Gregs-Config-Change 1.4.5

Excalibur42

Jul 29, 2019
The point of IC2 solars were that you needed a ton of them to be of any real value. Early on they were fine for a couple machines then you'd have to keep adding more and more which eventually became fairly expensive. It was always generally "cheaper" to make some of the others(Geo for example) but needed more attention which is what people didn't want to give. Solars offer free energy but very very little and to get enough for later you needed TONS of them which is what truly balanced them.

With some careful balancing I think having solar panels still expensive to make but have them generate more energy would work better than it does already, less CPU intensive having a few powerful solar panels than 7 or so solar flowers. I know there is that better solar panels add-on for IC2 (can't remember what its called) but that's kind of a cheap fix, using 8 solar panels to make a low voltage array, then a medium and finally a high voltage array.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
With some careful balancing I think having solar panels still expensive to make but have them generate more energy would work better than it does already, less CPU intensive having a few powerful solar panels than 7 or so solar flowers. I know there is that better solar panels add-on for IC2 (can't remember what its called) but that's kind of a cheap fix, using 8 solar panels to make a low voltage array, then a medium and finally a high voltage array.
I would maybe decrease gregs expense(That includes not using items from his mod) but not to the same level that they originally were generating the same EU/t but give you a couple or a few of them for each recipe. Because that in and of itself is more realistic because you need many of them to be effective irl. Something like how factorization uses the mirrors. Or possibly lower the EU/t but give a overall bonus EU/t if set-up in a certain way. Again the goal is balance not tedium. Greg seems to see the two as the same thing.

Excalibur42

Jul 29, 2019
I would maybe decrease gregs expense(That includes not using items from his mod) but not to the same level that they originally were generating the same EU/t but give you a couple or a few of them for each recipe. Because that in and of itself is more realistic because you need many of them to be effective irl. Something like how factorization uses the mirrors. Or possibly lower the EU/t but give a overall bonus EU/t if set-up in a certain way. Again the goal is balance not tedium. Greg seems to see the two as the same thing.

I agree with that, but I think something also overlooked is water and even wind mills. I understand that there being no real air currents in minecraft, wind mills are difficult to get right, but water mills should definently be buffed a fair bit more and again with GregTech be made a bit more expensive, but not too much. Hydroelectric power with water mills could be made so that making lots of water currents flow through and around the water mills generate significant more power than a stagnant pool.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Personally I feel there should be two stages of water mill in which you have to upgrade it similar to furnace -> iron furnace. Not sure what the names might be but the old basic versions of water mills are extremely cheap to produce irl(You could make one in about a day as a DIY) but produce small amounts of energy. Something like .5 EU/t or less. Cost dependent of course; then you could upgrade it to hydroelectric through crafting. More expensive than current water to upgrade good bit higher EU/t as well.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
I do agree with some things GregTech changes such as the water mill and solar panel recipes, if you didn't already know solar panels are damn expensive in real life and renewable energy power generation in the real world is quite a fair bit more expensive than the usual fossil fuel infrastructure, so the recipes in some way reflect that. And getting energy from the sun is OP anyway, unless its difficult to have that technology in the first place which is what GregTech addresses.
Yes, and in real life, it's also harder to get blaze rods to make magma cream when building steel. I've been to the closest real life nether fortress like 10 times and my real life jetpack usually runs out of fuel before I can use my real life nanosaber to kill the real life blazes. I'm glad that other than that though, IC and GT continue to mirror real life so well. I also agree about the sun being OP; I recently sent a letter to NASA asking them to nerf the sun.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, and in real life, it's also harder to get blaze rods to make magma cream when building steel. I've been to the closest real life nether fortress like 10 times and my real life jetpack usually runs out of fuel before I can use my real life nanosaber to kill the real life blazes. I'm glad that other than that though, IC and GT continue to mirror real life so well. I also agree about the sun being OP; I recently sent a letter to NASA asking them to nerf the sun.

Seriously? It's like you have a GT thread radar and make it a point to litter any constructive discussion with your bile. Everyone gets it, you don't like the mod and enjoy pointing out the flaws of those who do. Excal makes an observation about why he likes a certain aspect of it (which is subjective) and you respond like a sarcastic dbag. Get over yourself already.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Seriously? It's like you have a GT thread radar and make it a point to litter any constructive discussion with your bile. Everyone gets it, you don't like the mod and enjoy pointing out the flaws of those who do. Excal makes an observation about why he likes a certain aspect of it (which is subjective) and you respond like a sarcastic dbag. Get over yourself already.
He's using a hyperbole. You shouldn't be so easy to consider every possible thing as flaming or garbage. It quite easily makes the point that things in the mod being realistic isn't a valid point good or bad. It is a game and things can, and often are, illogical or fictional. This is something to be taken into consideration very heavily when you try to argue with "Well in real life..."

Some things are fine when they mirror or parallel real life to an extent but many things cannot be done that way. Such a mindset will eventually lead us to any type of machine or block higher than basics requiring to go through several different machines to be crafted at all.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
The "radar" is because that post was a reply to my post. You can click "Watched Threads" and it tells you if someone replied to you. Also, I have a real life redstone signal attached to this thread that triggers my real life autocrafting table to craft a response. If the reply looks sarcastic to you it's probably a texture bug. Install the correct version of Optifine.

Darlock Ahe

Jul 29, 2019
I've just made simple calculation about solar panel and how expensive it becomes with GT, here are results

GT

6 sand
8 coal
8 cobble
10 ref iron
4 tin
6 red stone
9 copper
13 rubber
16 clay dust or 32 flint dust

5 copper cables leftover

vanila IC2

3 sand
3 coal
8 cobble
10 ref ironn
4 tin
6 red stone
9 copper
13 rubber

5 copper cables leftover

Total difference in materials:

3 sand
5 coal
16 clay dust or 32 flint dust
You can get clay by centrifuging dirt and flint by crushing cobble and then macerating gravel.
Yes, you need to also build additional machines to produce it, but you are going to build them anyway, those machines are not exclusive to production of solar panels.
In the end recipe is not totally expensive, but at the same time is not available to you on day 2 of your play.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
In the end recipe is not totally expensive, but at the same time is not available to you on day 2 of your play.

Which is the problem most people have. Well that and they don't really want to learn a new recipe/new mod etc.

People generally don't want to sit and have to grind things out for several days or too many hours. The whole purpose of the mods is to bypass a lot of mindless tedium which GregT seems to find appealing as a "challenge". For some this is purely him trying to dictate the way he feels the game should be played but really it's not. He didn't have to give the option to turn off his changes. Overall I feel most of his changes are for those that find gathering materials for hours on end the better part of his mod and the machines he added can be generally appealing to most people. There are some changes though that add nicely to the later on even if they remove from the in-between stage.

Darlock Ahe

Jul 29, 2019
I'd seriously recommend you to have a better look at updated version of GT.
Yes in the beginning it slows your progress a bit, but when you take a look at the machines and what they do, you can setup a very effective system, which will give you more output from the stuff you gather.
And I think purpose of mods is not to bypass something, but to expand gameplay, if I wanted to bypass "mindless tedium" I'd spawn items from NEI (bit of exaggeration here). Minecraft is a sandbox, it has no ultimate goal, mods just give you more things to do and play with.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I don't really plan to look into GT ever. I don't really like it from what I've seen and/or tried. It gives you more output of resources that aren't necessarily all that valuable from the recipes I've breezed through. Again this is just my opinion on it. It is a plenty valid route for people to take but it's only one of many.

Imo mods can have any purpose really because as you said MC is a sandbox. EE2 was a great example of that. It's nearly sole purpose was to quash the time of early game and basically remove much of the gathering you needed to do. It wasn't OP; it's what it was meant to do. It was overpowered in relevance to being in a modpack and what not. Mods also generally outline a type of "end" game if they are a global mods like IC2, like EE, like BC. They generally give you a set of routes you can progress through. Some of these mods allow you to generally bypass something the mod author likely feels is unnecessary or boring. Treecapitator for example removes a large amount of time really early on because a lot of people find punching trees for 30 minutes is fairly boring. Also on the note of spawning items from NEI there are many people that never play the mods on survival and just build machines in creative to make the most effective thing they can come up with. That is their sense of accomplishment.

Besides not everyone wants slowed progress early on but want slowed progress later on.

Darlock Ahe

Jul 29, 2019
It gives you more output of resources that aren't necessarily all that valuable from the recipes I've breezed through.

And that is why I still suggest you to have a better look at newer version of GT.
It adds output of basic resources.
As example: When you put 1 copper ore in industrial grinder you can get 3 dusts + 1 tiny nickel dust + 1 tiny gold dust, or 2 copper dusts and 1 gold dust. Same is true for all other ores, every single one gives you additional materials.

Regarding slower progress further on, once you get beyond IC2 and into pure GT, you'd get slower progress, but as progress will get slower, benefits will become larger.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
And that is why I still suggest you to have a better look at newer version of GT.
It adds output of basic resources.
As example: When you put 1 copper ore in industrial grinder you can get 3 dusts + 1 tiny nickel dust + 1 tiny gold dust, or 2 copper dusts and 1 gold dust. Same is true for all other ores, every single one gives you additional materials.

Regarding slower progress further on, once you get beyond IC2 and into pure GT, you'd get slower progress, but as progress will get slower, benefits will become larger.
It would only slow if you go purely into GT and IC2. Thing is this pack isn't just those two. Regardless I won't ever look into GT. As much of a stubborn ass as that makes me.