GregTech in FTB Ultimate 1.1.0 and Reactors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dedbbs

Jul 29, 2019
So, I fed my reactor its fuel today, and a couple of hours later someone said they heard an explosion. Well, seems that my Mark 1's are no longer Mark 1's. Thankfully, I had the accidental foresight to nerf the reactor explosion power to 1.0 when upgrading, so no real damage was done. My reactors were Mark 1's and used a combination of Thorium-Plutonium fuel and have never had any problems. Nobody touched them.

I upgraded the server to version 1.1.0 yesterday, and I'm 99% sure this is the culprit. I read in the FTB Ultimate Changelog that:
  • Changed Plutonium and Thorium Cells, now using the multipulse System (and nerfed Thorium by 50% Lifetime).
Is one of the changes in GregTech. Does anyone know what this multipulse system is? Does anyone know if there's an updated online reactor planner being made to reflect this or is there some other way I can make a new reactor I'm sure of working using the GT Fuels? I have searched for information and I can't seem to find any (maybe my search terms are simply wrong or something.)

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
This post might help shed some light on it: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/cooling-this-reactor.21772/#post-268268
You could also try making a creative world, putting down a gregtech computer cube, and using the built-in reactor planner; I think that has a better chance of being updated than the online one.

Edit - Ah, whoops, misread which version you had upgraded to. The advice about the computer cube still stands, though.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
briefly: Thorium 50% less life span (13 hours -> 6, and therefore 50% less total power output), 50% less EU/t (single cell now produces 0.5 eu/t. However, read on) and multipulse. Multipulse allows each cell to produce random bursts of power (single thorium cell normally is 0.5/t but can produce 1/t occasionally, and from my experience, the chances are of that happening are around 50%). So my 4 quad reactor now is: low:40 high:80 avg: 60. Quite unstable imo.

Plutonium: The same. With multipulse. more heat for more power. You'd have to dedicate a 6-cham NR to cool 1 quad if you choose to use heat vents. And even then your design needs to be above average. This is likely why your reactor xploded. Guess what? happened to me too : P

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
briefly: Thorium 50% less life span (13 hours -> 6, and therefore 50% less total power output), 50% less EU/t (single cell now produces 0.5 eu/t. However, read on) and multipulse. Multipulse allows each cell to produce random bursts of power (single thorium cell normally is 0.5/t but can produce 1/t occasionally, and from my experience, the chances are of that happening are around 50%). So my 4 quad reactor now is: low:40 high:80 avg: 60. Quite unstable imo.

Wait what? Which version is that?

There's no such feature in any 1.5+ version of GregTech, and I've been testing extensively - including a 3x3 quad thorium reactor that I monitored in great detail. The GregTech computercube, which runs IC2's exact reactor code inside its simulator, doesn't show any output fluctuation in any cell type or size either.

Are you sure you're not simply misinterpretating the fact that the EU-reader shows imprecise values for short measuring intervals?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019

Plutonium: The same. With multipulse. more heat for more power. You'd have to dedicate a 6-cham NR to cool 1 quad if you choose to use heat vents. And even then your design needs to be above average. This is likely why your reactor xploded. Guess what? happened to me too : P

The eu/t for thorium was never lowered, just the lifetime and heat were. The eu/t for plutonium was lowered, but its since been raised again, making it even more powerful than before.

By the way, even though the lifetime was halved for thorium, if you have an industrial grinder and you put some monazit ore in there, you'll now get 2 bonus thorium dusts instead of just 1. If, like me, you get quite a lot of monazit from quarrying, then you still have effectively as much thorium as before, only with lowered heat. God stuff all round :)

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
My thorium reactor is producing 40~60/t now :/ used to be a constant 80/t so yea.

MindCrack 8.3 (Unofficial) btw. My centrifuge inventories were wiped clear after the update. So might be a few bugs i guess.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Any time I try a new reactor design, I make a habit of checking the reactor's temperature several times after starting it up (and making sure the durability of my heat vents isn't going down) to be sure it's stable, no matter what the reactor planner tells me. Could help alert you to impending explosions in the future!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Any time I try a new reactor design, I make a habit of checking the reactor's temperature several times after starting it up (and making sure the durability of my heat vents isn't going down) to be sure it's stable, no matter what the reactor planner tells me. Could help alert you to impending explosions in the future!

Good precaution: in the lastest version of GT, both thorium + plutonium have been buffed, but the computer cube hasn't been updated. This is the sort of thing that causes explosions :p

For the record, here's how they were buffed: thorium now has +20% lifetime (30000 seconds rather than 25000), while plutonium got +20% eu/t (i.e. base eu/t is now 12 rather than 10). They didn't get an increase in heat though, meaning GT nuclear fuels are better than uranium now (if you get them from centrifuging re-enriched cells).

Nice vids btw :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Greg broke something. The cube isn't the only thing that didn't get the memo about the thorium changes, even the actual reactors are behaving funny with thorium.

He says he probably won't fix it for the time being, as it doesn't prevent the reactors from running (they just run strangely, toggling off on off on in rapid succession while emitting slightly too much EU/t and slightly too little heat), and he has plans to do a reactor system of his own since he's dissatisfied with the current one.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Greg broke something. The cube isn't the only thing that didn't get the memo about the thorium changes, even the actual reactors are behaving funny with thorium.

He says he probably won't fix it for the time being, as it doesn't prevent the reactors from running (they just run strangely, toggling off on off on in rapid succession while emitting slightly too much EU/t and slightly too little heat), and he has plans to do a reactor system of his own since he's dissatisfied with the current one.

Does he now? Well, this is rather exciting. Lets hope he does it before the modpacks are updated :) Do you know what his system will involve?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that was his response to my bug report, so I figure he's well enough aware :p

But no, I do not know what it entails. It's apparently a future project, "sometime before stargates".

Also, I suppose that the stuttering thorium reactors are the phenomenon that Riuga was seeing earlier in this thread.