a youtuber playing with GT doesn't make up for not playing GT myself.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
Erm, no it doesn't...? I have three hooked up and they're draining zero EU/t unless they're working.

However, a MV solar array generates 64 EU/t (not 128 EU/t). You'll need two MV solars to power it.

Solar Panel: 1 EU/t
LV Array: 8 EU/t (8x 1)
MV Array: 64 EU/t (8x 8)
HV Array: 512 EU/t (8x 64)
Oh well this explains alot thanks :) problem solved

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Your problem is that the GT Industrial grinder will use power even without work to do.

You are incorrect.

Instead, GT machines that run out of power reset to the start of the work cycle they are doing, losing any progress they have made. Then they start the work cycle again, and quickly run out of power again.

This behavior is configurable.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, come to think of it.

I often have the issue that if I ever get a machine to run out of juice like DoctorOr explained, then I can't get it to run again unless I wrench it. It will constantly attempt to continue working but reset over and over, even when fed far more power than is required to run them. I've had a machine requiring 32 EU/t hooked up to a LV transformer providing four times that much, and it still was not able to recover.

I think this might be the phenomenon that SilverStar describes, and it would explain why Colensocon's grinder won't recover. Suggestion: Pick up the grinder with a wrench, let the MFE charge up a bit, and then place the grinder back down. It should behave then. But try not to run out of power again (a second MV solar should take care of that, as mentioned before).

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, come to think of it.

I often have the issue that if I ever get a machine to run out of juice like DoctorOr explained, then I can't get it to run again unless I wrench it. It will constantly attempt to continue working but reset over and over, even when fed far more power than is required to run them. I've had a machine requiring 32 EU/t hooked up to a LV transformer providing four times that much, and it still was not able to recover.

I've never had a problem with it recovering, if i supply it enough power. Often times the only way to do that is to disconnect it from the grid and allow storage to build up.

Note that if you wrench a machine in this state, you lose the item it was working on.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but as I said, it's hard to feed more power to a LV machine than a downconverted MV current :p It was a chemical reactor, for the record, and it was going straight MFE->Transformer->Reactor, with just one copper cable in between. The MFE was full initially, and by the time I gave up and wrenched the reactor because it still failed to recover, it had eaten a quarter of the MFE's capacity for zero progress. I've observed the same behavior with centrifuges as well, a 5 EU/t machine unable to recover on the 32 EU/t current from a batbox.

I'm running GregTech 3.05e in a custom 1.5.2 pack though, not the borderline unplayable 2.90 beta in the Ultimate pack...

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That's just a graphical bug, the machines recover but the text stays on until they finish the current cycle. Easily reproduceable, I could give you a screenshot with the text and the progress bar in the middle :).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Except for me it wasn't.

There was no moving progress bar and after more than 2 minutes the machine still did not recover. Again, as I already wrote above, I waited until it drained a quarter of a MFE to finish a 12,800 EU job, and it still had zero progress.

Not saying that your experience is wrong (I'm sure you can give me that screenshot), and it did work like this for me in GregTech 2.8x versions. But in 3.05, I am seeing a different picture.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Except for me it wasn't.

There was no moving progress bar and after more than 2 minutes the machine still did not recover. Again, as I already wrote above, I waited until it drained a quarter of a MFE to finish a 12,800 EU job, and it still had zero progress.

Not saying that your experience is wrong (I'm sure you can give me that screenshot), and it did work like this for me in GregTech 2.8x versions. But in 3.05, I am seeing a different picture.

Right, odd, try this: use an MFSU instead of an MFE, hook the machine up trough a transformer.

thijser

Jul 29, 2019
Did you account for wireloss? If you lose 1 eu per packet on the wires and your system produces 128eu/tick then you are delivering 127eu/tick which is not enough to power a 128eu/tick machine.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
As I already wrote above, it was a 32 EU/t machine powered with 128 EU/t via a LV transformer, and only 1 single piece of copper cable (=0 loss)...

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
As I already wrote above, it was a 32 EU/t machine powered with 128 EU/t via a LV transformer, and only 1 single piece of copper cable (=0 loss)...

This fails because of the packet system of EU. A MFE will only output 128EU packets. You have a single machine requesting 32EU. The MFE will not output any packets until the total combined request is 128 or more.

Place a batbox between the transformer and the chemical reactor, or use a storage upgrade on the reactor itself.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Shouldn't the completely empty chemical reactor request more than just 32 EU though? Besides, even if it requested only 32 EU, it would instantly get them from the transformer. Which incidentally has an internal buffer, so using an additional batbox won't change a thing except choke the possible 4x 32 EU per tick down to 1x 32 EU per tick. No, something else is going on. I can try the storage upgrade I suppose...

But then again I've since progressed from the hacked together first few machines to a factory complex with 40 million EU in storage and up to 1024 EU/t made available to the machine banks. I reckon that so long as I never have any machine run out of EU, I'll never see this bug/feature/whatever again. ;)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Shouldn't the completely empty chemical reactor request more than just 32 EU though?

It does not. By default, it has no internal buffer at all.

Besides, even if it requested only 32 EU, it would instantly get them from the transformer. Which incidentally has an internal buffer, so using an additional batbox won't change a thing except choke the possible 4x 32 EU per tick down to 1x 32 EU per tick.

The transformer does not buffer in that manner. It is cleared every tick.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
let me clearly explain whats happening since everyone else here is either being a dick about it or not putting all of the pieces of the puzzle together -_-

the industrial grinder requires a constant draw of 128eu/t or it will reset its progress. Also, it works like most modded machines in that it eats the components to process prior to completing, unlike a vanilla furnace. Whats happening is the machine is trying to process an ore in its "invisible" queue on an insufficient power draw, and constnaly resetting, wasting the energy.

Your solar only genrates half of that, so you have to have a buffer, in this case, an MFE. The MFE has to be hooked up directly to the machine or with glass fiber cables *no gold cables.* either you have it hooked up while attempting to charge the MFE, sucking the power away, or you have it hooked up via lossy cables so its not receiving the required energy.

Here are your options. If you're using gold cable, break it, wait for the MFE to charge, then replace with glass. If youre already using glass, either break the cable and wait for it to charge, then replace, or use the following lever method. If the MFE is directly on the machine, change the redstone behavior to "do not output energy" and put a lever on the MFE. Flip the lever until the MFA is charged, then release.

Optimally, I suggest you increase your power systems as they can't support this machine for continuous processing. However, it was still worthwhile to build because of the yields helping you get there quicker.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Poppycocks