GregTech Compression Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys!

Thanks for putting together this awesome mod pack and launcher. So far it has been fun to play with but I do have one suggestion.

I'm not concerned that the gregtech recipes are expensive (it adds an element of challenge I actually enjoy) however the change of needing to compress 9 items to make a block is, in my view, nonsensical and pointless. It changes a standard vanilla mechanic that will confuse people who come from vanilla with no modding background without a good reason.

I can think of no real benefit from enabling it, all it does is add a extra tedium and confusion to a process that should be simple. Its not even making things more difficult, it just seems a little pointless.

Unless there is a reason and benefit here I'm not seeing, I do not see a reason for them to be enabled. If anyone agrees or disagrees with this then please post and let me know!

SomeLuigi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure you can still craft them, I thought that was just an extra for automation purposes or something?

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
I tested crafting diamond blocks, iron blocks, gold blocks, lapis bocks and none of them worked without being compressed. I'm guessing that functionality also disabled the crafting recipe for them.

If the reason were automation or something like that then I would accept it. But even in that instance removing the option to craft the blocks doesn't achieve anything, it doesn't make it harder. It just means to need to take 1 more step to get the same job done.

That's not an ideology the rest of the pack seems to follow, thus my posting this thread in the first place.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, if you run it as included in the pack you have to use the compressor to make the blocks and to smelt them (metals) or macerate them (gems) to get the items back.

It's a pacing/"You must be this tall to ride this ride" kind of thing. I'm not too worried over it, but I'm sure some may be since it changes core vanilla behavior and that can be confusing.

SomeLuigi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's a bit painful
Also considering it renders the packager machine from Factorization well, useless.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's a bit painful
Also considering it renders the packager machine from Factorization well, useless.
Does the packager not still have the recipes available? If not, then that's definitely a problem.

Bnagers

Jul 29, 2019
I think more annoying is the need for a rolling machine to make mixed metal ingots. I like the idea there but it means you need a BC power source for your IC2 setup. I kinda feel that even though you're playing a whole mod pack you should still be able to focus on just one mod at a time if you wish.

But more annoying as a server admin, you can't change these config options without every player also needing to change their config files.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
I think more annoying is the need for a rolling machine to make mixed metal ingots. I like the idea there but it means you need a BC power source for your IC2 setup. I kinda feel that even though you're playing a whole mod pack you should still be able to focus on just one mod at a time if you wish.

But more annoying as a server admin, you can't change these config options without every player also needing to change their config files.
The rolling machine is a special Railcraft crafting table, it doesn't require energy as far as I'm aware.

Bnagers

Jul 29, 2019
Well as far as I'm aware... it does need power.

However, the Rolling Machine must be powered via a Buildcraft compatible energy source and can draw up to 5 MJ
Source: Railcraft wiki.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Well as far as I'm aware... it does need power.

Source: Railcraft wiki.
Hrm, must have changed in the latest version. I was going off of 1.2.5 experience. That's a bad change on Railcraft's part, IMO. The buildcraft power system is... well, not good. In any case, I guess we can use an electric engine to get around this.

SaintNicster

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm, must have changed in the latest version. I was going off of 1.2.5 experience. That's a bad change on Railcraft's part, IMO. The buildcraft power system is... well, not good. In any case, I guess we can use an electric engine to get around this.
The change was with 1.3 and beyond. Railcraft also added its own set of Buildcraft-compatible steam engines to power things.

0NightHawk0

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I am still unsure about GregTech, I understand why it's there as to add balance and all...but some things seem to be rather....redundant like the OP mentioned, and some things are rather very expensive to make now (like macerators needing diamonds...wha?)

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
And this discussion will keep happening. The faulty conclusion of "if you don't like it, don't use it" or "If you don't like it, go to another server" does not properly address the complaint, it sidesteps them and belittles the person you tried to foist that statement on, instead of a proper reply.

Allow me to wax poetic, but if it only slowed down IC2, it might be okay, wide spread damage to other mods is less okay. Slowing down the chainsaw and drill by making it advanced circuits, I understand, making it steel so that the nether is not just breached, but farmed before you can have a pick that does not break it expectations of patience beyond what is acceptable.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Gregs tech is one of those mods that if you like it then it is a really amazing mod, and well if you don't, then it can be a pain in the butt. Luckily as of right now we have multiMC and all of the configs that are available in Gregs tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.